Gers clash minnowsâ?? £100k KO

A TINY football club is set to lose out on a £100,000 windfall â?? after council chiefs HALVED its stadiumâ??s capacity for a clash against Rangers.

Struggling Stranraer FC was hoping to cash in on a bumper crowd of 6,000 for the League One match on August 17.

But Dumfries and Galloway Council, which owns Stair Park stadium, sparked outrage yesterday by imposing a shock limit of just 2,988 amid health and safety concerns.

Club spokesman Shaun Niven fumed: â??Weâ??re extremely disappointed.

â??The police and fire service were more than happy to allow 6,000 fans â?? I hope we can reach a sensible solution.â?

Bosses are now in talks with other clubs about a possible venue switch.

Fan Jim Hearn blasted: â??Itâ??s crazy. The town is in uproar about it.â?

A council spokesman said officials had advised the club on measures to boost gate numbers. A Rangers spokeswoman added: â??We are aware of ongoing discussions.â?

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/feeds/smartphone/scotland/5041059/Gers-clash-minnows-Stranraer-FC-suffer-100000-KO.html#ixzz2aVtPOa5g

Another club wanting to switch venue to benefit from Scotlands biggest cash cow. We really are something else.

From my understanding of the article, they don't want to switch venues since their own ground is big enough....it's the council that are being eejits and slashing the available capacity, even though the Police etc are happy.

3000 still sounds like a decent capacity. More than one or two clubs had last season IIRC.

I was at Stair Park in season 92-93 for a League Cup game and the crowd was a comfortable 4500.

I always remember the segregation, it said on the ticket "Rangers Fans turn right at the bandstand" :rfcbouncy:

Couple of grainy pics from the night:

AMcCStairPark2_zps2acccc48.jpgMHStairPark_zps0750c6dc.jpg

For those wondering Rangers won 5-0, hat trick for McCoist and a brace from Hateley...

From my understanding of the article, they don't want to switch venues since their own ground is big enough....it's the council that are being eejits and slashing the available capacity, even though the Police etc are happy.

True but not content with such advice they will look at switching if the decision is not over turned. ££££££.

Switching a home ground for a league game smacks of a lack of sporting integrity... It will obviously reduce the chances of an upset.

Seems they need an independent review of their capacity by safety experts.

Is it possible the council are more worried about the numbers of fans in the town rather than in the stadium?

True but not content with such advice they will look at switching if the decision is not over turned. ££££££.

The point is...their own ground is capable of holding 6000 fans. The Council have said only 3000 tickets will be made available. It's not like they are simply looking to move to a larger venue, they simply want to fill their own ground!!!