Reconstruction talks

I haven't been keeping up to speed with this so I'm pretty clueless with all the talk about it. I'm listening to te phone in on Clyde 1 and there's a guy on saying that if we win the league we might not get promoted due to the possible restructure? Wit????

I haven't been keeping up to speed with this so I'm pretty clueless with all the talk about it. I'm listening to te phone in on Clyde 1 and there's a guy on saying that if we win the league we might not get promoted due to the possible restructure? Wit????

If they go ahead with their proposal to restructure to 12-12-18, then the whole 3rd division as it stands just now including ourselves will all be moved into the new bottom tier of 18 along with 8 of the current 2nd division teams.

If they go ahead with their proposal to restructure to 12-12-18, then the whole 3rd division as it stands just now including ourselves will all be moved into the new bottom tier of 18 along with 8 of the current 2nd division teams.

So really it makes no difference to us. We'd be in the 3rd top league whatever happens.

So really it makes no difference to us. We'd be in the 3rd top league whatever happens.

Correct.

As Traynor said, and as many of us on here have said, it basically renders this season meaningless for many, many teams.

If you read my post on the previous page, you'll see that it does make a difference to us and it also makes a difference to most of the current 2nd division clubs.

One issue is that by the end of this season, our current league opponents in the 3rd will have made enough money from Rangers being in their league to significantly strengthen their squads ahead of next season. If there was no reconstruction, then we'd be leaving most of them behind in the 3rd and moving up to the 2nd where we'd be giving the 2nd division clubs the same financial boost we've given to the 3rd, but that won't happen if they reconstruct ahead of next season based on their current proposals.

Instead, the current 2nd division clubs will get less games against us as well as being up against 9 clubs from the current 3rd who've all been able to strengthen their squads. That's bad news for most of the current 2nd division clubs and it's not exactly good for us either depending on how you look it at. In one sense we'll have more fixture variety playing in a bigger league and that's a good thing as it's why a lot of fans wanted restructuring to take the form of larger leagues, but in another sense the proposals would mean that next season will be more difficult for us than it would be if there is no reconstruction.

If you read my post on the previous page, you'll see that it does make a difference to us and it also makes a difference to most of the current 2nd division clubs.

One issue is that by the end of this season, our current league opponents in the 3rd will have made enough money from Rangers being in their league to significantly strengthen their squads ahead of next season. If there was no reconstruction, then we'd be leaving most of them behind in the 3rd and moving up to the 2nd where we'd be giving the 2nd division clubs the same financial boost we've given to the 3rd, but that won't happen if they reconstruct ahead of next season based on their current proposals. Instead, the current 2nd division clubs will get less games against us as well as being up against 9 clubs from the current 3rd who've all been able to strengthen their squads. That's bad news for most of the current 2nd division clubs and it's not exactly good for us either depending on how you look it at. In one sense we'll have more fixture variety playing in a bigger league and that's a good thing as it's why a lot of fans wanted restructuring to take the form of larger leagues, but in another sense the proposals would mean that next season will be more difficult for us than it would be if there is no reconstruction.

Whilst this is true, a club of our size, stature and financial standing should hold no fears in triumphing over all the clubs in the SFL3, 2 or 1. I would definitely agree with the point on the other Div 2 clubs who have to drop down a division though - just look at Queens Park, they must have made a killing last weekend - and what Div 2 team coming down would be able to compete with them financially when they will have had Rangers at Hampden twice this season with crowds of 60,000 in total ?

Zappa, next season should be more difficult for us anyway as we move into Div 2. But we have money to spend if CG is to be believed. Yes we cant sign anyone till Sept 1, but we know what is happening already in terms of pre-contracts. We should STILL have more than enough in our current squad (if we retain them) to be more than competitive in Div 2. In fact, with this current squad we should be walking Div 2 as well.

I really, really dont want to buy into the "Div 2 will be more difficult" - with the personnel at hand it really shouldnt be, other than the fact that Div 2 teams should be better than Div 3.... we should also remember that our current squad is made up almost entirely of SPL standard players.

Whilst this is true, a club of our size, stature and financial standing should hold no fears in triumphing over all the clubs in the SFL3, 2 or 1. I would definitely agree with the point on the other Div 2 clubs who have to drop down a division though - just look at Queens Park, they must have made a killing last weekend - and what Div 2 team coming down would be able to compete with them financially when they will have had Rangers at Hampden twice this season with crowds of 60,000 in total ?

Zappa, next season should be more difficult for us anyway as we move into Div 2. But we have money to spend if CG is to be believed. Yes we cant sign anyone till Sept 1, but we know what is happening already in terms of pre-contracts. We should STILL have more than enough in our current squad (if we retain them) to be more than competitive in Div 2. In fact, with this current squad we should be walking Div 2 as well.

I really, really dont want to buy into the "Div 2 will be more difficult" - with the personnel at hand it really shouldnt be, other than the fact that Div 2 teams should be better than Div 3.... we should also remember that our current squad is made up almost entirely of SPL standard players.

It's not just Queen's Park either. Every team in the current 3rd division will have had a very significant cash boost from our presence by the end of this season and will have funds to strengthen their squads in the summer. That puts those clubs at an advantage if they're all moved into this proposed 18 team bottom tier because I really don't believe there's currently much of a difference in quality between the 2nd and 3rd. Then under the proposals, next season those same clubs would still be benefiting from our presence in their league despite the fact that we should be leaving most of them behind and going up to rejuvenate the 2nd division in the same way we've done to the 3rd this season. So, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that a fair number of the current 2nd division clubs won't be too chuffed about the proposals unless they're being dangled a significant financial carrot, but it would need to be very significant because the proposals would take away fixtures against us from them and hand them to teams currently in the 3rd.

Regarding the question as to whether the challenge the proposals would create for us would be more difficult for us or not, I agree with most of your points, but I genuinely do think our league campaign next season would be slightly easier if there is no reconstruction and we simply move up to the current 2nd division.

I also think that no matter what form the overall reconstruction of the leagues takes, the only genuinely fair way to implement it would be to do it after Rangers have returned to the top flight and if there was any such thing as "sporting integrity" in Scottish football, then that's exactly what would happen; a reconstruction plan would be agreed, but wouldn't be implemented until a couple of years from now after we've worked our way back to the premier league, evenly boosting the finances of every club and every league on our way up.

It's not really reconstruction is it? there are still 12 clubs in the top league and Rangers will be one of them come 2015-16. (We hope!!)

No-body up there wants us so maybe by making it slightly more difficult for us they could get their wish.

Remember the 12 clubs in SPL2 will be stronger due to the extra dosh they'll make by the time we get to play them.

There's also this 'split shite' 3 leagues of eight.

At the end of season 2014-15 we'll be playing against FOUR clubs from SPL 1 and the other TOP 3 from SPL 2 to gain promotion.

That could be a banana skin, but not if we have the right players in place by then.

am I the only one thinking Longmuir is playing devils advocate in all this ? he must know this SPL-Proposed 12-12-18 has no chance without a SKY deal & new sponsors to replace CB & Barrs Irn-bru. Once it fails he can say it's wasn't my idea & something else gets put forward which he's the head of and the SPL & Doncaster get consigned to history.

Don't forget CG has told SFA/SFL he won't be signing any new SKY deal (current one expires at end of season I believe) so where's the money coming from for this new 12-12-18 set up?