Top 28 Rangers heroes/legends

I have not read through this whole thread. But, how can you have a list of Ranger greats that misses out 3 of the four young lads who formed the club and Tom Vallance ????

Was about to say the exact same thing. If you ask the lads from the founders trail they will probably have Tom Vallance at No1.

Dougie Gray, Tommy Muirhead, Bert Manderson and Willie McCandles (in the words of the song "two Irish backs you can't get past") Jimmy Smith, Alex Venters, Torry Gillick, Sandy Archbald, Andy Cunningham - none of us saw them play but the names are revered.

You've set yourself an impossible task, Max.

Number one has to be R. C. Hamilton. Top scorer with Elgin City and Rangers. Divinity.

Edited by Scott7

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions/comments. I am sorry if players were missed out in the original list but I didn't mean to offend anyone as it's early days for this wee project and I was just getting it our there to see what people thought. (as this is by far the best and most knowledgable Rangers forum by a country mile)

Anyway... I've uploaded an early preview of the print (it will no doubt change). I'm not really a conventional illustrator so it's somewhat different from the archetypal pencil sketch footie illustrations. My stuff slightly humourous and caricature like. Try to imagine a print of about 30/40 odd Rangers greats done in this way on one large print

RANGERS.jpg

Edited by Max Rebo's Big Blue Nose

Cracking post, I think you have to go era specific. which means I get to ask you to include Bobby Shearer,Ralph Brand, Colin Stein and Bud, I know they have already been mentioned, just wanted to put my tuppence worth in

Could you not do 4 or 5 seperate pictures?

For Example:

1872 - 1914 - "The Gallant Pioneers"

1914 - 1945 - "The War Years"

1945 - 1979 - "The Golden Era"

1980 - 2012 - "The Modern Era"

Doing it like this would enable you to get most peoples favourites (hopefully) ;-)

Hi Guys

I have a wee favour to ask the knowledgable throng that is Gersnet. I work as an Illustrator/Designer and I am currently working on a football related project focusing on club greats/legends that I hope will be available online soon. The illustrations/prints will take the form of a grid stlye that depicts 28 greats from our history. (ie. 4 rows of 7 players making up the grid)

Anyway' date=' I'm in the process of editing the 28 names that could be regarded as Rangers legends/heroes/greats that will go onto this print and was wondering if anybody could comment on my list and maybe add any suggestions to help me get the definitive list. Here is my current list as it stands:

1. Moses McNeil

2. Alan Morton

3. Bill Struth

4. Davie Meiklejohn

5. Bob McPhail

6. George Young

7. Jock Shaw

8. Willie Waddell

9. Eric Caldow

10. John Greig

11. Jim Baxter

12. Scott Symon

13. Davie Wilson

14. Jimmy Millar

15. Tommy McLean

16. Alex McDonald

17. Derek Johnstone

18. Jock Wallace

19. Davie Cooper

20. Sandy Jardine

21. Graeme Souness

22. Ally McCoist

23. Andy Goram

24. Richard Gough

25. Brian Laudrup

26. Davie Weir

27. Willie Henderson

28. Walter Smith

Others I considered...Willie Woodburn, Ronnie McKinnon, Ralph Brand, Peter McCloy, Willie Mathieson, Paul Gascoine, Barry Ferguson, Ian Durrant. There are names that I may have overlooked but I need to stick to the 28 names

If this is not suitable for this forum please feel free to delete or move to another section. Thanks in advance, Max Rebo[/quote']

All great Rangers players,but in truth only a handful should be considered as true legends,and for an old Bear like myself,Colin Stein

would definitely be part of that handful.