R. C. Hamilton has the unique distinction of being top scorer for Elgin City season 1895/96 and for Rangers in every one of his nine seasons from 1897/96 onwards. In his eleven internatonal matches he rattled the onion bag 15 times. Off season he bowled, batted and eventually kept wicket for Elgin CC.

1914/1918 he had the rank of Captain in the Cameron Highlanders. Elected to the Town Council post-war he became Lord Provost of the City and Royal Burgh of Elgin.

What a career.

Edited by Scott7

there are very few players who leave rangers and go on to greater things after leaving ibrox but bob sutherland became the world indoor bowls champion of the world in 1983 aye a world champion .

I suppose Gordon Ramsay also fits into that category although he was not really classed as a first team regular. I think you can say he has become a worldwide celebrity.

A Rangers Call to Arms.

Posted on February 27, 2012 by vallance

991914-1024x725.jpgThe Rangers Rifle Club (Click to enlarge)

Recent research has discovered that not long after the start of the First World War in 1914 The Rangers players and officials formed their own Rifle Club.

The Club would go on a Tuesday and a Thursday for practice at the Parkhead Forge Rifle Club.

Weâ??re almost certain that the robust elderly gentleman sitting centre is Mr. Tom Vallance.

dr-9-9-1914-300x66.jpgThe Daily Record 9th Sept 1914

et-9-9-1914-300x206.jpgThe Evening Times 9th Sept 1914

He gifted to William McNeil, a football. Not only did that ball see the birth of the Rangers, it saw probably the first recorded use of what has become a famous west of Scotland saying. When the great day came, the playing of Rangers’ first match against Callendar at Fleshers Haugh, Willie McNeil was told he was too old so would not be playing. Willie then uttered the immortal line, “Well it’s my ball and if I’m not playing, my ball’s not playing.”

In 1968, Rangers signed Ibrox legend Colin Stein from Hibernian for a Scottish record transfer fee of £100,000 - the first six-figure transfer between Scottish clubs.

Stein started his Rangers career in starting style, netting eight goals in his first three games and went on to become one of the most popular strikers to play for the club.