Loving Cup ceremony

I was most impressed by the showing of the Loving Cup ceremomny on the big screens on Saturday.

Charles Green did a small introduction and the David Mason gave a detailed presenation on the history and tradations of the Loving Cups and why one was presented to Rangers. The National Anthem was sung (the crowd joined in) and then the directors toasted the Queen.

It was great to be able to hear something of the history (although it was difficult to make out everything Mason said) and witness the ceremony. Great idea by Green to share it with the fans.

Leggat - GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!

THERE wasn’t very much for Rangers supporters to cheer about at Ibrox on Saturday as the team struggled again, producing a pedestrian display.

But the highlight of the afternoon came at half time, with a piece of inspired PR from the new Rangers regime.

The annual first game of the year Loving Cup ceremony, in which the visiting directors are invited to join the Rangers Board and drink a toast to the Monarch, was filmed and shown on the big screens at half time.

It was wonderfully historic stuff, with the origins of this moving ceremony explained and then the directors of Elgin joining the Rangers board in a chorus of God Save the Queen, before Her Britannic Majesty was toasted by all in fine style from the Loving Cup.

In the Press Box I did not have anything quite so splendid to hand as the Loving Cup, but raised my own toast to Her Majesty with what was available. I wonder if The Queen has ever had her health toasted in Bovril before?

But watching the ceremony, which supporters got a glimpse of for the first time, took me back to something I wrote at the turn of the year when I called for vengeance on those SPL clubs who turned their bigoted hatred on Rangers last summer.

Regular readers will recall that my thoughts were that the visiting directors, on the first home game of the year, should be invited to join in the toast to the Monarch from the Loving Cup only for as long as Rangers remain in the Scottish Football League, among friends, but that that the toast should be confined to the Ibrox Board on Rangers’ return to the top flight, whatever it may be called at the time.

However, having witnessed what I did on Saturday, I have another plan. Let the age-old ceremony of the Loving Cup continue as it has for more than eighty years. And let Rangers also continue to film it and then show it at half time on the occasion of the club’s first home game of the year.

After all, eventually Rangers first foots will be Celtic and it would be wonderful for the Rangers supporters – and Celtic fans too – to be able to see Parkhead chief executive Peter Lawwell join in with the singing of God Save the Queen and then drink a toast to Her Britannic Majesty from the Loving Cup.

There could surely be no objection to this from Peter Lawwell who is, as we know from his desperate desire to see Celtic play in England and from the lengths he is willing to go to achieve that aim, a committed and Loyal Unionist.

The only other high spots from a dull afternoon was the amazing 46,500 attendance, plus the stirring stuff which the Union Bears belted out from start to finish.

After a few problems recently, the Union Bears were back on top of their form, without even a hint of them uttering anything, which the many enemies of Rangers who were straining their ears, could pounce on.

So, here’s to the day when, at half time on the first home game of the year, when Celtic first foot Ibrox, the Union Bears can join the Rangers directors and Peter Lawwell in a rousing chorus of God Save the Queen.

Of course she is mate but I'm just not a major Royalist and personally don't get too bothered about these sort of things. Respect to her and those who do as it seems like a nice wee tradition:thup:

Fair enough Max, I don't expect everyone to be heavily into the royals. It's just people who show total disrespect and go on about the monarchy like some sort of tyranny that bother me.