BBC reject claims of anti-Rangers bias

I've always been sceptical that there is an anti-Rangers 'culture' at BBC Scotland, I know people who work there and they are certainly not anti-Rangers. I've not got time to go into why I think we continue to rub up against the BBC just now but I'm happy to expand on it next week.

In terms of media bans I don't think the London bosses will care all that much if Rangers aren't cooperating with them. London has considerably weightier issues to deal with, they'll view this as a provincial spat in the sports department, to be dealt with on a local basis.

Working with the BBC to change their reporting, their behaviour and, in your words their culture, would be a far more productive way of improving this. A reasonable number of Scots rely on the BBC Scotland for their sports news, we're in effect hurting some of our own fans by imposing a ban. The BBC are not a commercial organisation, this won't affect them financially so who is going to apply the pressure?

It's just my opinion but I don't think we're boxing clever here, I know a wee bit about changing people's behaviour and one of the least effective ways is by ignoring them. McCoist should do his interview with the BBC at the weekend and should speak about this issue and only this issue. He should ask the interviewer if he/she thought it appropriate to depict him jumping out of a window, what were they inferring by showing that and what did they think his reaction would be? Don't speak about the game, the players or the tactics, we hold far more power that way. Saying that live on radio or TV would be a far more effective way of changing behaviour and setting the agenda.

That's just my take on it.

Some fair points there AMMS.

However I would imagine that there are far more people who work there that you do not know.

In my original article River Runs Through It I fully accept there was evidence which was included that was merely circumstantial and relied purely on inference ie the hugely contrasting no. of BBC Scotland employees who attended the UEFA cup finals.

However there was also evidence of blatant mischief making (at the very least) as evidenced by the Ally McCoist interview. The incident has been dismissed as "inappropriate editting" by BBC Scotland chiefs. We have still never been informed just what was the motivation behind it. You know its bad when even Keevins is calling it "a character assassination" on our manager.

Several months on, and following several protests at Pacific Quay, we still have this organisation besmirching our club. Its not as if we are jumping on the easily offended or paranoia bus - even the Samaritans have felt moved to criticise the Mad Men sketch.

One would have thought that given all the foregoing, BBC Scotland editorial staff would have at least tried to apply greater sensitivity to the their Rangers coverage, given that there is a perception of bias or an anti-Rangers agenda from within our support.

That has clearly not happened given the 2 recent incidents.

It was also be interesting to know, why BBC Scotland, who have set themselves up as something of a flagship against sectarianism

(1) Were the only major news outlet in Scotland who did not report the Hartson/Pearson IRA singalong

(2) Seemed to be so reluctant to censure their employees for use of the word "Hun" when the major anti-sectarian charity in Scotland has, for a number of years now, confirmed the sectarian nature of that word on their website.

I confess I do not know enough about how the BBC operates, and you could be right that such a ban (though my understanding is that they just didnt get an invite) will be of little consequence.

Notwithstanding whether there is a bias or anti-Rangers cluture or not, I dont see why our club should be welcoming a media organisation who has treated both our club, its employees and its support with absolute contempt over the last few years.

I genuinely do not understand why Rangers don't just ban the BBC and any of it's employees from Ibrox. They need us more than we need them...

....correction...

.....we don't need them at all. What benefit do we get from the amatuerish, cliched and biased opinions of guys like Rob McLean, Richard Gordon, Jim Spence, Liam McLeod and co.? Just feekin ban them and use other media outlets as after all there is zero coverage about Rangers on the BBC website these days anyway.

Just starve them of what they need to get listeners/viewers to their shows (Rangers) and let them fight over the scraps of what is left of Scottish Football. They won't last long IMO

Coz you and I are paying for it, that's why. I'm not interested in funding a celtc-love in operating out of Pacific Quay.

If the Record or the Sun were as plainly besotted with the east end side I wouldn't buy them. Well, I don't anyway, but if I did I'd stop. We have no choice by law but to fund the BBC and with that in mind I absolutely demand neutrality, not some bloody hoops convention every time a sports show comes on TV or radio. In actual fact they are obliged by law to be neutral.

McLean and Spence are deadbeats. Gordon on the other hand is a skilled broadcaster. His occasional match commentaries are miles better than any of the others. He actually describes the play. So he's a Dons supporter. He was born in Aberdeen. No glory to be hunted there.

Green Calls For BBC Apology Written by Lindsay Herron

87c8808590e99744b8435e71fad8e5f0_XL.jpg

CHARLES GREEN is asking for a “clear and unambiguous” apology from the BBC after it screened a tasteless opening title sequence for Wednesday’s live coverage of the League Cup tie with Motherwell.

It started with an animated montage which depicted a Rangers official, clearly manager Ally McCoist, falling from an office window at Ibrox and smashing a club crest.

So far the BBC has not yet satisfied Rangers with their response to an official Club complaint and a deluge of protest from supporters.

Chief Executive Charles Green said: “It is deeply regrettable that the BBC has failed to understand the strength of feeling within the Club, and indeed among our supporters, on the Mad Men/Ally McCoist issue that has dominated the front pages of today’s newspapers.

“The public response issued to the media from the BBC yesterday was clearly inadequate in attempting to resolve the issue and the response today from BBC Scotland failed to address appropriately the grave offence that has been taken over the sequence.

“The Club requests a clear and unambiguous public apology be issued as a matter of urgency to the Manager and the Club in order that a line can be drawn and we can all move on and concentrate on football.”

Guest ibroxted

I'm not for banning as it would take the focus off their behaviour, and gives them an oppertunity to twist the issue and turn a negative spotlight on us. The club & support must keep on complaining to them, to their bosses in London and to our politicians

I'm not for banning as it would take the focus off their behaviour, and gives them an oppertunity to twist the issue and turn a negative spotlight on us. The club & support must keep on complaining to them, to their bosses in London and to our politicians

the top man at the bbc for the uk is a catholic educated bigot as well. we are pissing into the wind.

Have they not been doing that anyway with no ban in place ?