BBC Biased reporting?

Too many Foreigners at the OF

Law wants more Scots at Old Firm

Rangers' Brahim Hemdani challenges Celtic's Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink

Hemdani and Vennegoor of Hesselink are Old Firm foreigners

Denis Law believes a growing number of foreigners at Celtic and Rangers is stifling home-grown talent.

"That's a long story, but you do wonder, and Scottish football and the Scottish team is suffering," the former Scotland striker told Radio Five Live.

"You don't really know why the Scottish youth has dried up, but in a way you've got to look at them not getting the opportunity and that's the problem."

Law believes the Old Firm should be providing the backbone of the team.

"You look at the Rangers team and the Celtic team, which a good part of the Scottish team was taken from, and basically there are so many foreign players in there that it's got to be very difficult," he said.

Celtic fielded five players from outside the British Isles in their team to play Dunfermline Athletic on Saturday.

Rangers had six foreign players in their line-up to take on Hibernian on Saturday.

First off, as things are improving atboth clubs is this article about 5 years late? And are Hearts not the worst offenders now?

On to the point anyway:

This weekend's Celtic team:

Boruc, Wilson, Balde, O'Dea, Naylor, Nakamura (Riordan 75), Lennon (Sno 88), Jarosik, McGeady, Miller, Zurawski (Gravesen 75). Subs Not Used: Marshall, Telfer, Pearson, O'Brien.

Miller and Wilson, 2 scots starting. 1 on as a sub.

Rangers Squad:

McGregor, Hutton, Hemdani, Svensson, Smith, Sionko (Rae 79), Ferguson, Clement, Adam, Prso (Sebo 76), Novo (Buffel 84). Subs Not Used: Klos, Papac, Rodriguez, Stanger.

5 Scots stating with 1 on as a sub.

Normally you would also have Boyd starting and prob Burke.

How do the bbc report this?

"Celtic fielded five players from outside the British Isles in their team to play Dunfermline Athletic on Saturday.

Rangers had six foreign players in their line-up to take on Hibernian on Saturday"

FUnny choice of words. Who gives a fuck about the number of brits in the squads. Law's point is about stifling Scottish talent. So the important numbers are 2 and 5. Yet the BBC deliberatley try and make us look like the worst offenders. Very strange.

Fired off the following email:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to complain about the poor journalism presented in the following peice put on your website dated Monday, 11 December 2006:

Law wants more Scots at Old Firm

Rangers' Brahim Hemdani challenges Celtic's Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink

Hemdani and Vennegoor of Hesselink are Old Firm foreigners

Denis Law believes a growing number of foreigners at Celtic and Rangers is stifling home-grown talent.

"That's a long story, but you do wonder, and Scottish football and the Scottish team is suffering," the former Scotland striker told Radio Five Live.

"You don't really know why the Scottish youth has dried up, but in a way you've got to look at them not getting the opportunity and that's the problem."

Law believes the Old Firm should be providing the backbone of the team.

"You look at the Rangers team and the Celtic team, which a good part of the Scottish team was taken from, and basically there are so many foreign players in there that it's got to be very difficult," he said.

Celtic fielded five players from outside the British Isles in their team to play Dunfermline Athletic on Saturday.

Rangers had six foreign players in their line-up to take on Hibernian on Saturday.

Why are the last two paragraphs phrased in such a manner to place a negative emphasis on Rangers. Surely Law's comments relate to the number of Scots in the team. The number of Brits is about as relevant as the number of Europeans or number of Martians to this peice. The important numbers are Rangers fielded 5 Scots to Celtics 2. Yet you have deliberately attempted to make Rangers look like the worst offenders in terms of representation of home grown talent. The numbers you have provided are irrelevant and perhaps you should not let your journalists' own prejudices be reflected in your journalism.

If this kind of poor and obviously bias journalism continues I will be forced to find other news sources for my sporting information.

Yours Sincerely

Chris Gallagher

Bit petty and written in haste but I get tired of this kind of bullshit.

The way they have represented this shows they are obviously pushing an agenda. The number of Brits is so fucking irrelevant to the Scottish national side and this has really made me angry. :mad:

not a bad shout mate!

its laughable! just like on scotsport tonight... asked about the critisism poor wee neily has been getting the 'pundit' and i use the term loosely starts with "if you compare it to when rangers players were critisised for not caring enough..." etc - the question was about two team mates squaring up to each other and whether THAT, done in full view of the media/public should be critisised(and it was a bit meatier than the drogba vs lehmann effort!) not anything about rangers.

its funny how often they can turn a discussion to have a sly dig at rangers. again like suggesting we only got a good result cos hibs were poor. hibs were bad cos we were too good, unlike arguably the previous home game when kilmarnock didnt give us much of a game at all.

i seem to remember it was the old firms fault regarding scottish talent being depraved of a starting block, according to killie, hibs, hearts and dundee, 2 years later and dundee was doing it with there italians, arges, spanish, poles amonst others, fastfoward 3 years later and hearts are doing it.

I also seem to recall the league would be better if the old firm fucked off yet those very same people said if the old firm left the scottish setup the league would die.

Who's at fault now i ask?

I can't see how Rangers are stifling the Scotland team with 7 Scots as first team regulars of which 5 are home grown. If we sign Pressley that could go to 8 and 6 respectively. Even Hibs don't have 5 home grown players in the team anymore.

Also it's a bit rich when you look at the Scottish players Rangers have offered money for, been turned down and then the player leaves six months later for free or a "nominal" fee.

There are load of those but the two recent examples I remember are Webster and Riordan. So the not only have the other SPL teams thwarted Rangers from signing Scots they've also lost money to themselves and Scottish football which then goes abroad.

Another example is SPL teams quoting outrageous sums for players, most recently Hibs are asking 3M each for Brown and Thomson who are 22 and on 1.5K a week. Compare that to us selling a 28 year player in his prime for 1M despite being on 25k a week and buying a young Frenchman equivalent to the Hibs pair for 1.2M.

So I put it to you that it's the other SPL teams that are at fault, but lets blame Rangers anyway.