Steven Naismith: Leaving Rangers hardest part of my career

Former Rangers forward Steven Naismith says leaving Ibrox was "the hardest part" of his career so far.

Naismith, now with Everton , was one of a number of players who rejected having their contracts transferred when Rangers were relaunched in the summer.

And he acknowledges that fans were angered by those decisions.

Continue reading the main story

â??

The whole situation regarding legal fights is something that I've not been involved in

�

Steven Naismith

"When it becomes your job and your livelihood and you need to make decisions that are for your future, for your family's future," said Naismith.

"There's a period of disappointment and anger and I think a lot of fans have felt that way probably personally about me and a few of the players that left that were fans of the club.

"I can honestly say without doubt it was definitely the hardest part of my career since I started at the age of 15.

"It's been a difficult time, mostly for the fans. A year-and-a-half ago, who would've thought Rangers would've been in the bottom tier of Scottish football?

"The squad's changed a lot. A lot's happened in a short space of time and everybody's probably not processed every part of it.

"There's still enquiries going on so it's not a great time but the positive you've got to take from it is they're sitting top of the league now and they've started rebuilding.

"The manager's been able to concentrate mainly on football and football alone, probably for the first time since he's become a manager."

Rangers are pursuing compensation for six players who signed for other clubs while PFA Scotland have threatened to take the club to an industrial tribunal over a point of principle regarding the proposed

"The whole situation regarding legal fights is something that I've not been involved in, I'm not aware and something of and I'm not interested in being involved in," added Naismith.

"Rangers have opened a case against the players that left in the summer but every player took advice and I stand by my advice and I've taken the decision to move on. It's in the hands of the lawyers."

STEVEN NAISMITH wanted to finish his career at Rangers.

However, he doesn’t know if he will ever be able to walk through the front door at Ibrox again after leaving the club in the summer.

The Scotland star opted to swap Glasgow for Merseyside when he moved to Everton after he objected to having his contract switched from oldco to newco Rangers.

Naismith knows emotions are still running high among the Ibrox support towards those who walked away following Rangers’ liquidation and their demotion to the Third Division.

And while the Light Blues’ results are the first he looks for, Naismith knows he may never be able to go and cheer on his boyhood heroes again.

Naismith said: “If anyone had asked me just before we went into administration if I would like to stay at Rangers for the rest of my career, I would have probably said yes.

“But circumstances change and you need to make decisions you probably don’t want to make – but you have to.

“Who knows if will I ever be able to go back through the front door at Ibrox?

“I would like to but I’m not going to say I would love that daybecause it might never come.

“You just never know. It’s something I’m dealing with.

“To be honest, at the moment I wouldn’t go back for a game.

“A lot of fans aren’t happy with what’s happened and what went on, but you never know in the future. It’s probably still raw.”

Naismith added: “ I’m proud of the fact I played for Rangers for five years, I won trophies and leagues with them, and was involved in Europe.

“It was probably the proudest I’ve been in my career.

“The whole squad would still have been there unless the manager wanted to sell them or a player wanted to leave and they allowed it.

“I signed and had three years left and thought I would have had that at least.”

PFA Scotland have raised an employment tribunal claim against Rangers on behalf of 67 players.

But Naismith insists he wants no part of that.

The 26-year-old was back in Glasgow yesterday after sponsoring a lunch for the city’s homeless with the Loaves and Fishes charity.

But circumstances change and you need to make decisions you probably don’t want to make but you have to

Steven Naismith

He knows some supporters will see those who left as greedy but insists he’s not interested in taking Rangers to the courts.

He said: “I had a conversation that this was one road we could go down, but once we spoke about it from the off it wasn’t something I was interested in.

“I just want to be playing football at the best level I can to test myself.

“I took legal advice and made the decisions I made. I’m not looking to go after the club for money for 90 days’ pay or anything like that, it’s not something I’ve thought about or been interested in.”

Rangers chief executive Charles Green insists he will pursue the players who left the club in the summer after they opted against having their ontracts transferred over to the newco.

The SFA will arbitrate in January over whether Green has a case.

Naismith is adamant he did nothing wrong.

He said: “In the coming months things might get resolved one way or the other and then we can move on. It’s in the hands of lawyers, while all I’m interested in is playing football.”

Express

Do one Naismith. You were the vocal pratt who thought you were bigger than the club coming out asking why the CEO hadnt knocked on your door explaining the future....how dare he not do that eh!

Why wasnt the sentence "leaving Ibrox was the hardest part of my career so far" not said in the summer? Why is it only now when players are realising we are coming back as strong as ever that they have to make a statement to get onside.

And they keep using the 'must do whats best for them and family' excuse. I dont buy that when Bocanegra, Alexander and Goian didnt need to, especially when Naismith was already on about 18k a week from a club who stuck by him for 2 years while he spent his time on a treatment table.

All it would have taken was transferring over a few days.

All too simple wouldn't have gained a personal fortune of a signing on fee for himself and his agent. Didn't help that Jelavic was saying to him come and join me at Everton and cause they are not rich the rest is history.

All too simple wouldn't have gained a personal fortune of a signing on fee for himself and his agent. Didn't help that Jelavic was saying to him come and join me at Everton and cause they are not rich the rest is history.

David Weir apparently was as well, which is a pity.