SPL Vote Defeated!!

Guest Geo the Ger
FOLLOWING today´s vote by the SPL clubs on league reconstruction proposals, Celtic have released the following statement.

´Clearly we are disappointed that todayâ??s proposals have not been voted through. We believe this is a huge missed opportunity for the whole of Scottish football.

We were pleased a number of months ago to have achieved unanimity across all clubs on the proposals for the way forward. We do not understand the rationale now offered for rejecting these proposals and the unwillingness to take the game forward positively. It is unfortunate that the vision shown by the vast majority of clubs is now not shared by all.

We believe these positive proposals would have fundamentally enhanced Scottish football for the future.

Neil Doncaster has an impossible job to do at times and he and his team have worked tirelessly to initiate positive change in Scottish football. They should be applauded for their efforts in this regard and we would like also to place on record our thanks to outgoing SPL Chairman, Ralph Topping.

We understand todayâ??s events are unfortunate and the implications for the game will generate some uncertainty. However, Celtic has strong foundations and will look forward.

We have enjoyed a tremendous season, we are on the verge of securing back to back SPL titles and yesterday we ensured our place in this seasonâ??s Scottish Cup final. This, at the end of a season where we joined Europeâ??s elite as one of the top 16 clubs across the continent.

While we have not reached agreement on these proposals, our club is fundamentally in a very healthy position and now we move on. We thank our fans for their continued support as we move forward.´

Thanks for showing that ... I didn't want to press Agree or Thanks in case anyone thought I wasn't a bluenose. 56 coming next.

[h=1]Donald Findlay tells Aberdeen, Hearts: stop bleating about Monday's vote[/h]

Wednesday 17 April 2013

Cowdenbeath chairman Donald Findlay claims the "bleating" Scottish Premier League club chiefs who have attacked St Mirren and Ross County over the failed league reconstruction bid only have themselves to blame.

Cowdenbeath chairman Donald Findlay claims the \"bleating\" Scottish Premier League club chiefs who have attacked St Mirren and Ross County over the failed league reconstruction bid only have themselves to blame.

Plans to introduce a new 12-12-18 set-up under one league body were shot down on Monday when Buddies chairman Stewart Gilmour and his Staggies counterpart Roy MacGregor both voted no.

That drew stinging rebukes from Hearts chief executive David Southern and Aberdeen chairman Stewart Milne, with Gilmour in particular picked out for criticism.

