Show Ally the money

[h=1]Show Ally the money[/h]

Exclusive

By IAIN KING

Published: 5 minutes ago

[h=3]RANGERS legend Paul Gascoigne has pleaded with Charles Green to splash the cash â?? and give Ally McCoist the chance he deserves as Ibrox boss.[/h]Gazza opened his heart exclusively to SunSport as he battles back from the brink after his recent stint in rehab in the USA.

The former Ibrox hero was thrilled to see close pal Coisty lift the Third Division title at the weekend.

He ignored the flak boss Ally has taken for Gersâ?? stumbling run-in and insisted: â??Once Coisty starts investing in the players he wants THEN you can judge him properly.

â??That will be him as the real Rangers manager, when he has an open wallet to play with.

â??Right now you are seeing 50 per cent of the coach I believe he can become.

â??Give the man a chance because he is keeping the club afloat right now. I am glad Charles Green has had the common sense to realise what Ally has been left with and kept him.â?

Gazza is keeping tabs on the reconstruction saga to see where Gers end up.

He rapped: â??Common sense should be shown by the geezers in charge of Scottish football and they should get Rangers back where they belong.

â??I saw the fansâ?? boycott at Dundee United and I agreed with it. What happened to Rangers had nothing to do with the staff, the fans or Coisty but they feel as if they keep getting punished. I understand that.

â??I think there has been a lot of disrespect towards a club that I love.

â??They need to wake up to the fact that they need Rangers in the SPL.

â??Itâ??s critical to the game there, everyone outside of Scotland looks to the Old Firm game. For the sake of Scottish football that HAS to come back.

â??Itâ??s a joke, they should promote the game and that means Rangers and Celtic playing each other.â?

Gascoigne is gearing up for a return to Glasgow in the SunSport-backed Audience with Gazza at Glasgowâ??s Thistle Hotel on Friday May 3.

A host of his old Nine in a Row pals, led by Richard Gough, have pledged to support him and he said: â??Coisty IS Rangers right now and the club owe him for that.

â??I hope I can see him when I come back up, it will be nice to say hello and share a laugh with the little fatty!â?

[h=1]It’s been hell.. Coisty’s lucky he didn’t end up in rehab with me[/h]gazza_1703369a.jpgPARTY TIME ... Gazza and McCoist had so many good times celebrating Gers' trophy success

Exclusive

By IAIN KING

Published: 19 minutes ago

[h=3]PAUL GASCOIGNE climbed the famous marble staircase, then popped his head round the door of the manager’s office.[/h]There behind the desk sat Ally McCoist, the pal he’d laughed with, cried with, lost with, won with, fought with...

Then launched fireworks at his house.

A smile creased the face of the flawed Geordie genius and pride coursed through him.

His old mucker, Rangers manager.

That was before Craig Whyte’s disastrous reign brought the club tumbling down.

Before Gers’ Greatest Ever Striker had to face up to life as boss of the club he loves in Division Three.

As he fights the biggest battle of his life to stay off the booze and out of the grasp of the demons that haunt him, Gazza’s mind was yesterday firmly back on football.

And Super Ally.

Gascoigne believes Rangers would not have survived the darkest days in their history without McCoist.

He brushed off any criticism of the manner of the Blues’ title triumph and said: “God knows how many sleepless nights Ally has had this season, yet he’s still there fighting.

“Good on him, it’s a wonder he didn’t end up in rehab with me!

“Listen, when I walked into the manager’s office and saw Coisty sitting behind the desk, I was so proud of him.

“I know how much the club means to him and it is such a shame that he should get the job at one of the biggest clubs in the world and be forced to go through all this.

“The job has been taken out of his hands, bless him.

“Before you know it, there has been this massive shock and the club is on its knees.

“Yet the experience Ally has come through this season will stand him in great stead in the long run.

“I pray he never has to go through anything like this again. But if he does he will be ready for it.

“He has handled it so well. I watch his media conferences and he gets questions thrown at him about all sorts of things.

