a3d3006b022af92f9255b8a42d389e65_S.jpg

NEIL ALEXANDER insists he remains hopeful he can still be at Rangers next season despite the fact his current deal is about to end.

The goalkeeper played what could have been his last game for the club last Saturday in the 1-0 win against Berwick at Ibrox.

Keeping his 22nd competitive clean sheet of the campaign, the 35-year-old completed a full season between the posts in which he played every minute of the teamâ??s 47 matches.

Alexander has been a steady influence in goal for Gers over the last nine months or so as he has finally got his chance to be the teamâ??s first-choice option in that department.

And although contract talks have stalled for a number of weeks, he wants to continue his stay at Ibrox rather than move on after five and a half years in Glasgow.

Things havenâ??t changed in terms of the offer made to Alexander. While he wants a two-year deal, he has only been presented with one additional season so far.

The former Cardiff City player will now look to talk to the clubâ??s hierarchy again through his agent again to see if the issue can be resolved.

Working in his favour is the fact manager Ally McCoist wants to keep him as his preference is to have two experienced players competing for the number one shirt next term.

Alexander said: â??It was quite emotional for me after the game at the weekend as I knew it could be my last at Rangers.

â??Things are exactly as theyâ??ve always been. The offer to me is still on the table and that offer was made in February.

â??I need to go away think about it and whatâ??s best both for my family and myself but Iâ??m desperate to stay.

â??I like it a lot here and weâ??ll see what happens in the next week or so. If anything can be resolved or changed that would be great.â?

Alexander fell just short of 100 appearances for the club after signing from Ipswich in January 2008.

But he was able to play in some monumental games including the UEFA Cup final against Zenit St Petersburg in Manchester just four months later.

He was also on the pitch for a Scottish Cup final win over Queen of the South 10 days later as well as the game against Falkirk in which the trophy was retained a year after that.

Alexander played in two memorable League Cup final successes too, the 1-0 win against St Mirren with nine men in 2010 and the 2-1 extra-time triumph against Celtic two years ago.

If he canâ??t reach agreement and strike a deal to stay with the 54-times Scottish champions, the former Scotland cap will still take comfort from what he did in his time in Govan.

Alexander added: â??I canâ??t complain really. Iâ??ve had five and a half fantastic years here and Iâ??ve been very fortunate to win a lot of medals.

â??Iâ??ve been involved in a lot of big games and big finals in the UEFA Cup, the League Cup and the Scottish Cup.

â??Iâ??ve always said I was very proud and privileged to have played at this club and it has been a great honour.

â??If it turns out I am going to move on this summer, I can do so with some great memories and my head held high.â?

CLUBNEWS.jpg

Read more on the official site...

We shouldn't even be offering to keep him at all if it's on the same wages. There's absolutely no chance that at this point in time, with us set to be playing in the 3rd tier of Scottish football next season, we should be paying 15 grand a week or whatever it is he earns. No chance. It's ridiculous.

it's obviously not the same wages or he'd have signed ages ago.

It's still probably enough to cover the wages of two players, who might at least have a potential sell on value not to mention get more game time.

At the top level I can see the need for having two experienced keepers, but if we keep on Alexander we'll have to find someone else to replace him by the time we get there anyway.

In Div2 I think we can afford to risk having a younger keeper on the bench.

Hope Alexander stays because he's a better keeper IMO than Cammy Bell whom I've grave reservations about. However Alexander would clearly be unable to continue to get his £13k pw or whatever he's on & would need to accept less

Think the word is that he has now left the club. I'd doubt he's getting a deal unless on greatly reduced terms. He leaves with thanks but we can't afford to be sentimental.

Now, when's Boyd, miller, smith and Nacho signing!!

He's a good enough goalie and to be truthful at one point I would've had him as first choice ahead of McGregor but if he's really on 13k a week then he has to go unless he'll take at least a 50% cut in wages. As we can't afford anymore than that.....