Leggat - Odious Creeps's Neil Patey Claims Could Lead To Court Action

JUST how much damage is the irresponsible journalism of Odious Creep doing to the Herald, a paper he pockets £50,000-a-year from for producing drivel on a part time basis?

And a paper so hard up that it is so short staffed it did not have a staff sports writer available to cover the Rangers game against Queens Park at Hampden last Saturday.

These are surely dire days for a once mighty paper, now reduced to the ranks of being a wee local rag which has to hide its plummeting circulation from advertisers for six months at a time.

Perhaps that answers my original question. Odious Creepâ??s presence in the Herald, both the paper and the on-line edition, is doing untold damage to the Heraldâ??s reputation for employing proper journalists.

That is, journalists who stick to the facts. Journalists who are accurate. Journalists who are honest. Odious Creep does not stick to the facts. Odious Creep is not accurate. Therefore, some may say, Odious Creep is not honest.

Yet he sails under the Heraldâ??s colours when he appears on BBC Radio Scotland and on television too. Therefore, every time he spouts, in that curious lisping delivery, something which is proven to be just plain factually wrong, he taints the Herald.

For he represents that once proud paper, whose legendary leader writer S.L â??Samâ? McKinlay, a stickler for the facts, for accuracy and for truth, was my first editor when I joined the Evening Times way back in the mid 1960s.

When Odious Creep appeared on television and claimed he had never called Rangers cheats, he was representing the Herald. When Chris Graham wiped the floor with Creep and proved that he had, Creep simply sulked. The picture of him, captured for all eternity, is a classic of a wee boy whose scone has been well and truly stolen.

But his latest nonsense really did defy description when, not having learned his lesson, he blustered once again when on the airwaves with the excellent Chris Graham from The Rangers Standard. This time Creep spouted, as though it were a fact cast in stone, something which was patent rubbish.

Odious Creep insisted Rangers are a new club. Chris Graham called summoned the verdict of two Law Lords, the SFA, UEFA and FIFA to refute this wild and totally unjustified claim by Odious Creep. A claim which is the standard script of all Rangers haters.

Creep then tried to lay claim to various anonymous financial experts to back his spurious spew of nonsense and when pressed finally summoned the name of Neil Patey, every newspaper and broadcasterâ??s go-to-guy on footballing financial stories. Patey, Odious Creep insisted, had said Rangers are a new club.

Except he didnâ??t. Neil Patey had said no such thing. For Neil Patey is a professional man, an intelligent man, a man who knows what he is talking about. In short, Neil Patey is everything Odious Creep is not. On Monday Neil Patey spoke to Chris Graham and made his position crystal clear. Oldco and Newco are legal entities which have owned and now own the club. Rangers the club and are quite simply, Rangers. Always were and still are.

Chris Graham then blogged on The Rangers Standard and produced a wonderful clinical dissection of Odious Creep as he dismantled Odious Creepâ??s maniacal claims and with them any last vestige of any journalistic credibility Odious Creep had.

It was a wonderful job which Chris Graham did on Odious Creep. But not as good as the one Creep did on himself when, within minutes of the Rangers Standard blog appearing, Creep took to Twitter to continuing to insist Rangers are a new club and that Neil Patey had said so. Had it been a couple of weeks earlier I would have kept my ear open for a cock crowing. Three times.

However, despite all of this evidence of what many of his colleagues inside both the BBC and the Herald, not to mention the wider world of journalism, believe to be Odious Creepâ??s dire incompetence, the Herald continue to employ a man who hasnâ??t even got a clue what is going in his own industry, far less in the world of football.

Let me tell you a story to illustrate just how out of touch he is. Odious Creep paid a brief visit to the Herald editorial to meet new editor Magnus Llewelin. He had his baby daughter with him. He was overheard to make a disparaging remark about one of the most popular and well liked sports writers in Scotland, Michael Baillie, known to all with great affection as Pup.

How, Odious Creep was heard to muse, could someone like Michael Baillie make a living as a freelance. The answer is that he hasnâ??t been a freelance for a year and is a staff sports writer with the Scottish Daily Express. The Pup did operate for a number of years as a freelance and did make a living, as he was industrious, diligent and painstaking when it came to facts. As well as being popular with football folk and his colleagues. Indeed, all the things Odious Creep is not.

He comes across as slothful, sloppy and with no regard for the facts, plus sneeringly arrogant, deeply unpleasant. I also know for a fact that Odious Creep is extremely unpopular with the overwhelming majority of his press pack colleagues. Even the ones who talk to him.

But back to Neil Patey, the latest name to be taken in vain by Odious Creep. Patey is a professional man whose intelligence, understanding and knowledge of his subject, along with his integrity are the tools of his profession. They have been impugned by Odious Creep who was caught bang to rights, live on BBC Scotland, while sailing under the Heraldâ??s colours and further damaging the paperâ??s reputation.

But, then again, I would expect no more from Odious Creep.

I wonder if Neil Pateyâ??s lawyers will get involved? It wouldnâ??t be the first time mâ??learned friends had to be called upon to curb the wilder excesses of Odious Creepâ??s imagination and silence his lies. As he is well aware.

Lego is the only person in the world to talk about legal action that never materializes more than whyte.

Agree, the headline is totally misleading it makes it sound as if Patey is considering the fact when there are actually no statements that he is.

Actually, criticism of Leggo aside, I was asking myself today why Spiers is still pushing his old article on Charles Green and racism when the story has moved on so much.

He really is a professional disaster.

Actually, criticism of Leggo aside, I was asking myself today why Spiers is still pushing his old article on Charles Green and racism when the story has moved on so much.

He really is a professional disaster.

Keeps the people away from the real story in Scottish Football, the zombie like trance they are pushing the restructuring through with or better still the downright threats and intimidation.