I never said that did I? They are one of the biggest just ask most fans who have been to one or players who have played in these and others they rate them highly. The atmosphere is driven by 90 minutes of hatred, I have never heard a louder noise at other big derby games I've been to.

You said it was "the biggest" now it's one of the biggest. I've been to plenty of OF games and I do love the atmosphere, though I don't enjoy hatred in any respect, it's an unhealthy mind-set to have and a waste of emotion.

Most if not all fans I know feel the same way I do, I don't know many who have your views. I don't think the majority of fans want to alienate fans who don't want to sing certain songs but what right do you have to stop it, should we stop traditions because some fans don't like it? I don't think these will go away as too many have views that they like theses songs. You are going to alienate yourself IMO not the other fans.

Well this thread is evidence of some fans being alienated. Why can't you just sing Rangers songs at the football? Why is that so hard for some folk to accept. Sing whatever you like in your clubs/halls/homes just not at the football?

I would say these chants are acceptable to the majority of our own fans, it's mainly ther teams in oScotland who seems to have problems with it. I have every right just as you have to sing or not by the sounds of it, if you don't respect what rangers fans want to sing fair enough but I doubt many will respect you either.

If the majority of our fans think that to sing about the IRA/politics/religion at a football match is acceptable, then we're on a hiding to nothing.

Edited by EDGE

So where's the line mate? Are everyone's politics acceptable, should we live with any chants or songs that are political in nature? Currently the issue troubling the Unionist/Loyalist politicians of Northern ireland is abortion, if a section of our support start a pro-life chant do you think that's okay? Or how about creationism, another favourite subject with some NI Unionist politicians, is a blast of 'you can stick your evolution up your arse' from the stands one we should turn a deaf ear too? What if some fancy a bit of BNP political chanting is that still cool, would you still suggest we live with it? Is Marxism okay, anarchism, what about anti or pro EU?

Who is the arbiter of taste and decency here, who decides what's OK, if one groups 'politics' are acceptable to be sung are everyones?

They have the right by freedom of speech to try singing it, up to others whether they join in or not.

The issue of the SNP and independence simply unites a lot of people, the countries future is under serious question.

I think that the line is decency (although that's obviously difficult to define). In respect of most of your examples, they are probably OK. The one major one I'd have a problem wiith would be BNP. However if it's not racist then I guess I'd need to live with it.

I guess I'd feel that some of your examples didn't do the club any credit, in the same way as Edge feels about some of ours. However I'm not sure that I have the right to dictate my views on others. There's a difference between what is socially unacceptable (eg racism) and what you disagree with on a personal level.

For example, I'm a Scotland supporter, despite the anti-English songs that the tartan army sing (which admittedly are a lot less than they once were but they still exist). I don't feel I have the right to start dictating to them what they can and can't sing.

I accept that the tartan army are football supporters and they sing things I don't agree with. It's just part of being a fan.

I agree with you, Dell. For me, any "anti" song is just pish. I just want the Rangers support to be recognised as the best in football, sadly, the baggage gives us an unwarranted bad reputation, IMO.

You said it was "the biggest" now it's one of the biggest. I've been to plenty of OF games and I do love the atmosphere, though I don't enjoy hatred in any respect, it's an unhealthy mind-set to have and a waste of emotion.

Well this thread is evidence of some fans being alienated. Why can't you just sing Rangers songs at the football? Why is that so hard for some folk to accept. Sing whatever you like in your clubs/halls/homes just not at the football?

If the majority of our fans think that to sing about the IRA/politics/religion at a football match is acceptable, then we're on a hiding to nothing.

This is an internet forum, so with all due respect to your views edge I'll be waiting for the Ibrox crowds to go down by a significant level before I accept there's really any problem with alienation.

I agree with you, Dell. For me, any "anti" song is just pish. I just want the Rangers support to be recognised as the best in football, sadly, the baggage gives us an unwarranted bad reputation, IMO.

The Best or The Nicest?

Bad reps follow on from violence and we can't be accused of that.

In reply to another one of your posts as to why is it so hard for some to just sing Rangers songs. Why is it so hard for you to understand why they want to sing what they sing? It's a two way street.

Edited by GovanAllan

Our reputation is how it is due to hatred and jealousy, we've done plenty of pandering yet pretty much everyone in Scotland without a Rangers connection tried to kill us.

This is an internet forum, so with all due respect to your views edge I'll be waiting for the Ibrox crowds to go down by a significant level before I accept there's really any problem with alienation.

If that ever does happen, then the game's a bogey.

I'll go to Ibrox for as long as I want, all that I'm saying is that if Rangers fans stuck to Rangers songs, then everyone would be included.