The "Antagonista"

Several years ago I wrote about the demonisation of Rangers supporters in a series of articles using Allports Scale of Prejudice to demonstrate my point. Many who disagreed with me back then have now acknowledged that I and the other Rangers bloggers who warned of this, were pretty much bang on the money.

I remind you of this, not to take any plaudits or credits, but to alert you and warn you of an escalation in the process.

Remarkably there still seem to be a misconception amongst some that hateful propaganda should be completely ignored, that reasonably minded people should rise above it. Have they ever stopped to consider that there were reasonably minded people in Germany in the 1930â??s who didnâ??t buy into the Nazi propaganda machine but who found they were powerless to stop what they had ignored for too long ?

Stop and take some time to reflect Scotland on just where we are.

Case in point - The propaganda machine has been responsible for the Scottish government forcing through legislation to deal with â??Scotlandâ??s Secret Shameâ? â?? sectarianism. The academics, with their accredited research say otherwise. The statistics say otherwise. But we have bowed to the propaganda machine. If anyone from the Scottish government would care to disagree, please feel free to contact me with the statistics which show otherwise, and please donâ??t forget to provide me with a dissertation which counters or rebukes Prof Steve Bruceâ??s many years of academic research on the subject.

I use the above, not as a political rant about the Scottish government, but to demonstrate how far we have already gone down the road of bowing to the propaganda machine, and how that machine has the capability to impact and affect intelligent and reasonably minded people.

Rangerâ??s supporters will be well aware of some of the propaganda websites whose purpose is solely to stir up hatred and angst towards our club. The individuals they feed do not care about the questionable character or morals of the authors, it does not matter so long as they continue to bash and demonise Rangers or their support. I referred to some of them in my last article.

Alex Thomson â??s recent blog offering concerning alleged intimidation by Rangers fans was described by Tom English at the Scotsman as little more than â??hysterical, attention seeking nonsenseâ? Nope it was far more than that Tom, it was a 3 course gourmet feast for those who despise Rangers and their support.

It matters not that it was inaccurate and erroneous. Nor that the credibility of the author has been considerably tarnished with allegations which the Police investigated and dismissed. Itâ??s feeding the hunger of those who hate Rangers and demand that hunger be satisfied.

Therefore it came as no surprise to me that Phil Mac Giolla Bhain was quick to hold up Thomsonâ??s blog offering as some kind of corroboration which justifies his hatred. For that hatred shines through Mac Giolla Bhainâ??s latest offering, an offering which sees a marked escalation in the demonisation of the Rangers support, and which sees a concerted effort by him to link or equate the Rangers support with the most repugnant sections of history and society. â??Herrenvolkâ? â?? a reference to the German master race. â??Fascist underclassâ? and â??klanâ? leave little to the imagination.

Of course that is not the only connection between these antagonista. ( This is a term I have coined for those who deliberately set out to feed the haters with one sided or biased articles, and which lack objectivity, obscure facts and seek to demonise the Rangers support) Who write or tweet with the deliberate intention of provoking , baiting or antagonising the Rangers support. Too far fetched ?

Not according to Gordon Waddell, who revealed recently on Radio Scotland that Graham Spiers was putting out tweets with the sole intention of winding supporters up. It may surprise many of you to know that Spiers is responsible for one of my most favourite journalistic articles. His tribute to his late father was moving, personal and resonant, it will have touched those who have lost a father on so many levels.

Do you think Mr Spiers your late father would be proud of you knowing you are devoting your intellect, education and energy to bait and provoke a group of people who are concerned about their club and the shoddy treatment they are receiving ? That it serves as nothing more than a source of amusement to you ?

I think you and I know the answer to that one Graham.

But back to the connection. Having written, tweeted, baited, provoked and antagonised the antagonista go running to the Police when the bait on their hook is nibbled. They expect, no actually they demand, that the ever decreasing services of the Police be used up hunting down those they have deliberately provoked and baited with their lies and inaccurate reporting. Quite simply they are every bit as morally repugnant as the bampots who respond to their antagonism with threats of violence.

Perhaps next time they seek to waste the time of our forces of law and order, those forces should inform them that not only will they investigate the threats, but they will also examine the article which gave rise to the incident to see if falls under the umbrella of conduct likely to provoke a breach of the peace.

Those who have studied prejudice suggest that those demonised normally respond to it in 2 ways. They either â??acquiesceâ? â?? they consent passively/accept it reluctantly submit to it. Or of course they fight back with all they can.

We are Rangers. Not only do we not do walking away, we donâ??t do acquiescing either.

If half of these 'bloggers' spent as much time trying to make money as they did researching and fighting the phoney war, they'd be millionaires by now.

Whilst I accept that there might be people out there that bitter and angry trying to wrong Rangers/Celtic, I find it harder to actually care these days. It's a game of football after all, and being out of the pressure cooker of the SPHell this season has reinvigorated my appetite for going to Ibrox.

So..... What's with the big moons???

If half of these 'bloggers' spent as much time trying to make money as they did researching and fighting the phoney war, they'd be millionaires by now.

Whilst I accept that there might be people out there that bitter and angry trying to wrong Rangers/Celtic, I find it harder to actually care these days. It's a game of football after all, and being out of the pressure cooker of the SPHell this season has reinvigorated my appetite for going to Ibrox.

So..... What's with the big moons???

Oh well lets all just lie down and let somebody say exactly what they want about us without any comeback.

I never said any such thing, Allan, but again, your ability to put words in my mouth with an almost 100% fail-rate is impressive to say the least.

Well instead of having a pop at the only guys to highlight what is going on, come down of that pedestal of yours and tell us your ideas to fight the propaganda against the club and its support.

Then again you don't do Sunday afternoon debate if I remember right.

Well written D'Artagnan, I have a mixed view of Rangers bloggers but you consistently hit the mark.

I don't know about anybody else but lately, in the last couple of months or so I've come to the realisation that "the haters" are a pretty sorry bunch and nothing to be concerned about. They're a joke. McGholla Brain, Thomson, Spiers, McNally, Greenslade, between them have every character flaw and trait in the book. All they do is make as much noise as they can and whip up as much hysteria as they can to give the perception that they are in some way important.