Rip It Up And Start Again

AMMS - Enjoyable read.

Could part of the problem concerning the home grown model be that the youngsters of nowadays would be more interested in the car their role models drives rather than how to shoot properly ie a question of commitment and attitude ?

The 'Rip it up and start again' analogy is a good one.

Thirty-five years ago, I wandered into the John Street Union(Strathclyde Uni') and watched a band of young blades attempt syncopated rhythm combined with a soaring baritone vocal. Edwyn Collins had just formed Orange Juice and I believe were the iconic Postcard Records first signing? The sound of young Scotland first achieved recognition with Orange Juice's Rip it up and start again.

Edwyn Collins achieved far greater success as a Producer and was at the height of his fame in 2005 when he suffered a double cerebral hemorrhage. Paralysed on the upper right side of his body and unable to speak, he began the slow process back. Unable to play or even strum a guitar, he decided to rip it up and start again. He took up electric piano. He was a trained graphic artist and right handed, he retrained himself to sketch with his left hand. Years of speech therapy allowed him to recover his voice and last year he recorded another album.

Rip it up and start again is entirely appropriate to Rangers, perhaps the Ibrox PA announcer can be persuaded to air the tune pre-match? Although in these times, we might have to credit the track to 'Citrus Jiuce'?

Of all the words I put into that piece you chose the six written by Andy Steel to praise!! :-) It was his title suggestion and much better than mine which was Randy Newman inspired. I saw Edwyn Collins support Roddy Frame in the Edinburgh Playhouse a long, long time ago, they sang Bob Dylan songs.

I think he's said several times he wants us back on top and in the CL.

That obviously cannot happen overnight.

We all want that mate, frankly that's a given, we won't accept anything less. I guess my point is what else can he/we do now to create a brighter future. Our standing, and the standing of Scottish football, will continue to fall while the rich European leagues continue to rise. Selling the naming rights to the stadium won't change that.

AMMS - Enjoyable read.

Could part of the problem concerning the home grown model be that the youngsters of nowadays would be more interested in the car their role models drives rather than how to shoot properly ie a question of commitment and attitude ?

Thanks D'Artagnan.

Absolutely, but that's a player problem and one for the coaching team to deal with, we certainly won't be the only club facing that issue. The homegrown players idea is simply a suggestion on the kind of bold step that might capture the imagination just now. I can see many reasons why it would be very difficult to put in place however if every Rangers side from now had to have a majority of it's players who came through the ranks it would set us apart from every other club on this island, if not Europe. It would force us to develop youth but it might also push a few promising players our way, the opportunity of making the first team being greater.

As I said I can see a few downsides, it's just an idea to illustrate the point.

The chance to start again has passed IMO.

It was there before we started signing players, we are stuck now with players who should never have been signed, and that is down to Management.

I disagree, some kind of grand-plan doesn't need to be first team manager dependent, depending what it is of course.

We all want that mate, frankly that's a given, we won't accept anything less. I guess my point is what else can he/we do now to create a brighter future. Our standing, and the standing of Scottish football, will continue to fall while the rich European leagues continue to rise. Selling the naming rights to the stadium won't change that.

Well by the sounds of the fan meetings he's working on several possible revenue streams, money is really the only solution to the problem you mention. Obviously we could have a look at the youth system and see if it's reaching it's full potential, but that is a Scottish football issue as much as anything when you look at the national team.

Fans need to keep coming to the games as well, Green has done well with ticket prices so far i'd say and has signed players to fill the seats, plenty of debate over that now but when they were signed I think the majority of us were excited considering the level we're at. I'm not trying to create another 'Ally basher' session here but when it comes to a brighter future it isn't all down to Green and the board, there's a responsibility when it comes to those in charge of playing side as well.

Green has done well with ticket prices so far i'd say and has signed players to fill the seats, plenty of debate over that now but when they were signed I think the majority of us were excited considering the level we're at.

Have to say that I wasn't excited in any way shape or form by the signings of Fran Sandaza and Kevin Kyle.

Have to say that I wasn't excited in any way shape or form by the signings of Fran Sandaza and Kevin Kyle.

Fair enough, I think a guy who scored 14 goals in the SPL last season and 18 overall for St Johnstone was generally an exciting signing for where we are, how he managed such a haul having watched him this season I have no idea.

Much of the doubt about Kyle comes from his fitness but again he has an impressive SPL goal record, for me he was a solid signing provided his injury problems didn't get bad again, and I guess that came into the thinking with him only getting a 1 year contract.

It's pretty depressing but I think our aim has to be to stay financially healthy and hope the shape of European football changes.

I agree that getting back to the top of Scottish football is an inevitability (hopefully not a delayed one), that can comfortably be achieved on season ticket money alone. Surely at some point a European League has to come about though? (We're not the only huge club condemned to being also-rans due to being in a small league). That's when we'll need to have cash in the bank and a solid youth sytem.

Maybe it's a pipe-dream but it's one I cling to.