If we sign both Pandza and Moshni...........

Am I the only one who think we might have a better side than the won we lost at the end of 2011-12 season ??

Other than Davis and Aluko(and Jelavic but he left mid-season) who else would we seriously take back who'd be better than what we'll have after Sept1?

Some may say McGregor but to me he was always prone to the odd blunder, particularly in OF games.

Wonder what Ally McCoist thinks. Or does he still think we're well short of Celtic. Bet there's a few in the boardroom who'll be a bit miffed at that comment especially after all the players he's been allowed to bring in.

I would say you could add Naismith to those two. I know, traitor #1, but he was good at running off the ball and could give you a good defence-splitting pass. We have Shiels but who knows if he will be consistent and produce his evident abilities. We have MacCleod in midfield but he needs another season or two to really dominate top teams. I think Ally knows this team will need time to gel and is beating the drum for a quality midfielder and a forward who can produce at the top level. We will play a lot better this season than last, but to beat the top teams we need to spend money on quality and I think the board knows that.

no i don't, we have an average spl squad at most that would finish well behind celtic imo.

perhaps a better, more tactically aware manager might get more out the current squad ? sorry to disagree but I really don't think Celtic are anywhere near as good as you're making out

perhaps a better, more tactically aware manager might get more out the current squad ? sorry to disagree but I really don't think Celtic are anywhere near as good as you're making out

yes possibly but unfortunately the majority of our team are still from SPL teams who have failed to show consistency for many years. Doesn't mean it won't come but I just wouldn't have any confidence in this team challenging for a title. If we were still in the SPL and we were signing players like Daly, Foster, Black, Smith, Faure, Cibari etc then I can't say I would be happy. I don't know enough about Pandza or Moshni to know how they would operate at a higher level to pass comment.

yes possibly but unfortunately the majority of our team are still from SPL teams who have failed to show consistency for many years. Doesn't mean it won't come but I just wouldn't have any confidence in this team challenging for a title. If we were still in the SPL and we were signing players like Daly, Foster, Black, Smith, Faure, Cibari etc then I can't say I would be happy. I don't know enough about Pandza or Moshni to know how they would operate at a higher level to pass comment.

As I said earlier from the team we lost both Davis & Aluko would walk into the current side and Barca72 is probably right about Naismith too(unfortunately). But we're not as far away as some would think in my opinion. If we did get Pandza & Moshni then that should be a better CB pairing than we had. If we could add a bit of creative MF quality that might just be all that's needed

Whilst I may disagree we aren't far off the team we lost, it has to be said that acquisitions have been impressive given our status. It would be ideal if when we get back to the top we don't require wholesale changes, just a few players of quality to tip the balance. Things are moving that way and I think next year, when its only one year out from the top, we will see some better players giving us consideration.

I think the left side of the team (Wallace and Templeton) is better than what we previously had but the rest is way off.

Ive yet to see a number of our newer players like Law, Clark and Peralta so after a few games it will be easier to judge.

What I would say is we have a squad on par with a number of SPL sides. And Rab makes an interesting point about if we had better coaches, would we be even better.

We are a fair bit behind Celtic but they aren't as good as made out. They are playing full of confidence knowing they don't have a challenge at the moment. For them its like 6th year school students against 3rd year, that's always going to make things easier. Yet had Inverness and Motherwell been more consistent last season in only 3-4 more games they would have been challenging.

Whilst I may disagree we aren't far off the team we lost, it has to be said that acquisitions have been impressive given our status. It would be ideal if when we get back to the top we don't require wholesale changes, just a few players of quality to tip the balance. Things are moving that way and I think next year, when its only one year out from the top, we will see some better players giving us consideration.

Can't argue with any of that Cotter. We're hopefully moving in the right direction and when the time is right, I'm sure we'll be able to sign the quality we need if finances allow for it.