Worst Team In Our History

The 80s team was a good side. It's just that they played badly and lacked confidence. If Ferguson or McLean had managed them they would have won a few trophies.

Much better than the current squad.

Cammy,

I started watching Rangers regularly around the time that Jock Wallace took over so I have a soft spot for that team as well. The early 80's team thrilled and frustrated me in equal measure. When they were up for a game they could be great but when they when confidence was low or they came up against superior players (I hate to admit that the Sheep's players of the same period were better, but they were) they could sometimes look clueless. The mid 80's defence, with Patterson and McPherson at centre half, was often an accident waiting to happen but they could defend a heck of lot better than the present lot.

Given the resources that Rangers had at the time - the stadium was fully built remember - the team wasn't well managed and we signed quite a few duds. Your namesake Cammy Fraser immediately springs to mind. Jock Wallace's up and at 'em style could only get you so far and up against the likes of McLean and Ferguson it was too often doomed to failure. I think overall that the players from that period weren't as bad as we sometimes thought as we sat shivering in the Copland or stood freezing in the Enclosure on a mid-week night. They were just badly managed and unlucky enough to be playing for Rangers at a time when two of the finest managers Scotland has ever produced (I hate to admit this about Ferguson) were managing other teams. Celtic were equally shite around this time as well remember.

Right now the players are worse quality than then - which is to be expected from where we are and Transfer embargo that we labour under. But they should look much better given the standard of opponent that they are facing. The players of the early 80's were occasionally completely outclassed by Aberdeen and Dundee United but that was accepted. They sometimes looked clueless against the likes of St Mirren or Hibs but more often than not they got through. Big Jock was a dinosaur leading us nowhere but his players never looked like they didn't care. Too many of the current lot do and the buck for that stops with the current manager.