Reconstruction vote date set

SPL sets reconstruction vote date

Last Updated: March 11 2013, 18:07 GMT

Scottish Premier League clubs will vote on a reconstruction package on April 15 with a view to it being implemented by the start of next season, the league has confirmed.

Stephen Thompson: Believes plan will be in place for next season

The 12 top-flight clubs met at Hampden on Monday to discuss the new rule book for the proposed three leagues of 12-12-18, which would split into 8-8-8-18 after 22 games.

It will take an 11-1 vote to pass the motion, which will also have to be approved by the Scottish Football League, who have yet to set a date for their vote.

Dundee United chairman and SPL board member Stephen Thompson, said: "Everything is positive and moving forward. There is a process in place and we will take it from there."

Asked if he thought reconstruction would be in place for the start of next season, he replied: "That's the plan."

St Mirren chairman Stewart Gilmour was more cautious as he left Hampden earlier in the day.

He said: "We had a good discussion. There was good dialogue and difference of opinion but a long way to go.

"I don't know what will happen. The SFL clubs are still to meet and until they come back...

"There is a lot of tidying up to be done.

"The biggest thing is, once the SFL clubs meet, I'm sure they all have their own opinions as well so there is a long way to go.

"If you make a decision to change, it is best to happen right away but whether we get to that in time, I don't know."

Ross County chairman Roy MacGregor admitted he was concerned with the practicalities of the split.

He said: "There is a lot of debate to go on yet and we will see how that goes.

"My concerns are for the fans. About 80 to 85 per cent of what is there I really believe in; one league body, redistribution (of money), more competitiveness, but I do feel for the fans who are asked to buy a 22-match season-ticket.

"That it is short-changing them and I believe that long-term, if that resolution is not sorted, it could be the end of people buying season tickets.

"The fan is the most important person, not the clubs, not anything else and I do believe that considering what the fans are getting is really important.

"But it is good, healthy debate. I must stress that and everyone in that room is very positive to get a resolution, so it goes ahead quite possibly."

What I don't get is:

Why is this whole show being run by 12 teams, with hardly a penny to their name???

Indeed. Teams that look over their shoulder and wait for the tax-man or the bank-managers should cough up millions to finance this? When an unpaid 40k bill brought one of the "bigger" smaller teams into trouble, i.e. Dunfermline, who are millimeters away from the wall now? Or (as it stands) ICT, who will receive some 1.5m in prize money, but have to cough up 600k to finance the new model, which is twice as much as champions Scum and the third-placed team (which would get nigh the same prize-money)? That will please the likes of Butcher. And obviously, the new system will by so ingenius that fans will stream back into the grounds in their thousands next season, much like it was predicted for this season. Now wait ...