If we sign both Pandza and Moshni...........

Or imagine if someone had wanted Naismith while he was still under contract.

They did. D&P rejected an offer from West Brom.

I agree with you that we should try and tie our best players to long deals, although I don't think it should always be with a mind to selling them on at a premium. We should be looking to hold on to our best players. We shouldn't however be paying though the nose for the privilege. That's where a longer deal can work in our favour. If we're paying a wage that suits both the club and the player then it's not a problem. What is a problem is letting any deals for players we want to keep run down and handing all the power to the player.

Wanyama for instance had a 4 year deal and with more than 2 years remaining. They made moves to extend his deal and when the player refused they played the negotiations out through the press. Come the transfer window they got silly money for him. It's not the first time they've stuck a daft price tag on a player, told the world and ended up getting it. I'm sure it won't be the last either. It's easy to criticise this approach to playing the market, but they're hardly the only big club to do it.

Guest BigSwanley
They did. D&P rejected an offer from West Brom.

I agree with you that we should try and tie our best players to long deals, although I don't think it should always be with a mind to selling them on at a premium. We should be looking to hold on to our best players. We shouldn't however be paying though the nose for the privilege. That's where a longer deal can work in our favour. If we're paying a wage that suits both the club and the player then it's not a problem. What is a problem is letting any deals for players we want to keep run down and handing all the power to the player.

Wanyama for instance had a 4 year deal and with more than 2 years remaining. They made moves to extend his deal and when the player refused they played the negotiations out through the press. Come the transfer window they got silly money for him. It's not the first time they've stuck a daft price tag on a player, told the world and ended up getting it. I'm sure it won't be the last either. It's easy to criticise this approach to playing the market, but they're hardly the only big club to do it.

Surely it is easy to see through their media bullshit? Have they ever actually come clean and been upfront about "fees" they have received, or are they just constantly trying to appear to have got more than we got for Hutton? There is not a chance in hell that they got £12m for the ladyboy, or whatever it was they quoted, and I don't believe they got what they said for Wanyama.

Surely it is easy to see through their media bullshit? Have they ever actually come clean and been upfront about "fees" they have received, or are they just constantly trying to appear to have got more than we got for Hutton? There is not a chance in hell that they got £12m for the ladyboy, or whatever it was they quoted, and I don't believe they got what they said for Wanyama.

Of course it's easy to see through it, but it seems to be working for them. What they're doing isn't actually too dissimilar to what we did with Arteta, Gio and Jelavic. How they go about it as usual lacks class but the principal idea is the same. Buy in foreign players who want to use them as a stepping stone. Get some use out of them and then fuel speculation about them being too good to keep a hold of.

What's in it for the purchasing clubs to keep quiet if the reported fees are grossly exaggerated?

Guest BigSwanley
Of course it's easy to see through it, but it seems to be working for them. What they're doing isn't actually too dissimilar to what we did with Arteta, Gio and Jelavic. How they go about it as usual lacks class but the principal idea is the same. Buy in foreign players who want to use them as a stepping stone. Get some use out of them and then fuel speculation about them being too good to keep a hold of.

What's in it for the purchasing clubs to keep quiet if the reported fees are grossly exaggerated?

What exactly is it that is working for them? Lying about fees and having the complicit Scottish media play along with it? Weren't they caught out recently by Swansea after saying they had got "x" amount for Ki, when Swansea had actually said that their record signing was somebody else and that they paid less for him than Celtc said they got for Ki?

What exactly is it that is working for them? Lying about fees and having the complicit Scottish media play along with it? Weren't they caught out recently by Swansea after saying they had got "x" amount for Ki, when Swansea had actually said that their record signing was somebody else and that they paid less for him than Celtc said they got for Ki?

I don't know what they claimed they got for him tbh. All reports seem to suggest around £6m which as you say is well short of Swansea's recent £12m record signing. That's still a decent profit though.

I'm not suggesting we should conduct our business like they do, but at the same time we shouldn't go out of our way to avoid similar market tactics.

Am I the only one who think we might have a better side than the won we lost at the end of 2011-12 season ??

Other than Davis and Aluko(and Jelavic but he left mid-season) who else would we seriously take back who'd be better than what we'll have after Sept1?

Some may say McGregor but to me he was always prone to the odd blunder, particularly in OF games.

Wonder what Ally McCoist thinks. Or does he still think we're well short of Celtic. Bet there's a few in the boardroom who'll be a bit miffed at that comment especially after all the players he's been allowed to bring in.

not even close no.