SFL Player of the Year

Guest mccoist9

Guest mccoist9

What are everyone's thoughts on the nominations for the PFA Player of the Year?

I'm scratching my head to be honest.......I don't even think Templeton is our Player of the Year never mind the top player in the league! The occasional flash of brilliance but far too inconsistent for my liking.

Also I don't understand why the lad McAllister at Peterhead isn't on the shortlist. He's given us bother in each of the games we've played them. Worth a punt in January?

Guest mccoist9

If it wasn't for their respective spells out injured then I'd have thought McCulloch or Little would have been in the running given their goals return. The young lad McLeod would have been in the running too I reckon.

It's difficult to pick a Rangers player as PotY as although we have a few consistent individuals none of the squad have been overly impressive.

Andy Little in my Rangers PotY but it's tight between him and Wallace.

Wallace for me. Looks a class above. Give templeton his due, some of the stuff he's pulled off this season I haven't seen a rangers player manage for years. Inconsistency and greed do irritate though.

What are everyone's thoughts on the nominations for the PFA Player of the Year?

I'm scratching my head to be honest.......I don't even think Templeton is our Player of the Year never mind the top player in the league! The occasional flash of brilliance but far too inconsistent for my liking.

Definitely Jig for me. He's been a solid captain during a strange & difficult season for the club and scored a shit load of goals to boot. I honestly didn't expect him to be as good as he's been, but he's really stepped up and been counted when it mattered.

Andy Little comes a close second and Lee Wallace a close third for me. Wallace has been excellent, but I don't think a defender (or keeper) should get our POTY vote when we've conceded more goals than Peterhead. We should've conceded the least number of goals in the league at this stage, but haven't (we're only behind Peterhead by 1 goal mind you, but still... and it's a home goal too).

Also I don't understand why the lad McAllister at Peterhead isn't on the shortlist. He's given us bother in each of the games we've played them. Worth a punt in January?

We should be working to a tight budget, so in my mind we should completely forget about the likes of Daly and others who will want high SPL level wages and we should bring in lads like McAllister and Nicky Clark to help us next season and see how they get on.

Barrie McKay would have been a shout had he kept playing in his favoured role and then not got injured.

We have some promising youngsters who need a proven coach who can take them onto the next level.

Templeton has shown flashes of what he can do but over the season I cant put him in the top 2 or 3.

I have to give POTY to Andy Little. We all new Wallace and McCulloch were capable of playing at this level, but Little was a fringe player previously and has stepped up to the mark and banged in some cracking goals this season and he'll take some shifting from the first team.

Despite playing badly due to tactics and coaching all the players deserve a mention for being prepared to get the club through the season.

BTW, just found this level-headed article by/about Templeton ...

David Templeton feels unworthy of SFL3 player award

By ANDREW SMITH

Published on 28/04/2013 00:14

THE top flight didn’t have the monopoly on debatable omissions among its players’ player of the year nominees. The Third Division quartet, unlike its Celtic-devoid SPL equivalent, did contain two players from the runaway title winners with resources to dwarf all opponents: Rangers.

But one of those, David Templeton, considered himself unworthy when the fellow Rangers Lee in the top four was Wallace and not McCulloch.

“It is strange,” the winger admitted of the failure of Rangers’ captain to gain such recognition. “Obviously he’s scored 26 goals and played most games. I thought he should have been in there instead of me as I’ve only played 24 games and so I was quite surprised.”

Yet, Templeton, who has bagged a creditable 15 goals, considers he has enjoyed a “great” season. “I’ve just won my first medal as a professional footballer,” he said. “No matter what level it’s at it’s something I’ll always remember so I’ve been happy that we did win it and when I do get my medal I’ll be delighted.”

It is curious to think back now that the campaign began for Templeton with a goal for Hearts against Liverpool at Anfield in a heroic, if futile, draw in the Europa League qualifiers. A couple of weeks later, he made a £750,000 move to a Third Division side with whom he has no chance of playing in Europe probably until 2016, at best.

At the age of 17, Templeton was cutting his teeth in the fourth tier of Scottish football with Stenhousemuir. Returning there six years later with a club engulfed in off-field travails he refuses to frame in the negative. Maybe that is to be expected considering he moved there from the model of footballing stability and sustainability down Gorgie way. “I don’t let it faze me now,” he said of boardroom uncertainty at Ibrox. “I had enough of it at Hearts and I learned to deal with it and blank it out and just prepare for every game and as long as I’m doing well on the park then I can only look after myself.”

Templeton doesn’t think about what might have been if he had stayed at Tynecastle in August, because that would have merely delayed the inevitable. “I’d probably have been away in January anyway as they needed the money badly. So it would a case of having another six months, five months there and then I would have been sold somewhere else probably.”

A somewhere else where he might have played at a higher level but would not have earned a higher wage or necessarily experienced such high-maintenance as he now enjoys. As with Wallace, it is the environment behind the scenes, if not the league assignments, that leads Templeton to concur with his team-mate that it has been possible to become a better player at Rangers this past year.

“We’ve got the best of facilities and I’m learning a lot from the gaffer, who’s obviously got a lot of experience,” he said.

Despite his previous first-hand experience of football at the lowest senior level, Templeton was surprised at just how rough and tumble some of the football proved to be. “I knew it would be physical. I’m used to getting kicked because of where I play and it’s just part and parcel of being a winger, but it’s definitely been a lot worse than I thought it would be.

“One game against Stirling Albion four boys got booked in the same game for tackles on me. It’s a bit surprising when you get kicked that much but as I said it’s part and parcel of football and I don’t mind if the ref gives a foul.”

Scotsman