What the SFL and Rangers should do

Given the SFLs statement that they're putting forward their own proposal, and given the SPL will undoubtedly reject any proposal they don't control, here's what I think Rangers and the SFL should do:

- Rangers should commit to the SFL, stating that under no circumstances will we return to the SPL or a league run by the same corrupt individuals

- the SFL should negotiate its own TV deal based on this. Given we attract the biggest audience they should get at least half the current SPL deal. They could even approach BTs new channel.

By stating that we will not return the SPL their TV contract will pretty much be void, and the SFL will be in a strong position.

I noticed someone mentioned parallel leagues in another thread (something to do with what Jim Traynor had previously said) and while it's easy to dismiss as crazy or unworkable, I actually quite like the idea of it.

I like the idea of not being in the same league as Celtic, but being in a parallel league and then at the end of the season the two parallel leagues have 2-leg play-offs (home & away) with 1st v 1st, 2nd v 2nd, 3rd v 3rd and so on to decide the final club positions for overall prize money and who gets European spots.

I think that sort of concept would create a dramatic season finale every single season and that's the sort of thing that could possibly interest the broadcasters enough to make them invest more money into Scottish football.

FWIW though, I don't see that idea as a sort of SFL vs SPL scenario, I see it as a brand new structure with all clubs coming together to try to build a more interesting, vibrant and wealthy future for Scottish football.

I noticed someone mentioned parallel leagues in another thread (something to do with what Jim Traynor had previously said) and while it's easy to dismiss as crazy or unworkable, I actually quite like the idea of it.

I like the idea of not being in the same league as Celtic, but being in a parallel league and then at the end of the season the two parallel leagues have 2-leg play-offs (home & away) with 1st v 1st, 2nd v 2nd, 3rd v 3rd and so on to decide the final club positions for overall prize money and who gets European spots.

I think that sort of concept would create a dramatic season finale every single season and that's the sort of thing that could possibly interest the broadcasters enough to make them invest more money into Scottish football.

FWIW though, I don't see that idea as a sort of SFL vs SPL scenario, I see it as a brand new structure with all clubs coming together to try to build a more interesting, vibrant and wealthy future for Scottish football.

Aye, that was me - last September; full post below/

"

We're all heartily sick of the SPL and the mood amongst is is to have nothing more to do with them.

But we want to play a decent level of football; so what to do?

We could start our own league.

Seriously, bear with me.

start a new league, call it the National League; invite some SPL teams (Killie, Well, Hearts, Dundee and Ross County and ICT) and a group from the 1st Div and play a 12 team league with a split as at present. The remaining dross could play in the Scottish League - or they could call it the Keltic League, since they're all in bed with them anyway.

Divs 2 and 3 become regional leagues North and South, Winners of each region go into the NL or the SL.

Winners of the SL and NL play off three games at the end of the season to decide the Championship and thus Champions league spot, runner up into Uefa cup if we only have one CL spot; 2+3rd place teams in each league play off for Uefa cup spots. "

It's basically a variation on Major League Baseball, albeit much, much smaller in scale.

It allows more teams more chances of playing *for* something for longer in the season, thereby creating and sustaining fan interest. Play-offs for European places mean that instead of 4 teams having an interest, you could have 4 teams in two leagues having an interest right up until the final week or weeks of the season.

It's the way to go. Trust me, I'm a doctor.