<p>But Blue Brazil chief Findlay - a former Rangers vice-chairman - says those attacks are the actions of desperate men now releasing that their decision to refuse the Ibrox club re-entry to the SPL after they were reformed as a newco last summer has proved costly.</p>< p>Findlay - who resigned his boardroom role at Rangers in 1999 after being filmed singing a controversial anthem - said: "What I find ironic is the hysterical reaction of certain Premier League chairmen who kicked Rangers out of the SPL for whatever reason.</p>< p>"Suddenly they have realised they have made a big mistake and now want them back in (the same league body) as quickly as possible - but they haven't got their way.</p>< p>"Well hell mend you, you shouldn't have kicked them out in the first place.</p>< p>"It's far too easy to blame the likes of St Mirren and Ross County for what they have done. Of course it is. The problem with the Premier League is that the people who should make themselves out to be the scapegoats are the ones who kicked Rangers out.</p>< p>"What we are seeing now is a fit of pique. They think everybody else should just behave like a bunch of nodding dogs. They are now not happy because some people have said no.</p>< p>"All this bleating that is going on is quite comical."</p>< p>The league reconstruction bid would have seen the SPL merge with the Scottish Football League's three divisions and reformed in a new three-tier set-up.</p>< p>A fairer share of income and the introduction of play-offs were also promised.</p>< p>But those hopes have now been sunk after the SPL clubs failed to reach the minimum 11-1 majority to proceed.</p>< p>Hamilton chairman Les Gray has called a meeting of the 10 Irn-Bru First Division clubs - including Cowdenbeath - on Monday with the prospect of an SPL2 expected to be on the agenda, although SFL chief executive David Longmuir insists there is no plans for a "breakaway".</p>< p>Findlay will attend the second-tier get-together but is adamant that Cowden are "not interested" in joining SPL2 and claims the club favours a 42-club solution.</p>< p>And he was similarly outspoken on the 12-12-18 plans, which several club chairmen have insisted had to be brought in to stave off financial disaster.</p>< p>"I have never thought that simply tinkering with the league structure was the answer," he said.</p>< p>"All this stuff about having two leagues of 12 and then they split at midnight or whatever is definitely not the answer.</p>< p>"Clubs only go out of business because they are not being run properly. It's as simple as that. If you run your club in the right way and live within their means, your club will not be going out of business.</p>< p>"You can do what Cowdenbeath does, and that is live within your means - and we do not have a single penny of debt - or you get the right people in charge of the game, which we don't, to make sure we have a structure which means every club gets a fair share of the income so the smaller clubs get the chance to develop its own players and improve the quality of the product.</p>< p>"That would mean, however, that the big clubs would have to live within their means, which they currently seem incapable of doing."</p>< p>And Findlay suggested the time was now up for Scottish Football Association chief executive Stewart Regan and Neil Doncaster, his opposite number at the SPL.</p>< p>He said: "I would pose the following questions, under the stewardship of Mr Regan and Mr Doncaster has the game improved? Has the product improved? Have the crowds improved? Has the income improved? Has the sponsorship improved?</p>< p>"If the answer is as obvious as it is, then those who organise the game - namely the club chairman - ought to ask if they haven't done so, isn't it time we brought in the men who will?"</p>< p>Third Division Stirling Albion's operations director, Stuart Brown, believes the forthcoming meeting of the First Division clubs is "inappropriate" and claims the formation of an SPL 2 would be a retrograde step for the game in Scotland.</p>< p>He said: "There is an element of divisiveness about that meeting. If they have something to say then why not say it to the 30 clubs, rather than have a meeting that can only be described as unofficial.</p>< p>"I shudder to think what would happen if there was an SPL 2 . I hope the First Division chairmen see it as a non-starter.</p>< p>"It would be a real backward step for Scottish football."</p>< p>Third Division Annan Athletic's chairman Henry McClelland believes a solution can only come by involving all 42 clubs.</p>< p>"I don't agree with the First Division clubs having the meeting, it looks as if they are trying to stitch something up," he said.</p>< p>"I would be very disappointed in the First Division clubs if the purpose of the meeting was to try to form an SPL 2 but I don't think that will be the case.</p>< p>"I believe all 42 clubs should get together with an arbitrator, someone like Henry McLeish (Scotland's former First Minister), with maybe a couple of other independent people, to find a way forward."</p>But Blue Brazil chief Findlay - a former Rangers vice-chairman - says those attacks are the actions of desperate men now releasing that their decision to refuse the Ibrox club re-entry to the SPL after they were reformed as a newco last summer has proved costly.

Findlay - who resigned his boardroom role at Rangers in 1999 after being filmed singing a controversial anthem - said: "What I find ironic is the hysterical reaction of certain Premier League chairmen who kicked Rangers out of the SPL for whatever reason.

"Suddenly they have realised they have made a big mistake and now want them back in (the same league body) as quickly as possible - but they haven't got their way.

"Well hell mend you, you shouldn't have kicked them out in the first place.

"It's far too easy to blame the likes of St Mirren and Ross County for what they have done. Of course it is. The problem with the Premier League is that the people who should make themselves out to be the scapegoats are the ones who kicked Rangers out.

"What we are seeing now is a fit of pique. They think everybody else should just behave like a bunch of nodding dogs. They are now not happy because some people have said no.

"All this bleating that is going on is quite comical."

The league reconstruction bid would have seen the SPL merge with the Scottish Football League's three divisions and reformed in a new three-tier set-up.

A fairer share of income and the introduction of play-offs were also promised.

But those hopes have now been sunk after the SPL clubs failed to reach the minimum 11-1 majority to proceed.

Hamilton chairman Les Gray has called a meeting of the 10 Irn-Bru First Division clubs - including Cowdenbeath - on Monday with the prospect of an SPL2 expected to be on the agenda, although SFL chief executive David Longmuir insists there is no plans for a "breakaway".

Findlay will attend the second-tier get-together but is adamant that Cowden are "not interested" in joining SPL2 and claims the club favours a 42-club solution.

