Atlantic league scheme resurrected?

...that's just it! the guaranteed one isn't there and the potential one is reaping. Was that not the idea?

If either side of the OF were invited to join the EPL, despite the result being a struggle to compete nevermind qualify for Europe, do you think they'd knock it back?

The whole point should be to create a highly competitive league which allows the clubs involved an extended opportunity to realise their full potential. Why do we always have to be so dismissive and generally negative towards these type of discussions?

Celtic wont continue to get such favourable draws, and they dont get auto qualification into CL.

Fact is they done it this season and if the shoe was on the other foot I'd be rubbing my hands right now....they have a brilliant opportunity to up their co-efficient and already have - who's to say that wont be the case over the next 4 years? An Atlantic league is the last thing they want.

If either side of the OF were invited to join the EPL, despite the result being a struggle to compete nevermind qualify for Europe, do you think they'd knock it back?

The whole point should be to create a highly competitive league which allows the clubs involved an extended opportunity to realise their full potential. Why do we always have to be so dismissive and generally negative towards these type of discussions?

With respect mate I'm not being dismissive more like realistic...if the tables were turned and timmy were in Div3 and us playing Barcelona then an Atlantic league would get the vicky from me - that's all I'm saying, what's wrong with that?

I've got no problem with that at all mate. It's just that every time this type of hypothetical discussion is brought up it's met with derision.

To be honest I think the best chance it has of happening is if it's organised by UEFA. Why not ditch the current format and have a proper Champions LEAGUE and European CUP?

It really depends. Some countries who've been keen on the idea in the past may be less interested now due to recent success in Europe or otherwise increased revenues.

For it to really be a success it would need to have Holland and Portugal onboard at an early stage or else it would probably end up as a northern European league with the likes of us, the Irish pair and the Scandinavians. That WOULD struggle to take off.

If the bigger better version happened any time soon I can see Scotland only getting one spot which would probably initially go to Celtic. The OF derby would be attractive but lets not kid ourselves on that Scotland would get 2 places in a European Super League.

There's also the basic logistics of how it would integrate with the champions league.

We all know the Europa is an irrelevant competition that nobody cares about and it could become another version of it

At the end of the day it's not going to happen so c'est la vie. I don't know what we're going to do because we basically have a long term goal of competing in a league nobody wants to be in

Fact is they done it this season and if the shoe was on the other foot I'd be rubbing my hands right now....they have a brilliant opportunity to up their co-efficient and already have - who's to say that wont be the case over the next 4 years? An Atlantic league is the last thing they want.

But is their increasing of their co-efficient at the same rate as other teams, and nations, round about them in the standings ?

My point was that you were talking of a potential 17 million a year for 4 years. That could also be construed as a potential 1 or 2, rather than 17 - they arent guaranteed to get into the CL.

If an Atlantic league guaranteed them, say, an additional 6 million a year, would they go for the potential 17 or would they take the guaranteed money ? I dont know the answer and none of us do.

Either way though this is a moot point as I really dont see the Atlantic league happening - and I dont see Celtic qualifying every year - maybe that is just wishful thinking but they got a very favourable draw this year.