You don't win anything with kids

I think that's one of our big problems right now.

Ok Man U proved Alan Hansen wrong but lets look at some of the players in the 1996 Man U squad and their ages at the time:

Peter Schmeichel - 33

Raimond Van der Gouw - 33

Gary Pallister - 31

David May - 26

Denis Irwin - 31

Ronnie Johnsen - 27

Brian McClair - 32

Eric Cantona - 30

Plus:

Karel Poborsky - 24 (still youngish but world cup star)

Andy Cole - 25 (youngish but best striker in the country at the time)

So you can see that they had plenty of experienced heads scattered round the team.

Our older players are (name - age - influence/10 - comment):

Klos - 35 - 0 - doesn't get a sniff of a game

Letizi - 33 - 1 - could learn a thing or two from MacGregor

Papac - 26 - 3 - Has been very disappointing and lost his place in the team

Rodriguez - 28 - 2 - waste of space, prefer him not to play

Murray - 25 - 0 - been injured all season

Hemdani - 28 - 6 - Consistent but nothing special

N'Diaye - 25 - 0 - reserve player

Rae - 28 - 1 - hardly gets a game and will probably will leave

Ferguson - 28 - 9 - Our one decent older head but one is not enough

Sionko - 28 - 1 - mostly injured and outplayed by a younger player - Burke.

Buffel - 25 - 2 - just not consistent enough and shouldn't be getting a game

Novo - 27 - 4 - tries hard, not a bad squad player but acts pretty immature at times

Prso - 32 - 8 - great player but a bit past his best now - still a good role model

So we only have two older players with much influence and another with a bit.

I think that's a big, big problem. We need older heads to mentor and bring on the youngsters, giving them the benefit of their experience.

I'd like to see us sign an experienced centre half. Someone who is probably 30+ and is a reasonably good player. But more importantly than that, someone who can organise the players around him and show some leadership qualities, give players a kick up the arse when they need it. Someone who wears their heart on their sleeve. Terrible phrase but you know what I mean.

I think our defence needs a Gough/Butcher type figure and our midfield needs a McCall figure. Growing up with the team from the mid 80s onwards, when we were successful we always had a strong tackling midfielder in the team. Even if they weren't the most skillful, they added some bite and drive to the team and that's badly missing just now.

Any ideas who they could be in this day and age???

Never liked Mills at all. Fookin hot-head who thinks he's better than he is. Go for Pressley at a push though he maybe unfortunate to miss his chance last time. Is Jensen any better than what we have?

Never liked Mills at all. Fookin hot-head who thinks he's better than he is. Go for Pressley at a push though he maybe unfortunate to miss his chance last time. Is Jensen any better than what we have?

Im looking for experience on a budget.

Mills is a hot head at times but an experienced RB who I think would stroll the SPL and he wouldnt cost much.

Pressley defines what our defence needs just now - again on the cheap.

Jensen is capable of scoring 10 goals a season and shoots from far out. He would also add bite in the midfield something we still lack. Again he comes with experience. He isnt a world beater but on par with the likes of Quashie who a lot of us wanted last season (and Quashie is another id still take BTW).