Saturday, 20 October 2012 15:30

Gers Are In My Blood

Written by Andrew Dickson

5d86ca7df72084d7a770d805058ab00d_XL.jpg

KEVIN KYLE has an extra reason motivating him in his quest to be a hit at Rangers after discovering he is related to 1920s Ibrox icon Alan Morton.

It was a dream come true for the big striker when he joined the Light Blues on a one-year deal back in August after 18 months on the sidelines through injury.

But his delight was magnified somewhat by the fact he knew he was following in the footsteps of one of the club’s most prominent players from a golden era.

Morton was the first signing legendary manager Bill Struth made after becoming boss as he recruited the winger from this afternoon’s opponents Queen’s Park.

And despite being smaller than many of his opponents, the qualified mining engineer turned in some devastating performances using his excellent speed, control and balance.

He featured during a truly dominant spell for Struth’s team as it claimed so many major honours in the 1920s and early 1930s.

In all, Morton – nicknamed the Wee Blue Devil - spent 13 years plying his trade in Govan and won an astonishing nine championships along with three Scottish Cups.

Although he scored more than 100 times in competitive games for the club, he was arguably noted more for his assists due to the excellent service he provided for others.

On top of his efforts for Gers, Morton was also a Scotland international and one of the famous Wembley Wizards that beat England 5-1 in their own back yard in 1928.

Now 31, Kyle will never go on to enjoy the same levels of success his predecessor had in a glorious career with Rangers.

But that doesn’t take away from the fact he’s continuing along the same path as an esteemed family member and he is keen to make the most of his opportunity to shine.

Speaking today in matchday programme 'Ready', Kyle said: “Because he played for years himself, my dad always took the credit for me and said it ran from his side of the family.

“He thought he was quite good in his day but my mum’s brother had a look at our family tree and found I was related to Alan Morton.

“I’d never really done anything to find out my background but it’s nice to know we’re related and I’m very proud to be following in his footsteps.

“The Wee Blue Devil played for Rangers in the 1920s and he’s a legend. Everyone who supports this club knows about him.

“It turns out he is my great grandfather’s cousin and my granny, who passed away a long time ago, was Dorothy Morton.

“My dad was a bit gutted when he realised the football talents don’t necessarily run from his family.

“But all joking aside, it’s great when you come to Ibrox because the first thing you see when you walk up the Marble Staircase a big life-sized portrait of Alan Morton.

“Having that tie with him makes being a Rangers player now extra special for me, just like it was to play for Hearts before with my dad’s dad being a diehard Jambo.

“There aren’t many people who get the opportunity to play for this club and I’m really proud to be a part of it.”

Sheffield &Districts Loyal Club Meeting â?? 21.10.12

1 CHARLES GREEN â?? We dropped of at Ibrox before thegame on Saturday (20th October) a letter to Charles Green, alongwith an honorary membership and a club polo with extra embroidery (C.E.O.Branch lol). As CG is origionally from our local area we are the closest RSCfor him!! The letter made it clear we expect nothing from him re this, but itdid enclose our website address and my email address, so if I receive anycommunication from him I will forward it on.

On this day in 1987 Rangers and Aberdeen drew 3 - 3 aet. in the League Cup Final. Rangers won the penalty shoot-out 6 - 5. Thought by many to be the best LCF ever.

On this day in 1992 Rangers beat Aberdeen drew 2 -1 in the League Cup Final.