“He is the only manager I know who answers 20 per cent of his questions about football and 80 per cent on finances.

“He is a coach, director and chairman rolled into one, but he is strong enough to cope with all of that.”

When Walter Smith signed Gazza in that stunning £4.3million transfer coup from Lazio in 1995, he found a kindred spirit in McCoist.

Behind the pranks and the belly-laughs lay two steely-eyed winners.

Even now the respect for an arch predator is evident in the distinctive tones of the most gifted footballer of his generation.

Gazza recalled: “Ally was a terrific striker because he wasn’t just a goal poacher. He could score from everywhere — headers, volleys, shots from outside the box.

“The one that sticks in my mind is that driller from distance against Switzerland at Euro 96. The sad thing for Scotland was that the goal wasn’t enough to take them through.

“But he was some player and he was a clever guy, too, because we used to play Countdown in the dressing-room after training and he always beat me!

“Still my revenge was that I used to launch some fireworks at his house. I loved that.

“I remember calling him at 3am and saying: “I have a present for you, open your ****ing window.”

“He did and I launched the biggest rocket I have ever seen at his house. It was fun that.

“He was screaming at me: What the **** is that?’ and ducking behind his curtains!”

If there’s a moment that sums up the relationship between the two Ibrox icons, it came during the 1996 Coca-Cola Cup Final against Hearts at Celtic Park.

McCoist — once again showing the instincts that brought 355 goals in 581 games for Rangers — had already notched twice when Gascoigne shaped to make a pass and the telepathy disappeared.

Gazza made a show of his displeasure to the punters by waving his arms in disgust, Coisty lost the plot.

The pair had to be separated in the dressing-room and Gascoigne grimaced: “We had a one-minute fall-out when I told him to move for a pass, then I didn’t deliver the ball.

“To be honest, I was angry at myself but I had a blast at him and he lost it in the dressing-room at half-time.

“I was wrong, so I apologised to him and said I would do better in the second half.

I scored a couple, we won 4-3 and lifted the cup and we were back as pals again.”

Gascoigne is on his way back to Glasgow for the SunSport-backed Audience With Gazza at Glasgow’s Thistle Hotel on Friday, May 3.

The Nine in a Row band of brothers will be out in force to support a star whose fall from grace took him into a sea of drink and to the brink of death.

Drying out in Arizona has left Gazza with a mission in life again, fighting his battle every day.

You pray for the talent that brought us so many moments to treasure as he sighed: “It’s amazing, people have this picture of me that I have been drinking solidly for years and years.

“I have had a long time to sit and think about this and I have worked it out.

“In the last 11 years I have been drinking seriously for about 14 weeks of that time — yet it has caused me all this damage.

“I know if I take a drink again, I am going to die and that’s the truth of life for me now.”

[h=3]PAUL GASCOIGNE was taken to school for 90 minutes by Ian Durrant and knew he’d been jousting with a midfield genius.[/h]Gazza will never forget the Under-21 clash between Scotland and England at Pittodrie in February 1988.

Even if he tried to, Durrant wouldn’t let him.

England may have won the Euro Championship qualifier 1-0 — but the Geordie maverick’s lasting memories are of losing his own tussle with an Ibrox prodigy at the peak of his powers.

Their confrontation came just eight months before Durrant’s knee was wrecked on the same turf in a horror tackle from Neil Simpson during a fiery Aberdeen-Gers clash.

Gazza recalled: “I knew Durranty before I came to Ibrox because I had played against him in the Under-21s.

“The press around that game were billing it as a competition to see who was the best young midfielder in Britain — and Durrant BATTERED me.”

With Gers pal Derek Ferguson and Celtic’s Peter Grant as his sidekicks in midfield, Durrant bossed it.

Somehow, the Scots still slipped to defeat.

Yet Gazza knew he’d been in a game.

He added: “I went home to my dad and told him I had just played against one of the best midfielders I’d ever come across.

“Durranty was absolutely outstanding.”