f0e0e9a5214b4f9d278913b10aa6423d_S.jpg

LEWIS MacLEOD was simply pleased to win as injury-ravaged Rangers overcame Peterhead to stay two points clear at the top of the Third Division.

The Light Blues knew they would be without Kevin Kyle, Seb Faure, Fran Sandaza, David Templeton and Kane Hemmings going into the weekend.

And when Emilson Cribari and Ross Perry were both ruled out this morning, they had to take on a makeshift look in defence as Lee McCulloch dropped into the back line.

With 16 goals before today to his credit, that took away a little of the attacking threat Gers might otherwise have had.

Nevertheless, the 54-times Scottish champions were dominant and were rewarded for their superior possession and chances with a good 2-0 win.

Macleod was adamant getting three points was more important than anything else as he looked back on a workmanlike but unspectacular performance.

He said: â??The main thing for us today was to go out and get the win and we did well to get a 2-0 victory.

â??Weâ??d have liked to have won by a little bit more but they kept it quite tight in the middle and it was hard to play through them.

â??We knew it was always going to be a tough game but we have found out more about teams as we have gone along.

â??Now that weâ??re into the second round of Third Division fixtures, we know a lot more about what to expect going into matches.

â??Weâ??ve had a few dodgy games away from home including when we played Peterhead before but at Ibrox, we feel more comfortable and we showed that today.â?

McCulloch got his 17th of the season and Lee Wallace struck after half-time to make sure of a comfortable success.

And although there were few standouts, Macleod took time to pay tribute to the men who made a difference.

Referring to McCulloch, he added: â??I think he was still looking for a goal today as well because he had moved to the back and he played really well.

â??Lee Wallace did a good job too. He has been a standout performer for us all season and he showed that again here as he got the man of the match award.â?

Read more on the official site...

I had a fucking awesome day! Loved it! Football, I noticed that once we went2-0 we relaxed and played more of the ball, better passing and movement - albeit still not what we would expect. I think it's a confidence thing for the youngsters.

Display was fab. And serious kudos to Union Bears they just DO NOT STOP! Great fun :D

Was sitting in the west enclosure right up next to where the troops come out onto the pitch, they were first class. Its great to see them so close up and see how much today meant to them.

A great day, makes me proud to have been part of it :)

Edited by TheWeeBlueDevil

new central defensive pairing and a clean sheet. that in itself is a great news and a good boost for the goalie too. i was impressed with mckay early on but he faded out of it later on. crawford looked awkward at right midfield. black had one of his better games. i thought macleod was quiet, he just looks identical to black on the pitch. maybe both are too similar? they both seem to do the exact same things and play the exact same game. hutton was comfortable when he came on. up front, both had a poor game, i was especially disappointed in shiels, he gets so much of the ball and has some lovely wee touches but his end product is poor. little ran around but offered nothing. given the small size of squad and the amount of injuries it was a good 3 points.

Edited by kuznetsov

BTW, what happened to the much-trumpeted Walsh?

Must have been bullshit. Don't know where chilledbear got the info from. Might not have been BS right enough, it might just have been a change of plans or an excercise in smoking out one of the club leaks. Who knows.

Edited by Zappa