And he was similarly outspoken on the 12-12-18 plans, which several club chairmen have insisted had to be brought in to stave off financial disaster.

"I have never thought that simply tinkering with the league structure was the answer," he said.

"All this stuff about having two leagues of 12 and then they split at midnight or whatever is definitely not the answer.

"Clubs only go out of business because they are not being run properly. It's as simple as that. If you run your club in the right way and live within their means, your club will not be going out of business.

"You can do what Cowdenbeath does, and that is live within your means - and we do not have a single penny of debt - or you get the right people in charge of the game, which we don't, to make sure we have a structure which means every club gets a fair share of the income so the smaller clubs get the chance to develop its own players and improve the quality of the product.

"That would mean, however, that the big clubs would have to live within their means, which they currently seem incapable of doing."

And Findlay suggested the time was now up for Scottish Football Association chief executive Stewart Regan and Neil Doncaster, his opposite number at the SPL.

He said: "I would pose the following questions, under the stewardship of Mr Regan and Mr Doncaster has the game improved? Has the product improved? Have the crowds improved? Has the income improved? Has the sponsorship improved?

"If the answer is as obvious as it is, then those who organise the game - namely the club chairman - ought to ask if they haven't done so, isn't it time we brought in the men who will?"

Third Division Stirling Albion's operations director, Stuart Brown, believes the forthcoming meeting of the First Division clubs is "inappropriate" and claims the formation of an SPL 2 would be a retrograde step for the game in Scotland.

He said: "There is an element of divisiveness about that meeting. If they have something to say then why not say it to the 30 clubs, rather than have a meeting that can only be described as unofficial.

"I shudder to think what would happen if there was an SPL 2 . I hope the First Division chairmen see it as a non-starter.

"It would be a real backward step for Scottish football."

Third Division Annan Athletic's chairman Henry McClelland believes a solution can only come by involving all 42 clubs.

"I don't agree with the First Division clubs having the meeting, it looks as if they are trying to stitch something up," he said.

"I would be very disappointed in the First Division clubs if the purpose of the meeting was to try to form an SPL 2 but I don't think that will be the case.

"I believe all 42 clubs should get together with an arbitrator, someone like Henry McLeish (Scotland's former First Minister), with maybe a couple of other independent people, to find a way forward."

The less stands open will make it easier to have "sell out Saturday":D

It would be great to be an away fan up there next season.

But if they draw Rangers in the cup you can expect the stand to be fully opened. I hope we do another boycott next season also.

I posted this in the football chat,but thought it would fit in here?.

Dundee United face bill over Damian Casalinuovo

Dundee United have been ordered to pay 230,000 euros in compensation for the signing of Damian Casalinuovo.

The Argentine striker joined from Platense in July 2009 and played 25 times for the Tangerines.

United had originally been ordered to pay 400,000 euros by a Fifa tribunal, which was subsequently reduced to the current figure on appeal.

The Tannadice club are also appealing to the Court of Arbitration in Sport against the revised figure.

Having spent a spell on loan at Raith Rovers from United, Casalinuovo subsequently joined Hamilton and returned to Raith last year.

United understood that no transfer fee was due for the player, but Platense sought compensation.

"Its been all the way through Fifa, we've now appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport," Dundee United chairman Stephen Thompson told BBC Scotland.

Dundee United chairman Stephen Thompson

Thompson expects a drop in income next season

"You're talking about a couple of hundred thousand pounds. That's hard, it's a lot of money. It's in the past and I'm not going to blame anybody for anything, because I don't really know who was to blame at the time."

Meanwhile, Thompson believes recent Scottish league restructuring attempts are "finished".

Proposals for a new 12-12-18 league set-up to replaced the current 12-10-10-10 did not receive the required SPL majority when a vote was taken on Monday.

And Thompson revealed that failure to agree a deal could cost his up to £190,000 in lost income next year.

"It's time to move on and deal with any consequences there are from it," he said.

"We spent a lot of time going down to Glasgow and meetings all over the place. It's not going to happen and we move on and I'm going to concentrate on my club now.

"We currently have no sponsor for the SPL next year. It was £2m I think this year. I've done a calculation based on between £130,000 and £190,000 [in] lost income from the SPL next year, which is tough.

