Rangers Museum Petition

The Rangers Standard have started a petition on the site to call for a dedicated museum for the club.

The petition reads:

"We, the undersigned, call on the board of Rangers Football Club to give serious consideration to the creation of a dedicated museum.

We believe it is only right that a club of Rangersâ?? stature have a museum in order to encourage an understanding of our history and achievements. Such a project would allow Rangers to commemorate the many significant achievements in our past and benefit future generations by collecting and preserving a wide-range of historical objects.

While not underestimating the magnitude of the task, we ask that sources of funding be explored and possible partners identified. We are confident the Rangers community has numerous individuals who might contribute to this project.

At a time when many are trying to detach us from our history, we feel a museum would be a tangible expression of both continuity and the importance we place on links to past generations of players and fans. The club forged by Meiklejohn and Greig, Struth and Waddell has seen terrible tragedy and unrivalled joy. It is more than a football club; it is part of our identity.

Recent events have made us realise itâ??s something we must continue to cherish and protect. A Rangers museum would not only be a tribute to the past but a gift for the future."

If you'd like to add your name to the petition and spread the word, please feel free to do so via this link:

http://www.therangersstandard.co.uk/index.php/museum-petition

It's hard to say this without sounding negative, but while I really like the idea, I'm not sure about the timing.

Is the idea of doing this now got anything to do with saying to Green & co.... "if you promise to give us a museum, there's a better chance of you selling shares" ??

It's hard to say this without sounding negative, but while I really like the idea, I'm not sure about the timing.

Is the idea of doing this now got anything to do with saying to Green & co.... "if you promise to give us a museum, there's a better chance of you selling shares" ??

No, not at all though I'll concede that I do agree looking to find/ring-fence IPO cash for this kind of specific project may help.

Generally speaking the club should have its own museum and with the RFFF cash sitting in an account doing nothing, we have the ideal deposit to at last provide such a positive landmark.

By the way I should add the use of the word petition may be seen as somewhat negative in its connotations.

We're not trying to demand anything here or place the club under undue pressure - merely explore the strength of feeling amongst the fans and try to see what is possible.

Generally speaking the club should have its own museum and with the RFFF cash sitting in an account doing nothing, we have the ideal deposit to at last provide such a positive landmark.

I thought the remaining RFFF cash was sitting there to cover legal battles?

We've still got a fight to come with the SPL and no doubt more trouble with the SFA to come too if the battle with the SPL ends up in Court.

For starters, a museum is something I have really wanted for our club for many years now, and have said so on many many occassions.

I dont think a petition is the right way forward however, although I accept the explanation given by Frankie in post 5 of this thread. A petition is by its very nature a political campaigning device, which is not the way to go about it in my opinion.

The current board have been very receptive and open with the fans to date, so I see no reason why there is the need for a petition on this, or any other subject, at this time.

Rangers fans opinion on this matter has always run very highly in favour of a museum in any poll or online discussion I have ever seen on the subject, so again I fail to see the need for this, other than as a PR stunt by TRS, which I am sure was not the intention.

For the many good articles and work TRS has done to date, this isn't up there i'm afraid. A rethink is required in my opinion.

Like I say, a petition isn't the right word but we struggled to find an alternative way to go about formally calling for a museum. Polls have indicated support previously but they're not overly scientific whereas this allows us to record people accurately.

Similarly, it's in no way a PR stunt - just an effort to collate names to show how popular such a project would be. Time and again the museum issue has come up and time and again nothing has come of it. That's frustrating so I don't think some extra, very gentle pressure to highlight this does any harm.

I personally can't think of a better way of using the RFFF money - though I certainly concede others will have equally strong opinions on where it goes.