Rip It Up And Start Again

If you think about Swansea - they brought in Martinez, then Rogers, now Laudrup. I am forgetting one of their coaches but he shared the philosophy. They are an example of a club which had risen through the leagues, stuck to a playing style and also kept a few local players in the team. And how their fans are repaying them! And how m any more generations of Swansea fans has the last three or four years created! Even should the worst happen and they go down at some point, they really are (barring an insane signing policy change which I can't see happening) set for the next 10 years at least.

Depressingly, we appear to be following an inverted version of them, where Walter's defensive style is mirrored by Ally. Who's next, Craig Levein? Every time I think things can't get any worse, they do, so don't rule it out.

What a relief a policy along the lines of the OP would be! Unless we have ownership locally raised and willing to go really long term - like Swansea long term - I can't see it happening. But it is surely more worth pursuing than the hideous echo of the Murray years AMMS warns us against!

Well by the sounds of the fan meetings he's working on several possible revenue streams, money is really the only solution to the problem you mention. Obviously we could have a look at the youth system and see if it's reaching it's full potential, but that is a Scottish football issue as much as anything when you look at the national team.

Fans need to keep coming to the games as well, Green has done well with ticket prices so far i'd say and has signed players to fill the seats, plenty of debate over that now but when they were signed I think the majority of us were excited considering the level we're at. I'm not trying to create another 'Ally basher' session here but when it comes to a brighter future it isn't all down to Green and the board, there's a responsibility when it comes to those in charge of playing side as well.

It wasn't my intention to write a 'Green basher', I remain wary of him but I've no real reason to criticise him, indeed I've been pleased with some of his work. I strongly disagree that money is the only solution, what's it the solution too?

McCoist and the team are employees, it's up to the board to create the vision.

It's pretty depressing but I think our aim has to be to stay financially healthy and hope the shape of European football changes.

I agree that getting back to the top of Scottish football is an inevitability (hopefully not a delayed one), that can comfortably be achieved on season ticket money alone. Surely at some point a European League has to come about though? (We're not the only huge club condemned to being also-rans due to being in a small league). That's when we'll need to have cash in the bank and a solid youth sytem.

Maybe it's a pipe-dream but it's one I cling to.

My concern with this is historical precedent. I can't think of an occasion in the course of club football history where the bigger, richer clubs have decided to include smaller, poorer clubs in their plans if they didn't need too. Why would we be invited into a European league, if we were at what level. I just can't see where we fit into it, that's why I think we need to have some sort of plan.

If you think about Swansea - they brought in Martinez, then Rogers, now Laudrup. I am forgetting one of their coaches but he shared the philosophy. They are an example of a club which had risen through the leagues, stuck to a playing style and also kept a few local players in the team. And how their fans are repaying them! And how m any more generations of Swansea fans has the last three or four years created! Even should the worst happen and they go down at some point, they really are (barring an insane signing policy change which I can't see happening) set for the next 10 years at least.

Depressingly, we appear to be following an inverted version of them, where Walter's defensive style is mirrored by Ally. Who's next, Craig Levein? Every time I think things can't get any worse, they do, so don't rule it out.

What a relief a policy along the lines of the OP would be! Unless we have ownership locally raised and willing to go really long term - like Swansea long term - I can't see it happening. But it is surely more worth pursuing than the hideous echo of the Murray years AMMS warns us against!

Swansea, bloody hell, you're a genius sir.

I was searching for an example for the piece and they and their South Wales neighbours are perfect. Cardiff City have sold everything, almost literally. They changed the colour of their strips this summer and their badge, can you imagine doing that, all in the misguided belief it will create more revenue. Is nothing sacred anymore? Down the road you have Swansea City, who have achieved everything Cardiff haven't, whilst retaining their identity and enhancing their reputation. Of the two clubs Swansea are the smaller as well.

It wasn't my intention to write a 'Green basher', I remain wary of him but I've no real reason to criticise him, indeed I've been pleased with some of his work. I strongly disagree that money is the only solution, what's it the solution too?

McCoist and the team are employees, it's up to the board to create the vision.

When it comes to falling behind the rest of Europe money is the only real solution, unless FFP really does make a difference.

They're more than employees, it's a bit of a cliche in football that the manager is the most important man at the club. Say Green was to outline a vision of us playing open, attractive, expansive football then he'd probably be seen as trying to interfere with the coaching team's work.

When it comes to falling behind the rest of Europe money is the only real solution, unless FFP really does make a difference.

They're more than employees, it's a bit of a cliche in football that the manager is the most important man at the club. Say Green was to outline a vision of us playing open, attractive, expansive football then he'd probably be seen as trying to interfere with the coaching team's work.

Even with FFP we'd still struggle due to TV revenues. Short of leaving the country that's not changing either.

If Green made that statement of intent I don't think many would criticise him.

He did say on Thursday that the guy Craig Mather (is that his name?) is going to become Director of Murray Park. I have a slight concern about a possible conflict of interest with him although I'm not sure of his exact role with his sports management company. I'm not sure what qualifies him for this role unless he meant Director of Youth Development but that isn't what he said. Is he going to bring this vision?

He did say on Thursday that the guy Craig Mather (is that his name?) is going to become Director of Murray Park. I have a slight concern about a possible conflict of interest with him although I'm not sure of his exact role with his sports management company. I'm not sure what qualifies him for this role unless he meant Director of Youth Development but that isn't what he said. Is he going to bring this vision?

If I remember right his company has done similar at a few clubs.