Atlantic league scheme resurrected?

I think it could only work if it did replace domestic football.

One way of working it would be each country involved is given and retains a quota. For example the likes of Holland and Portugal get 3 places while countries the level of Scotland get 1 or 2 places.

Clubs involved wouldn't have any domestic league obligations but would still participate in domestic and European cup competitions.

Could be an 18 or 20 team league with relegated teams replaced by their nation's top seeded teams. Seeding could be based on domestic performace over previous 3 years. So for example if Rangers or Celtic were relegated it would normally take at least 2-3 years to get back in.

Nations involved share European spots with the league giving it an overall higher level of involvement in the CL & EL than any other European league.

It would be the best league in Europe ...At least until it proved so successful that it was demoted to div2 of a larger model when the big guns want to join in.

A Dutch - Belgian Women's football test run won't tell us anything.

The big question imposed is if anybody would prefer to watch Rangers or their respective club play against unknown foreign clubs from far away countries rather than playing Scottish opponents. Think of the figures away fans would make up at the regular "league" fixtures. I don't think many would conceal the amount of time and money needed to watch Gers play in Sweden, Portugal or Belgium on a two - weekly basis.

The big question imposed is if anybody would prefer to watch Rangers or their respective club play against unknown foreign clubs from far away countries rather than playing Scottish opponents. Think of the figures away fans would make up at the regular "league" fixtures. I don't think many would conceal the amount of time and money needed to watch Gers play in Sweden, Portugal or Belgium on a two - weekly basis.

I don't think any of the teams would be unknown. Even we would have faced most of them in our recent history. Yes the number of away fans at the games would likely decrease slightly as fans would most likely pick and choose, but each team would have 17/19 home games where I'd expect attendances to unanimously increase.

Surely the whole point of the Atlantic league is there would be no 'unknown' element. It would be the cream of the crop outside the big 5 or 6 leagues

I really don't see it happening. The big clubs in the lesser leagues are now miles ahead of both the old firm as well

It really depends. Some countries who've been keen on the idea in the past may be less interested now due to recent success in Europe or otherwise increased revenues.

For it to really be a success it would need to have Holland and Portugal onboard at an early stage or else it would probably end up as a northern European league with the likes of us, the Irish pair and the Scandinavians. That WOULD struggle to take off.

If the bigger better version happened any time soon I can see Scotland only getting one spot which would probably initially go to Celtic. The OF derby would be attractive but lets not kid ourselves on that Scotland would get 2 places in a European Super League.

An Atlantic league would be of no interest to C*ltic right now...a potential CL windfall of a minimum £17M a year for the next 4 or 5 years is not to be sniffed at.

They will need to qualify and they wont get it as easy as they have this year

An Atlantic league would be of no interest to C*ltic right now...a potential CL windfall of a minimum £17M a year for the next 4 or 5 years is not to be sniffed at.

If it's a league which promises to be of similar stature to the EPL they'd be gone in a shot. Why choose a potential windfall over a guaranteed one?