Leggat - CELTIC BID TO HIJACK RANGERS BLUE CHIP INVESTORS

CELTIC are trying to cash in on the £17M worth of popularity of Rangers with blue chip investors in the City of London.

They have launched a bid to effectively hijack the mega-money men who are backing Rangers.

Today I can reveal that Celtic have launched a Follow-Follow-Rangers scheme to try to discover why the Square Mile institutional investors poured that astonishing £17M into the Rangers share launch.

Celtic also want them to say why they didn't choose to invest in Celtic

My information comes from someone who held a senior position as a financial journalist with one of Britainâ??s most respected media outlets before retiring, but who still maintains contacts in the City.

According to one senior City source, it would seem that Celtic were stunned at the success of the Rangers share issue, which was driven by Ibrox financial director Brian Stockbridge.

Now Celtic appear to have decided that if a Third Division club can convince blue chip investors to part with £17M, Celtic can cash in too and raise cash by pursuing the same institutions.

However, it remains to be seen how they would go about making such a move, for Irish billionaire Dermot Desmond, Celticâ??s major shareholder and effectively Celticâ??s owner, is unlikely to want to see his power within Parkhead slashed.

Which means that Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell and his financial director Eric Riley will have to come up with some sort of wheeze to convince City investors to part with millions and yet have little or no say in running a club which will remain in the iron grip of Dermot Desmond and the man who does his bidding, Peter Lawwell.

Someone else, who it is reasonable to assume will be consulted in how best to schmooze Square Mile investment managers, is former Celtic chairman Brian Quinn, a former Deputy Governor of the Bank of England.

One thing which the contact Celtic have been initiating with the institutional investors who have backed Rangers to the tune of £17M, even though the club is in the Third Division, appears to reveal is that Celtic may believe they have missed out on millions.

There may also be a fear within Parkhead that the new Rangers regime have big plans for further investment and expansion when the club returns to the top flight.

AND......

ODIOUS CREEP continues to cock a snoot at and take the mickey out of Herald managing director Tom Blott, who is paying him £500-a-pop for a Big Interview, which is far from being that, in the expensive - £1.50p-a-copy â?? Saturday edition of the Herald.

Last week Odious Creepâ??s so called Big Interview took the form of quick phone calls to a fellow journalist, the Belfast Newsletterâ??s Robert McElroy, as well as Norman Watson of the Newcastle United Supporters Trust.

Inteviews? No more than, maybe. Big? Do me a favour.

It was whatâ??s known in the old inky trade as a gash piece, of the sort usually given to a young reporter to do, to give him experience. Yet Odious Creep presented it as the culmination of his weekâ??s work and worth £500 of Tim Blottâ??s money.

No wonder those inside the Herald sports department, reporters and sub editors alike, are furious at the way £500 is being thrown at Odious Creep ever week for his pisspoor efforts. Especially as Blott ruled the Herald could not afford to send a reporter to Australia to cover Andy Murray's bid for a second Grand Slam. There are now also real fears on the editorial floor that Odious Creepâ??s presence in the £1.50p Saturday Herald, will hit sales of that dayâ??s paper, sales which are vital to the very existence of the Herald.

Odious Creep was also on BBC Radio Scotland again on Saturday night, for what looks like being a regular weekly slot on what used to be the nationâ??s most listened to sports programme, but which is already plunging in the ratings.

And Creepâ??s continued presence on BBC Radio Scotland each Saturday night is something else which is causing some disquiet among long serving and long suffering staff journalists on the mismanaged by Tim Blott, Herald. For it means no Herald hack can any longer appear as occasional guests on BBC Radio Scotland on a Saturday, as the broadcaster has a hard and fast rule than no more than one journalist-per-paper can appear on a show.

i dont really get this. are they planning a share issue?

If they can find a way to get a share flotation to fly. They are absolutely astounded at the reaction in the City to Rangers share launch.

Lawwell and Riley most likely thought that we had been beaten down so badly that it would take us ten years to garner enough

economic power to build a challenging team. They never seen Charles and his team coming, and they are unbalanced by his team's

ability to regroup so quickly. Why do you think Dermot Desmond came out a few months back with his little speech about how we

were a great team with a great history? It wasn't for our benefit, but more to show the City that he could accept 'business is business'.

They won't invest with a sore loser. Also as Leggo says Desmond has an iron-grip at Celtic and why would anyone want to invest if

they couldn't shake that power of his loose? Remember he has Celtic paying him for a multi-million pound loan in perpetua, why

would he give that up? Some dilemma for the bhoy cabal. I love Leggos last sentence - " There may also be a fear within Parkhead

that the new Rangers regime have big plans for further investment and expansion when the club returns to the top flight."

No Surrender, Charles.

other things about DD is I believe he takes his full annual dividend from his Septic shares and he keeps his shareholding just below the amount which would require him to make a takeover bid.

Leggat's article is interesting. It suggests CG & Co have sussed no one will invest in Septic whilst DD retains his current investment which I believe to be around 29% which as I said is just below the level requiring him to make an outright takeover. It also mentions his statement last October about us being 'a magnificent club with a great history'. Many wondered why he said that & I think McMurdo's daily blog was bang on when he said he was concerned for the state of Scottish football in general where his investment could lose serious value without Rangers in the top league. It did of course upset many of 'them' as one would expect

But it is the final part of Leggat's article suggesting further investment & expansion which I think is most interesting of all. CG & Co are well ahead of schedule in getting us back to where we belong and this would seriously alarm 'them' because as I continually ask why is it if they're so financially sound do they continually shop in the bargain basement for players? yes they've had a good CL largely due to a poor defensive Spartak side and good fortune against Barcelona which will stand them in good stead but will they spend that money? Is there something about their finances we don't know about ? I've heard it suggested they could face massive stadium bills in the near future. Could that be the case ?

Only time will tell but here's hoping CG & Co keep up the good work

other things about DD is I believe he takes his full annual dividend from his Septic shares and he keeps his shareholding just below the amount which would require him to make a takeover bid.

Leggat's article is interesting. It suggests CG & Co have sussed no one will invest in Septic whilst DD retains his current investment which I believe to be around 29% which as I said is just below the level requiring him to make an outright takeover. It also mentions his statement last October about us being 'a magnificent club with a great history'. Many wondered why he said that & I think McMurdo's daily blog was bang on when he said he was concerned for the state of Scottish football in general where his investment could lose serious value without Rangers in the top league. It did of course upset many of 'them' as one would expect

But it is the final part of Leggat's article suggesting further investment & expansion which I think is most interesting of all. CG & Co are well ahead of schedule in getting us back to where we belong and this would seriously alarm 'them' because as I continually ask why is it if they're so financially sound do they continually shop in the bargain basement for players? yes they've had a good CL largely due to a poor defensive Spartak side and good fortune against Barcelona which will stand them in good stead but will they spend that money? Is there something about their finances we don't know about ? I've heard it suggested they could face massive stadium bills in the near future. Could that be the case ?

Only time will tell but here's hoping CG & Co keep up the good work

His shareholding far exceeds 29%, he got an exemption from the takeover rules.

Trainer the second biggest shareholder just "sold" £5.25m worth of shares from his personal holding to one of his companies to help fund his divorce.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/celtic-tycoon-sells-5-million-1545820

If there is anything at all to this story it'll just be Desmond trying to recoup some of his cash on the back of the rise in their share price.