Rangers Museum Petition

We could have set a goal for 5million signatures but that wouldn't be realistic given only a small percentage post online which is where we've aimed for to start with.

In addition,from my own experience, getting a few hundred bears online to agree on specific issues is pretty difficult and given TRS is quite a new project, it was difficult to know what kind of number to aim for as we're not completely sure of our demographic (plenty 'neutrals' read our site).

Ergo, to reach over 1000 in a few days (~60 hours) isn't bad going. We've revised the figure to 5000 and I think that's reasonable enough given it's clear some people won't agree with it being set up or may not agree with the aims behind it.

That's the beauty of opinions. We all have one and we're all entitled to it. :)

fair enough and a decent answer frank. i have to wonder why any rangers fan wouldnt want something like this. it is a wonderful idea.

fair enough and a decent answer frank. i have to wonder why any rangers fan wouldnt want something like this. it is a wonderful idea.

Some people so far have said they think we should have other priorities but I think this is the perfect time to push the idea given the proposed redevelopment around the stadium. Let's hope we can get enough people to agree to make sure it has the weight of numbers behind it to make the idea difficult to ignore.

Some people so far have said they think we should have other priorities but I think this is the perfect time to push the idea given the proposed redevelopment around the stadium. Let's hope we can get enough people to agree to make sure it has the weight of numbers behind it to make the idea difficult to ignore.

i would love to see it

I noted a comment earlier in the thread questioning the need for a petition. I would say a petition is most definitely needed, and the reason I say that is that there is a pretty strong voice within the Club in Sandy Jardine who doesn't care for a museum, nor does he feel that the fans really care for one. I had quite a heated arguement with him on the very subject a couple of years back, around the time the Evening Times did an article on the back page about a possible museum. I know Sandy has done a lot over the last year to ingratiate himself to the Rangers support in his defence over the Club but he fell from 'legendary status' in my mind during the conversation with him on the matter of the museum, when I found him quite unyielding and abrupt. He stated that the trophy room held all the memories the fans would ever want or need. I argued that there were a number of events that were close to the hearts of the fans and would never make it to the trophy room e.g. the 2000 'world record' Cup Final, when for the first time ever the fans swapped the traditional colours for a sea of orange in a theme day that will never be surpassed (they actually mention it inside Hampden museum but nowhere in Ibrox). His response was along the lines of "with all due respect I think I know the feelings of the support more than you do". He even insinuated that theme day was not as successful as I was making out and that it "hadn't really captured the fans that much" despite all photos to the contrary. So a petition for me would answer that question once and for all what the fans want.

I noted a comment earlier in the thread questioning the need for a petition. I would say a petition is most definitely needed, and the reason I say that is that there is a pretty strong voice within the Club in Sandy Jardine who doesn't care for a museum, nor does he feel that the fans really care for one. I had quite a heated arguement with him on the very subject a couple of years back, around the time the Evening Times did an article on the back page about a possible museum. I know Sandy has done a lot over the last year to ingratiate himself to the Rangers support in his defence over the Club but he fell from 'legendary status' in my mind during the conversation with him on the matter of the museum, when I found him quite unyielding and abrupt. He stated that the trophy room held all the memories the fans would ever want or need. I argued that there were a number of events that were close to the hearts of the fans and would never make it to the trophy room e.g. the 2000 'world record' Cup Final, when for the first time ever the fans swapped the traditional colours for a sea of orange in a theme day that will never be surpassed (they actually mention it inside Hampden museum but nowhere in Ibrox). His response was along the lines of "with all due respect I think I know the feelings of the support more than you do". He even insinuated that theme day was not as successful as I was making out and that it "hadn't really captured the fans that much" despite all photos to the contrary. So a petition for me would answer that question once and for all what the fans want.

I'd like to write what I really think of Sandy Jardine but I would get a lifetime ban, all I will say is he ranks below Baldy Twat Bain on my scale.

I'd like to write what I really think of Sandy Jardine but I would get a lifetime ban, all I will say is he ranks below Baldy Twat Bain on my scale.

Cheers GA. I did try to keep the thread diplomatic for obvious reasons, but I'm glad it was a telephone conversation rather than face to face. I thought of anything I could do after the call which would be a bit lighter than Jardine's conversation to brighten my mood, and ended up buying the box set of The Best of Victor Meldrew.

the kind of fools murray filled our club with. sandy is not alone.

The Founders Trail

By Iain McColl

The research into the lives of the young lads who formed Rangers Football Club began in 2006. Their untold story was something that had intrigued me from an early age, what kind of people were they, were they as successful off field as they were on it , where did they live, did they work within the City, what became of them ?

As the research intensified into their story locations all around Glasgow started to reveal themselves, it truly was fascinating. I would often find myself walking from Fleshers Haugh, through Glasgow city centre and on up to the west end of the city, having of course a couple of well appointed pit-stops on route!

This was a story that had to be shared with my fellow Rangers supporters, so friend and fellow enthusiast Gordon Bell got to work on creating the Founders Trail Map that could be downloaded from the internet that would allow fans to set-off on foot around the city.

The Founders Walking Trail set off in August 2009 where we took a large group around the various sites that had been located and it proved very popular, that's apart from the aching feet that followed over the next couple of days!

As the Founders Trail evolved we were flooded with enquiries via our email address and various fans forums. The next logical step was to take our 'Journey of Discovery' around Glasgow by using the novelty of an open-top bus and approach Rangers about adding on a Stadium Tour to finish off our day.

The Founders Trail by bus has been operating from November 2009 on a monthly basis, and with the addition of a Tour of our magnificent Ibrox Stadium from March 2010. It continues to grow and we've been totally overwhelmed with the response. Young and old have came in their hundreds to share our unique and wonderful story.

We were told often enough that people just weren't interested in the history of the Club but time and again the supporters have proved them wrong.

Over the last couple of years more locations have sprung up as the Founders Trail has evolved.

Visit Scotland have embraced the venture as have other Tourists promotion outlets within the City of Glasgow.

Rangers TV have filmed the Tour and also highlighted other projects which we've worked on such as the Tom Vallance Painting.

picture001.jpg

The issue of a Museum at Rangers has been rumbling on for a number of years without any one person at our Club taking the project fully on board.

It's appreciated by all that the Club has been shuttling between pillar and post over the last couple of years and this project, along with many others, has simply been put on the back burner.

Over the last 6 months we watched in total disbelief and horror as our Club almost slipped off the radar completely, this in turn has led to more and more people looking back at our roots and the Rangers story.

No, it wasn't always about EBT's, Administration and individuals in the corridors of power hell-bent on destroying the country's greatest sporting institution. Rangers is a Club who were and are for millions around the world the very cornerstone of society. A Club built on hard-work, sporting excellence, fair play and honesty.

Perhaps now the need and want for a Museum at Ibrox Stadium has never been greater. Technology in 2012 has gone way beyond any of our dreams and it's now time for Rangers to take full advantage of this.

We have many within our community who have skills to make all of this happen, it's now up to the Club to take full advantage of this.

Glasgow will host the Commonwealth Games in 2014 which will see an massive influx of Tourists into our City. A Museum at Ibrox Stadium and subsequent initiatives aimed at not only visitors to our City but the population as a whole should now be one of the main focal points for our Club.

Iain McColl is a Rangers Supporter aged 47 from Cumbernauld, originally from Glasgow. Iain has been attending Ibrox since 1970 and is a history of Rangers enthusiast. He also operates the Founders Trail and Ibrox Stadium Tour.

http://www.therangersstandard.co.uk/index.php/articles/club-history/177-the-founders-trail