We Lost Criminal Goals

3f830e133d24c3e8e1c945fdadb5010e_S.jpg

LEE McCULLOCH believes Inverness showed more hunger to win against Rangers tonight and admitted the Light Blues were guilty of conceding â??criminalâ?? goals.

What had been a good Halloween initially for the club captain after the announcement of his contract extension turned into a nightmare when he saw his side beaten 3-0.

Gers actually had the better of the first half and were unlucky to trail to Andrew Shinnieâ??s goal at the break.

In the second period, however, they were well beaten as Gary Warren and Graeme Shinnie while Neil Alexander stopped the scoreline from being even worse.

It was a difficult result for McCulloch to stomach, particularly after the euphoric manner of the 2-0 victory against Motherwell in the last round.

But he knows the Highlanders were deserving victors and had no complaints about the final outcome.

McCulloch said: â??We obviously fancied our chances with being at home and after the Motherwell game but Inverness were the better team.

â??They were more organised and passed the ball better. They created more chances and probably wanted it more than us.

â??On the other hand, we made individual mistakes. We didnâ??t play well and the goals we lost were terrible, terrible goals to lose at any level.

â??Itâ??s disappointing because when we go through the goals again, weâ??ll see they were criminal ones to give away.

â??Itâ??s obviously a bad night for us tonight but weâ??ve got to lift ourselves now for the weekend and the game against Alloa. We need to put things right.â?

Read more on the official site...

d764eb733052f038cbac27482c3b028c_S.jpg

ALLY McCOIST bemoaned individual errors as Rangers were dumped out of the League Cup but honestly conceded that Inverness were worthy winners.

The Highlanders were 3-0 winners at Ibrox to reach the semi-finals of a major tournament for the first time in their history but Rangers contributed to their own downfall.

The deference was caught out as Andy Shinnie had all the time in the world it seemed to score the first goal, although there was a hint of offside.

The second Inverness goal came about from poor marking at a corner and then Anestis Argyriou gave away a penalty to seal Rangersâ?? fate.

McCoist said: â??I didnâ??t think there was an awful lot between the teams in the first half. Neither team created an awful lot.

â??They got the break with the goal and we always felt the first goal would be important. I wouldnâ??t mind seeing it again.

â??That said the second half was very disappointing. I thought the individual errors that created the three goals were very disappointing*

â??In the second half Inverness were better than us and deserve to be in the semis more than we do.

â??It was an opportunity for us to play against an SPL team which we did do against Motherwell but the intensity in which we played tonight was miles short of what we showed against Motherwell.

â??We got what we deserved in the second half and so did Inverness.

â??It probably is a reminder of how far we have to travel but Iâ??m extremely aware of how far we have to travel.

â??There is a thin line because it is very difficult in the sense that I will never make excuses for the second half performance.

â??The league remains our top priority and the cups are a bonus. That said we have a very big cup tie on Saturday and we have to be ready for that.â?

Read more on the official site...

“They were more organised and passed the ball better. They created more chances and probably wanted it more than us.

This quote from jig speaks for itself

That happens when you've got a midfield with one experienced campaigner, two youngsters, a chap back from injury versus a team that is now undefeated in 8 games against opposition way beyond the folk our chaps play against. No matter what some expect from this Rangers side, their prime objective this season is to get out of Divi 3. We are ability-wise sure above standard of any team in our league, but people need to make a hard reality check in what they expect from Rangers this season. If anything, last night should have set these minds straight.

Simply winning Div3 isn't good enough IMHO.....the team need to show signs of improvement & development.

They need to show everyone that they are a TEAM to be reckoned with and that they will fight tooth & nail for every ball & every point - you don't need top starts to do that.

We need to show that there are building blocks being put in place so that when we reach the top tier again, we will be a team that is feared. So far those signs are not there (IMHO)

The defense are of particular concern - there appears to zero in the way of communication, with the exception being Alexander who constantly communicates to all 21 other players as to where he's gonna lump the ball to. The frail defense could be having an effect on midfield, as players are having to track back in order to strengthen the defensive line, therefore not fully committed to their own role.

I said that I'd wait till the end of September ere making a comment about the team. And even if I comment now, it will not change what we'll see on the upcoming matchdays.

No matter what people think about McCoist's abilities as manager, we have the problem of rather limited ressources, not just in the player material, but also in the way we can utilize it. These last few games McCoist IMHO utilized the wrong people, it all essentually looks a bit of try-and-hope rather than a plan. Of course, what else can you do here to check out a system that works? (Only that it should have been done by now!)

As Darther pointed out, the defence looks woeful at times and even though I wish him a quick recovery, I rather don't want to see Perry in the starting line-up for a few weeks. Hegarty was probably caught in the headlights a bit when he was used as CH in the second half, but he looks a better footballer than Perry. Cribari needs a solid partner next to him, which Perry isn't. There also has to be made a decision about the right-back slot. Argyriou would be my first choice, though I haven't seen Cole that often.

Midfield ... at times you'd think that these people see one another for the first time. All over the place or chasing for the same ball. There has to be a leader and if that means that we have to bring Barry Ferguson back next year, so be it (and yes, I don't exactly want him back). We should start to look for a settled line-up with people knowing exactly where they have to be. Hutton was bad for the third game running, and I especially mean his passing. Macleod and Black chased every ball, but Little and Shiels looked out of sorts again too. Based on yesterday's performance my team for the Alloa game would still be ...

Alexander

Argyriou - Hegarty - Cribari - Wallace

McKay - Black - Shiels - Templeton/Aird

Little - McCulloch

... though as I said before, whatever I or others write on here, it is McCoist and Co. to make this happen and give the team some stability and cohesion. Tactical trials should be stopped and in that respect, a cup game against the might of Alloa is probably a good turn of fortune.

I'm still not 100% convinced by Cribari.....

I think one of the biggest problems with the defence is the apparent lack of communication. I don't know how good Cribari's english is, but it certainly can't be helping things. I would like to see maybe Hegarty & Perry in the middle. These 2 have known each other for years & probably played side-by-side on a number of occasions.

As for Black in the middle of the park.....I think he suffers from Barry ferguson syndrome - he's trying too hard to be everywhere & do everything. As a result, he's doing nothing particularly well or consistently. He should stick to the middle of the park where he can control the flow of things, take the ball and distribute accordingly.

I also think the right wing needs looked at - there appears to be very little traffic up there. On the left we have Wallace & Aird/Sheils tanking up & down all day long, but on the right virtually nothing. DerBerliner's setup with Argy & McKay may allow for more movement on that side.

One thing I heard on the commentary last night....that was the 1st time since the very start of the season that McCoist had gone with the same starting 11 for 2 games in a row.....

Our defense is probably the worst Rangers defense I have ever seen!.

I deeply hope so. We've just had our company put into liquidation and are in division three, or hadn't you noticed? If there was a worse defence you've seen then it's pretty damnable on them and the manager at the time.