Sports Direct

Guest carter001

Guest carter001

I'm not sure if there has been a thread about this already but, I was talking to someone fairly senior at Ibrox and he asked what the 'word on the street' was regarding Rangers getting involved with Sports Direct and, how the fans feel about it.

I got the impression that they are quite difficult to work with and can be quite demanding. Even so far as to say they want to choose who our shirt manufacturer is, Also input as to shirt sponsor and, obviously, the name of the stadium.

I could only give my opinion but, thought i'd put it our there on this forum, as most of the time the comments are constructive.

What do you think?

Well, Mike Ashley is only a minority investor/share-holder so I can't see how he can force through any of the issues above.

Obviously if he decides to sponsor the stadium (or the strip) then he may want a say in how that works but that's up to Green et al to negotiate.

For the vast majority of fans I'd fancy they don't particularly care about how many SD adverts there are or who makes the strip as long the money is right. For others, the quality of strip-maker, and the associated logistics of the marketing are vital but even they may have to concede the income is paramount as long as the club continues to make a loss.

Guest carter001

That was pretty much my feeling. We need money and he is willing to put some in, albeit with certain conditions that benefit his business.

There are far worse companies to be associated with.

I believe there will be some announcements soon, probably next week, regarding each of there deals but, my money is on Puma being the shirt manufacturer as it ties in closely with Sports Direct.

Yeah, I think Puma is the favourite but it remains to be seen if they win the deal and who will be the sponsor on the shirt from next season.

GS reckons Tennents will be very keen but keen enough to increase the money involved?

Guest carter001

I suppose as long as we can get suitable deals at the right money thats all that matters.

A £9m-£10m loss this year makes a very big dent in the share issue money raised! This has to be reduced somehow.

I wonder what other 'out the box' deals we could get? Things we haven't tried before that could generate large amounts of cash, as I don't think shirt sales, shirt sponsorship and stadium renaming are going to prevent further losses.

I appreciate the 'money will useful' line but surely not everything has to have a price! Or do we end up with each player sponsored by a different company.

IS any company acceptable? Would you want provident for example, as long as the money is right?

We should tread carefully imo and not give away club decisions.

I appreciate the 'money will useful' line but surely not everything has to have a price! Or do we end up with each player sponsored by a different company.

IS any company acceptable? Would you want provident for example, as long as the money is right?

We should tread carefully imo and not give away club decisions.

Sorry to burst your bubble BM but we already have every player sponsored by a different company/group. :)

The bottom line should be what value a deal would generate but my personal feeling is to keep it all reasonable, i.e not give away too much power to a sponsor as that would very certainly proof to be unhealthy in the long run.

Sorry to burst your bubble BM but we already have every player sponsored by a different company/group. :)

Talking about shoes there mate? By the way, did we ever have a Puma manufactured strip, I don't remember one. Should be really interesting what design will ome out.

I think most fans will accept a stadium naming rights deal, but the new owners need to be very careful about it and definitely not sell the naming rights on a long term basis unless the money is stunning. All the rumours we've heard so far combined with a little logic point to it not being a lot of money we're looking at for selling the stadium name at the moment, so it really has to be a short term deal.

With a long term naming rights deal we should ultimately be looking at the buyer essentially paying for a stadium refurb, upgrade & expansion package in exchange for a long term contract (5 to 50 years depending on the level and cost of the stadium development work they'd be willing to undertake).

Regarding the kit: After everything that's happened, the kit manufacturer somehow seems more trivial than ever before, but I think if it's Puma it'll be received as a sort of 'oh well' type affair. Quite a lot of people will be disappointed at us not managing to get Adidas, but nobody is going to make a fuss about it unless the new strip is very poor quality or a horrific design.