Rangers Keepers (you've seen)

Bobby Brown: Flashy.

George Niven: Dependable

Billy Ritchie: Rock solid. Didn't have the full reportoire that the Goalie had but I rate BR just ahead of Woods, Klos and McGregor.

These three (except Niven for a few games) were lucky to have a proper defence in front of them as did Woods. Klos and McGregor didn't always have that luxury.

I started with Niven.

Norrie Martin played most of the season '66-67, '68-69

Then there was Sorenson around the same time.

As there was a mention about keepers in the marathon McCoist thread, got me starting to think of all the keepers we've had that I can recall seeing play. Not necessarily in my lifetime, else Id have added McCloy but I cant recall seeing him play live so I exclude him.

This will show some ages of folks.

I've maybe missed out 1 or 2 but we've had some top notch keepers.

Tried to get them in order.

Chris Woods - Understudy to Shilton at England but still a top keeper.

Colin Scott - Always remember the blonde hair.

Lyndsay Hamilton - Battled it out with Scott as 2nd keeper to Woods.

Bonni Ginzburg - Seem to remember him well but he only played a handful of games.

Andy Goram - The Goalie! Up there with the best in the world at his peak for me.

Ally Maxwell - Bit of a bombscare at times.

Theo Snelders - Aberdeen got the best out of him when he replaced Leighton but still a handy 2nd keeper.

Andy Dibble - Was an emergency signing for an old firm title decider which we won!

Antti Niemi - Under rated! Absolute top keeper on his day. Did well with Rangers, Hearts and Fulham.

Lionel Charbonnier - French world cup squad winner signed in 98 then got injured....and replaced by...

Stefan Klos - Der Goalie. World Class keeper up there with Goram for me! Shame he got injured and never won his place back.

Thomas Myhre - Norweigan international was another emergency signing who played a handful of games.

Jesper Christensen - Danish international who didnt feature much.

Ronald Watterreus - Came in for Klos and kept his place. Half decent keeper but Klos should have regained the No.1 after injury.

Allan McGregor - Most improved player ever to wear a Rangers shirt. Went from being promising to top class. Still baffled Man Utd or another top English team didnt come in for him.

Lionel Letizi - Bit of a butter fingers kind of keeper and was out quite promptly.

Neil Alexander - Like Niemi was, a quality back up keeper to have who is now current No.1 and will probably go down in history as a legend in his own way if he remains there while we work our way back up the leagues.

I remember the Andy Dibble OF game well. Mark Hateley came back for that game too and got sent off if memory serves

I also remember Billy Thomson and Mark Brown playing for us during that period as well. I looked up Mark Brown on Wiki hard to believe he is only 31 he seems to have been around forever.

The first time I went to Ibrox the regular keeper was Norrie Martin.

Some not so well known goalies:

Donald Hunter, he played 3 league and 1 Scottish cup game in 1974 for Rangers because of injuries to McCloy & Stewart Kennedy.

He played in goal when Arbroath famously won 3-2 at Ibrox, that game marked Dave Smith's last for the club.

Dec.1979 a keeper by the name of Young (don't remember his first name) pulled on the jersey twice to answer the call in a time of need.

Another keeper who was with Rangers for 5 years during the 80's - Andy Bruce - played 1 game in the '82/'83 season a 2-1 win at Easter Rd, and another game in '84/'85 a 2-1 defeat at Love St. That was it for him.

I remember the Andy Dibble OF game well. Mark Hateley came back for that game too and got sent off if memory serves

I also remember Billy Thomson and Mark Brown playing for us during that period as well. I looked up Mark Brown on Wiki hard to believe he is only 31 he seems to have been around forever.

Billy Thomson! Good shout. As is Brown who Laudrup11 just mentioned.

Thompson - 3 Scotland caps. Quality keeper for Dundee utd in the 80s during their UEFA cup run.

Edited by Gribz

Roy Carroll got a game in league cup if i remember correctly ?

Always thought he was decent but will forever be remembered for Goal that Mendes scored

Got to give you that one! Well done.

Another International - 27 Caps for N Ireland.

Cant believe he plays for Olympiacos at the moment.

Carroll signed for Rangers on a one-year contract on 7 July 2007,[19] initially as cover for Allan McGregor but also to challenge for a starting place. He made his only appearance for Rangers against East Fife in a League Cup match on 26 September 2007.[20]
Edited by Gribz