Transcending supporter factions

http://www.gersnet.co.uk/index.php/latest-news/140-transcending-supporter-factions

I’ve read with interest claims from other blogs about supposed league reconstruction plans and how this would divide fans. Add to this on-going boardroom strife at the club and worries about finances then it’s easy for people to perpetuate any perceived splits in the fan-base. In fact, I’d argue that these are two issues which should unite divided fans and bring together these so-called factions that exist. Surely, we have to start recognising common themes of discontent as opposed to ignoring more pressing challenges in favour of finding differences?

First of all, I’m not convinced that these factions are as prevalent as some people suggest. Sure elements of the online community certainly disagree on a range of issues but that’s not something that concerns me to any great degree. Such disagreement is healthy and absolutely necessary if we’re to progress as a support and club. As long as it’s respectful and constructive then we’ve nothing to fear from differing opinions. Surely that’s much more preferable than a bunch of nodding dogs so I, for one, am glad we have so many talented writers discussing controversial issues.

Unfortunately, it’s not quite as simple as that. Because of these alleged splits, uncertainty has prevailed exacerbated by the situation at the club being far from ideal. Although most Rangers fans would probably be happy with the appointment of Walter Smith as chairman, we’re still not completely sure what he brings to such a role. Yes, the majority acknowledge the stability and experience arguments but as long as we have EGMs in the pipeline, and key investors ready to sell their shares, there’s doubt about just how much even Walter can affect. Indeed, as we’ve seen with the EGM resolution, the institutional investors still wield a fair amount of power. And, in the absence of a united board, anything can happen over the next month or two in that respect.

In addition to that, there are many issues that need to be discussed as well. Claims in the media of only £7-10million of the IPO monies being left are the most worrying. The club did say some of this money may be used for additional working capital but where exactly has it gone? Clearly we’ve seen some refurbishment of the stadium, the purchase of the Edmiston House eye-sore and an expensive independent examination, but that doesn’t account for £15million. Hopefully some detailed annual accounts will help square that circle.

Of course, season ticket renewals will also help form the financial budget for the new season. 38,000 fans purchased last season providing a conservative estimate of around £15million income to last year’s accounts so clearly the club will be hoping for similar yields this summer. However, the Trust and Association seemed to make somewhat of a veiled threat in their statement ahead of last Wednesday’s board meeting so an EGM may hinder renewals. Moreover, while many supporters have suggested have they’ll renew ‘unconditionally’; some have also said they’re have to reconsider if Rangers accept any rumoured fast-track into a newly formed SPFL2. As such, there’s no doubt the club will have to factor all these opinions into any short-term strategies.

With that in mind, Rangers fans need to appreciate the power we do have. Clearly no-one wants to starve the club we love of money via one ultimatum or the other, but why shouldn’t we be pushing for more of a say in how the club is run? With the correct format such lobbying power may have helped avoid the problems of that last two years so it’s a shame a few people want to persist in dividing opinion instead of accepting different viewpoints and using such debate constructively. Again, there’s nothing wrong with disagreement as long as we do push more effectively in the issues we share concern with.

In fact it could be argued that as long as the support struggles to work together, the club will suffer from people looking to take advantage of the division and uncertainty. Last season (and every season actually) no-one can ignore the huge numbers in which the fans rally round the club via season ticket sales. 38,000 for the fourth tier of Scottish football was quite incredible and despite the issues discussed above, I’m confident of similar numbers by the time we kick off in SFL2 or SPFL2 (or even SPFL1?!) next month. Thus instead of us arguing over who writes what blog and what motive they may or may not have, let’s concentrate on the issues that should unite us.

These are the club’s finances and its strategy for the future. For example, we’re all excited about recent signings but how do these players fit into a squad that is already bloated with overpaid talent? Next, what is the situation with the IPO monies and what happens when that money inevitably runs out? And related to that, how do any boardroom changes intend to raise more investment to make the club viable towards (and upon) our return to the top division? These are questions that will not go away so the quicker they’re addressed, the better.

In conclusion, no matter our personal opinion on any individual issue, we all want the best for Rangers Football Club. At some point we have to realise that petty differences between one forum or fan group and the other won’t help achieve that. Ergo, let’s stop the mischief-making and work together to deliver success back to our club (and Scottish football generally). Because, if we can’t do that, how can we expect anything more than dubious people wanting to take advantage of what is often blind faith?

That’s the truth of the situation and each one of us has to ask if we’d rather point-score to prolong issues or work together to solve them. Are we part of the problem or the solution? As long as we can’t answer that valid question, can we really expect the club to answer ours?

Edited by Frankie

I'm afraid there's just too many disagreements where no middle ground seems possible.

Somewhat ironically, I disagree.

There are a range of issues where we should share a common concern. Sure, elements of such issues may mean our initial opinions as to the root cause are slightly different but the goal of suitable answers should be the same.

Somewhat ironically, I disagree.

There are a range of issues where we should share a common concern. Sure, elements of such issues may mean our initial opinions as to the root cause are slightly different but the goal of suitable answers should be the same.

We may all agree about the club needing to move forward etc but there's some fundamental disagreements about what the path for that is. In particular I'm probably referring to the 'Rangers men' or not debate.

We may all agree about the club needing to move forward etc but there's some fundamental disagreements about what the path for that is. In particular I'm probably referring to the 'Rangers men' or not debate.

Sure - I understand and share your concerns there. Which is why I've continually called for them (and anyone else who's supposedly interested in running the club) to outline how they see the club moving forward.

Like I say there are some issues than should be able to transcend hitherto petty boundaries.

Unfortunately I see the disagreements becoming wider and more personal.It is unfortunate that the vast majority of the support have no way of making their concerns and the way they are thinking public. That would be my priority, someone or some grouping outwith the internet community, that the fans as a whole could relate too.

Unfortunately I see the disagreements becoming wider and more personal.It is unfortunate that the vast majority of the support have no way of making their concerns and the way they are thinking public. That would be my priority, someone or some grouping outwith the internet community, that the fans as a whole could relate too.

Fair comment but I don't see why the reasonable majority (online or not) should allow a vocal minority to cause problems in that respect.

Fair comment but I don't see why the reasonable majority (online or not) should allow a vocal minority to cause problems in that respect.

We would need someone with standing to speak out, remember the march to Hampden with Sandy Jardine taking a prominent role.

We would need someone with standing to speak out, remember the march to Hampden with Sandy Jardine taking a prominent role.

Very true. Fans definitely need a focal point.

Things is, the internet community ain't the "mass of the support" and neither is it really a mirror of what the support thinks or will do.

As for the boards and the fan groups as such, IMHO they all wish the best for Rangers FC and are hardly at odds with one another, at least not as it is being made out by the media. What is evident is that while the aim is the same, the wave-length that people want this aim to be achieved with differs. Else, there would not be a quarter dozen such fan groups.