Dorin Goian is heading back to Rangers

DORIN GOIAN could return for Rangers at Annan Athletic next month after his Italian club Spezia confirmed he is no longer needed.

Dorin Goian is to return to Ibrox

Dorin Goian is to return to Ibrox

The Romanian defender is on a season-long loan at the Serie B side, but got into hot water with the Italian football authorities last month.

He contested an 88th- minute winner for Juve Stabia in a 3-2 defeat so strenuously, he manhandled referee Maurizio Ciampi, who promptly sent him off –the second time he's been red-carded since his return to Italy.

Goian was handed a bumper four-match ban by the Italian Federation Disciplinary Committee who ruled that he had "tried to intimidate the referee".

That was the final straw for ambitious Spezia, and their sporting director, Nelso Ricci, launched an amazing attack on Goian insisting he'd been 'my biggest disappointment, not up to the level we expected'.

Now Spezia have announced they want to keep Goian for their four remaining games this year in Serie B.

But after the match on December 30, when Italy start their winter break, he is free to return to Rangers.

And they have already brought in Swedish defender Richard Magyar from Halmstads to replace him.

A Spezia spokesman said: "We expect Goian will return to Rangers next month."

That means the defender, who is contracted at Ibrox until the end of next season, could make his Third Division return for Rangers at Galabank shortly into the new year.

Goian joined Rangers last summer after a two-year spell at Palermo and made 35 SPL starts last season.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/dorin-goian-is-heading-back-to-rangers-109853n.19661815?

As I said at the initial speculation it is not good news for me. He was far from impressive at the start of the season and his decline seems to have continued in italy, it's a big chunk of cash put back on the wage bill, it takes away another space for younger players and gives us an unhappy player you'd imagine since he's been told he'll not be picked for Romania playing in the Third Division.

I know we've had some defensive problems and injuries but they aren't forever and our defending seems to have settled down anyway.

However if Goian is coming back I expect Ally to put him straight back in the team. If he does want to stay now I hope a cheaper contract can be agreed.

But if his loan agreement is one season surely the Italian club have to cover his wage?

I liked Goian last season but as said previously he started this season slowly and was out of place, yet so was the whole squad after not having a pre season.

But lets bring him back, get him fit then its another name to an already thin squad that has to get though another 10 months before we can sign players.

But if his loan agreement is one season surely the Italian club have to cover his wage?

I liked Goian last season but as said previously he started this season slowly and was out of place, yet so was the whole squad after not having a pre season.

But lets bring him back, get him fit then its another name to an already thin squad that has to get though another 10 months before we can sign players.

If they had a valid option to terminate the loan after 6 months no.

He's on far too big a wage to simply just be a squad option, if we can even afford it it needs to be used elsewhere. We need to learn lessons from dripping out cash to average players. Even with injuries Hegarty and McCulloch have done fine, with Cribari, Perry and Faure to come back i'm sure we can cope for 10 months at 3rd and 2nd division level.

Like I said I wouldn't mind him staying if he'd take a wage cut.

I wouldn't mind his wage too much, if his game is up to scratch!!!

They way he started the season, he was VERY poor, however if he comes back & creates a rock-solid defense then I'll not complain. If the poor form continues, they we may have a problem - no idea what time he has left on his contract & how much it would take to dispose of his services early (he may agree by mutual consent though...)

What's the story with his player registration though? I know he's still contracted to rangers but do we not need to re register him as a player? Worth noting that its player registrations that are banned, not signings. Does anybody know the script here?

Yes, it's good for us he's back, he's had some game time in Italy and that will have put him in good stead.

He played 2 league games and a Ramsdens cup match at the start of the season for Rangers and was bloody hopeless, but so were the rest of the team - he's coming back to a better and more confident team now and will give our defence a bit of 'muscle' and the younger players will learn a lot more from such an experienced player.

Great to have him back in the squad