"You could be talking three or four players perhaps in terms of how it relates to wages."

STEWART MILNE delivered it on the steps of Hampden but it might as well have been the sermon on the mount.

The Aberdeen chairman usually prefers to remain in the background but Willie Miller believes his emotional outburst in front of the National Stadium showed exactly what Scottish football and his club means to him.

Milne looked apoplectic with rage as he tore into St Mirren’s Stewart Gilmour and Ross County’s Roy MacGregor for torpedoing the SPL’s reconstruction plans and warned about the consequences.

It was the millionaire house builder’s second passionate performance in days after his pre-vote plea to keep the proposals on track.

Not even Dons fans are used to seeing their chief being so animated but it came as no shock to Miller.

Some punters reckon Milne would leave the game given the chance after 17 years and not much joy in return – but Miller says there’s no way he’d walk away. He is convinced Milne has the best interests of Aberdeen AND Scottish football at heart.

Club legend Miller said: “It might not be a side of Stewart that people have seen often in public, but it’s certainly something I have witnessed a few times working with him for 10 years.

“His public persona might be different but don’t be mistaken. Stewart is a very determined guy and he has got a lot of grit and determination.

“There’s no doubting the passion for his club or for Scottish football. People might have the impression he would rather be away from the club and there was plenty of occasions I would have undersood it myself.

“It can be a thankless task at times. But I have never had the sense that was what he wanted to do.”

Milne’s grit was on show at Hampden – and Miller believes it was exasperation after so much hard work turned to dust.

He said: “Stewart looked angry on Monday but there have been times when he has been like that at Aberdeen.

“You could see the frustration because of all the work that was put in and how far they were down the road.

“It was about the manner of how things worked out more than anything. Stewart felt all 12 clubs had agreed a few months ago and even in recent weeks it seemed as though only one club – Ross County – had doubts.

“But then, at the last minute, another club had a change in heart which killed off the plans. He went from thinking there was a unanimous voice in favour of change to going back to square one. It was the closest we’ve got to all of the clubs finding agreement. The way it unfolded angered him.

“Stewart has seen the constraints placed on the Scottish game and he has genuine concerns for where we are going.

“He is thinking about Aberdeen – but he has always looked at the bigger picture and the greater good of the game in this country.

“He will feel a lot of positive work has been undone now.”

The future of Scottish football is uncertain but Miller is convinced Aberdeen will be okay despite the ominous warning from the chairman.

It’s the Don of a new era and he expects new boss Derek McInnes to be given the backing needed to deliver the goods to Pittodrie.

Miller said: “It is a great opportunity for Derek. Aberdeen are a club that have been run very prudently for a number of years and, unlike other clubs, they are not having to slash their budget every summer.

“The funds available at Pittodrie are very good in comparison with some and Derek will have the support of the board.

“The club is run very well behind the scenes and there is a very successful youth set-up which is starting to provide a production line to the first team.

“Derek will want to bring in his own players as well and he will be given scope to do that. He won’t be throwing around big transfer fees but in Scottish terms his budget will be pretty healthy. So it is a great opportunity for him to progress the club. They have been in the bottom half in the last few seasons and obviously that is not where a club of Aberdeen’s standing should be.

“The budget and infrastructure should mean they are consistently in the top half and pushing for Europe and trophies.”

Miller doesn’t buy the notion Aberdeen fans expect too much due to previous glories – and he knows what would constitute success in the current climate. He said: “Fans are not stupid. They know how difficult it is to compete these days. They are not expecting to win leagues and get to the Champions League.

“But they do expect to be in the top half of the table and in the frame for Europe and in the cup competitions. The club badly needs to get to a final first of all after so many semi-final disappointments in recent years. If Derek can deliver a cup final, I think that would be viewed as a success.

“If he can go further and lift a trophy the response would be huge. Aberdeen have got a big support and if he can finish the season on a high note then it would give them momentum to take into next year.

“It would only take a few results and the whole thing would take off because the fans are out there.

“Derek has a good track record at St Johnstone and the club is in a decent shape to have a successful season next year.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aberdeen-legend-willie-miller-emotional-1838751