Gregsy still shocked by Gersâ?? plight

McGregor angry at former club's treatment

ALLAN McGREGOR last night revealed his anger at Rangersâ?? treatment last summer â?? and insisted he still LOVES the club.

The Scotland keeper quit Ibrox a year ago to sign a two-year deal with Besiktas.

He walked after refusing to transfer his contract when Gers were punted into Division Three.

But they didnâ??t get a penny for his move to the Turkish giants.

McGregor, 31, has finally broken his silence on the Gers saga.

He said: â??Rangers are a great club and a very large institution.

â??Since childhood, my ambition was to be No 1 for Rangers and I managed that.

â??It wasnâ??t easy for me. Rangers didnâ??t just drop into the Third Division, they were voted there. I still canâ??t believe it happened. It was an impossible situation for us.

â??There was a vote and Rangers were put into the bottom league.

â??They said it was about the spirit of sportsmanship and maintaining the integrity of football.

â??We will see whether if that is still the case in two or three years.

â??Rangers had serious financial problems and, more importantly, had an axe over its head because of a tax debt.

â??But the problem was the owner of the club didnâ??t pay anything for ten months, so it was malicious intent. They could have paid it off by selling a few players.

â??Before the vote, the Kilmarnock chairman said they needed Rangers because of the income they bring to his club and argued they should still be in the top division.

â??There was talk of putting them down a division or changing the league structure. Some clubs even wanted Rangers banned completely.

â??The Rangers chairman said after the vote: â??At least the Third Division wanted usâ??. That was a very funny statement to me.â?

McGregor insists he has no regrets about moving to Turkey â?? even if he admits to missing the intensity of Old Firm derbies.

â??The Rangers-Celtic rivalry isnâ??t as bad as it was. Both clubs have had intensive discussions with the police, which has helped,â? Greegs told Turkish magazine Tam Saha.

â??The atmosphere here is slightly different. They are more crazy! Itâ??s a compelling league and tough.

â??Istanbul is a beautiful city and the people are extremely friendly.

â??But what I didnâ??t expect was the high price of houses and the terrible traffic!â?

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/leaguedivision3/4911321/Gregsy-still-shocked-by-Gers-plight.html#ixzz2S5UoOeBi

Another who has realised they made a mistake. McGregor was probably trying to get one over Whyte by leaving but he didnt realise he was penalising the club and the fans.

Guest JCS

Never fails to amaze me how these guys still love the club and are so sorry for our plight. Best wishes Alan.......have a good future.........but not at our club!

I think he will come back one day. he never wanted to go but had little choice in the end.

he always wanted to play his whole career at rangers.

So what stopped him staying??? It was HIS choice not to transfer over to the newco.....

So what stopped him staying??? It was HIS choice not to transfer over to the newco.....

whyte maybe? but realistically you can't have Scotland's number 1 at 28 playing in the 3rd division. even green didn't want that at 30k a week.

rangers would have gone under if these players had all tupe'd unless buyers were found almost instantly. we were 20k away as it was and that's without another 100 to 200k a week transferring over.

Edited by the gunslinger

whyte maybe? but realistically you can't have Scotland's number 1 at 28 playing in the 3rd division. even green didn't want that at 30k a week.

rangers would have gone under if these players had all tupe'd unless buyers were found almost instantly. we were 20k away as it was and that's without another 100 to 200k a week transferring over.

Valid reasons why the Club may not want him transferring over. How much money he was getting per week & the clubs financial situation aren't really the players problem. The player made the decision not to TUPE over - he could have followed Edu/Goian/Boca and TUPE'd over then transferred or loaned out....but he chose to walk.

There would be ways around that IMO.

he could have stayed and got his 30k a week. not t a thing green could have done about it. i sometimes wonder if people would prefer that as we continue in the third division with a 21 million pound wage bill dragging us under again.

people know they had to go but want them to go on our terms. talk about wanting your cake and eating it.