Worst Team In Our History

Recently, this unwanted term has been pointed at Paul Le Guenâ??s Rangers team, Walter Smithâ??s Rangers team and Alex McLeishâ??s Rangers team. In all three cases this has been grossly unfair.

Whilst discussing Greens comments on Saturday, one of my mates stated that this current Rangers team isnâ??t as bad as the team during the early 80â??s. That being the first Rangers team that I had the privilege of following week in, week out, I disagreed.

Below is my best 11 from season 1983 season, the season in which Jock Wallace replaced John Greig as manager and I would bet that it would destroy the current Rangers team :

Nicky Walker

Jimmy Nicholl

Craig Patterson

John McLelland

Ally Dawson

Robert Prtyz

Bobby Russell

Ian Redford

Davie Cooper

Ally MCoist

Sandy Clark

Thoughts ?

Cammy F

Recently, this unwanted term has been pointed at Paul Le Guen’s Rangers team, Walter Smith’s Rangers team and Alex McLeish’s Rangers team. In all three cases this has been grossly unfair.

Whilst discussing Greens comments on Saturday, one of my mates stated that this current Rangers team isn’t as bad as the team during the early 80’s. That being the first Rangers team that I had the privilege of following week in, week out, I disagreed.

Below is my best 11 from season 1983 season, the season in which Jock Wallace replaced John Greig as manager and I would bet that it would destroy the current Rangers team :

Nicky Walker

Jimmy Nicholl

Craig Patterson

John McLelland

Ally Dawson

Robert Prtyz

Bobby Russell

Ian Redford

Davie Cooper

Ally MCoist

Sandy Clark

Thoughts ?

Cammy F

In all due respect you can't match that team to present team and they didn't play bottom tier of scottish Football, but i would take that team now over present team.

Them above team struggled in a league where Dundee UTD and Aberdeen not only dominated Scottish Football but got to and in Aberdeens case won European trophies. The Aberdeen and Dundee UTD teams of that era were a joy to watch (but admittedly, they were brilliantly managed and coached by SAF and Jim McLean and a certain Walter Smith!).....

Cammy F

Them above team struggled in a league where Dundee UTD and Aberdeen not only dominated Scottish Football but got to and in Aberdeens case won European trophies. The Aberdeen and Dundee UTD teams of that era were a joy to watch (but admittedly, they were brilliantly managed and coached by SAF and Jim McLean and a certain Walter Smith!).....

Cammy F

And both teams packed full of home grown Scottish talent nurtured and assembled in a cost effective manner.

How many of from Saturdays line up would get in that team - maybe Lee Wallace? Im a bit young to remember half of that side playing but any team with Cooper and McCoist would surely batter that current team.

I remember my first ever Gersnet post, it was a thread "Worst Rangers team of all time" back in 2003 under McLeish. Cammy was the first to respond saying I didnt obviously see this team in the 80s. I would take that thread back now. Yes, this is different circumstances after being thrown into Div 3 but it is our worst side, however with a good manager and coach it could improve itself.

It isnt even debatable Cammy. That team above would destroy today's team.

Cooper up against Argyriou ?

Prytz or Redford against Black ?

McCoist and Clark against Cribari & Perry ?

Paterson & McLelland having to deal with just McCulloch or Little ?

Would be embarrassing.

BTW, a BIG welcome back - been far too long since you have been seen here - hopefully we will see you around a whole lot more.