Reconstruction talks

I agree with UCF2008 on the best way forward even although it's looking like having little chance of happening.

I'm not sure which would be best (20/22 or 18/24), but I think maybe a 20 team SPL and 22 team SFL would be ideal. 2 leagues and the SFL retains the largest number of teams. Promotion and relegation wise it could be a simple 4 up, 4 down with 2 automatic promotion and relegation spots plus play-offs for the other spots. No idiotic splits! Done.

unfortunately we've been here before. Pre-1975 we had something like this. Bigger leagues,too many clubs, too many meaningless games. Hence the 10 club premier league started in 1975. Also don't forget there were only 8 or 9 fulltime clubs back then. The premier league was supposed to protect the fulltime clubs & eradicate meaningless games but didn't when the likes of Clydebank & Dumbarton got in and Hibs & Hearts got relegated (Belated HA ! HA!)

or are these players good enough to play at the level we require? any club can have a youth policy but whether it produces quality players is another matter.

I have written many posts on here over the years that the grass root system in Scotland is totally wrong. Living in Holland I can see that the system here is just 1 million times better. I will admit that i am not up to date on the Scottish scene these days.

I have written many posts on here over the years that the grass root system in Scotland is totally wrong. Living in Holland I can see that the system here is just 1 million times better. I will admit that i am not up to date on the Scottish scene these days.

Wouldn't surprise me. We need to get the likes of dutch coaches involved at grass roots instead of some of the numpties we've got at present

unfortunately we've been here before. Pre-1975 we had something like this. Bigger leagues,too many clubs, too many meaningless games. Hence the 10 club premier league started in 1975. Also don't forget there were only 8 or 9 fulltime clubs back then. The premier league was supposed to protect the fulltime clubs & eradicate meaningless games but didn't when the likes of Clydebank & Dumbarton got in and Hibs & Hearts got relegated (Belated HA ! HA!)

That was then and this is now though Rab and football in Scotland 40 years ago just isn't comparable to the game now. Just because we moved away from large leagues to the 10 team premier league back then doesn't mean that moving back to large leagues would be a bad idea. Sometimes you need to go backwards to actually go forwards, if you know what I mean...

A LOT of Scottish football fans would like to see bigger leagues again and everything (apart from some selfish clubs in the current top flight that want to preserve the current status quo while strengthening themselves) suggests that it would probably be the best way forward. The large broadcasters certainly don't have an issue with large leagues when you look down south and around Europe, so there's no reason why they would have a problem with an 18 or 20 team top flight in Scotland.

The meaningless games argument is redundant, it's old hat because there shouldn't be any meaningless games even in an 18 or 20 team league. Every team is fighting from game to game to end up with as many points as possible at the end of the season and the more points you end up with, the bigger the prize money for your club. As well as the prize money, you've got the teams in the top half battling for European places or play-off places and you've got the teams at the bottom battling to stay out of the relegation zone just as we see down south and in the good leagues all around Europe.

It really doesn't need to be overly complicated the way that's being proposed by the idiots running Scottish football and let's be honest, they ARE idiots because only idiots would have done what they did to Rangers in the summer, then come up with another brain fart of a plan to resurrect the game that involves small leagues and stupid splits.

That was then and this is now though Rab and football in Scotland 40 years ago just isn't comparable to the game now. Just because we moved away from large leagues to the 10 team premier league back then doesn't mean that moving back to large leagues would be a bad idea. Sometimes you need to go backwards to actually go forwards, if you know what I mean...

A LOT of Scottish football fans would like to see bigger leagues again and everything (apart from some selfish clubs in the current top flight that want to preserve the current status quo while strengthening themselves) suggests that it would probably be the best way forward. The large broadcasters certainly don't have an issue with large leagues when you look down south and around Europe, so there's no reason why they would have a problem with an 18 or 20 team top flight in Scotland.

The meaningless games argument is redundant, it's old hat because there shouldn't be any meaningless games even in an 18 or 20 team league. Every team is fighting from game to game to end up with as many points as possible at the end of the season and the more points you end up with, the bigger the prize money for your club. As well as the prize money, you've got the teams in the top half battling for European places or play-off places and you've got the teams at the bottom battling to stay out of the relegation zone just as we see down south and in the good leagues all around Europe.

It really doesn't need to be overly complicated the way that's being proposed by the idiots running Scottish football and let's be honest, they ARE idiots because only idiots would have done what they did to Rangers in the summer, then come up with another brain fart of a plan to resurrect the game that involves small leagues and stupid splits.

what u need to remember is ur marketing a product you hope people want to buy. People won't want to watch or buy meaningless games unfortunately.

Wouldn't surprise me. We need to get the likes of dutch coaches involved at grass roots instead of some of the numpties we've got at present

In Holland football is organised for all age groups from 5 to veteran. If I take an example of Renfrew juniors. It is crazy that they have 1 team. in Holland the same club would have about 20 senior teams at all levels and 4 or 5 youth teams at every age group. It is also a community and social club. Renfrew Juniors should have a park as they now have or better, surrounded by about another 3 or 4 grass pitches for the amateur teams. Every member pays a membership here so a club with 500 members can expect 500x18 pound a month(senior) Youth obviously pays less but they also pay a membership fee.

Every club here has a social club that can sell beer, wine and soft drinks, that all goes to the running costs and coaching. There are many youth players in Scotland that stop because they can't get into a team at 13(example) because they are too weak'. They could possibly make it at an older age group but are lost to the sport. In Holland they just drop down a team and stay by the club to maybe develop further. In Scotland many of them stop playing.

It is a crying shame.

what u need to remember is ur marketing a product you hope people want to buy. People won't want to watch or buy meaningless games unfortunately.

The logic that you're using would mean that every other league in Europe has no TV deals because they have bigger leagues ergo meaningless games.

Look at the SPL, 12 team league, Celtic already won the league , bar a miracle, Dundee are down, rendering most of the rest of the games 'meaningless'.

The logic that you're using would mean that every other league in Europe has no TV deals because they have bigger leagues ergo meaningless games.

Look at the SPL, 12 team league, Celtic already won the league , bar a miracle, Dundee are down, rendering most of the rest of the games 'meaningless'.

The Dutch get rid of the meaningless games by having a play-off for euro football and a play-off for relegation which involves most of the league.