I see 'shoe-horning' is the new Vogue term on message boards for those always looking for negatives. McCulloch slotted comfortably into Centre Half yesterday, not shoe-horned at all.

He looks comfortable at the back when we're in possession and not being attacked by the opposition, I'll give you that much! When players are attacking our box it's more like... :confused::eek::ohoh:

Regarding the shoe-horned comments, I don't think it's particularly fair to have a go at anyone for using that term if the circumstances are right. The simple fact is that many fans are rightfully confused as to why the manager sees Jig as a central defender. Fair enough in emergency situations when injuries or a red card forces the manager's hand, but to repeatedly play Jig at centre half ahead of more mobile, more experienced and fully fit options for the position is mind-boggling. We're just about getting away with it against 3 tier opponents, but against better opposition there's every chance of Jig being exposed big time in that position.

McAusland has done very well recently.

However, Ally shifted a CB (again who has been doing well), out to RB, and left a recognised RB sitting on the bench.....if he wanted Jig in defence, why not just drop Faure, and play Foster @ RB??? or why not play Foster & Faure in defence, and drop Daly to the bench.

McAusland has benn pretty decent overall. "Outstanding" is people getting carried away as it suits their anti-jig shoehorning argument.

There was a game not too long ago, I forget which, where McAusland was right back and we really struggled with everything coming down their left.

I would have kept McAusland and probably dropped Faure who again has been decent enough but not as fantastic as people make out.

The shoehorn thing does my box in though. Up with the Barry back pass and monster munch chat. The phrase suggests the manager would play LM at left back, right wing, anywhere to get him in the team. In reality the mananger just thinks Lee is one of our best options at centre back who can play upfront too (like DJ or as as happened with many physical centre forwards late in their career).

It is insulting to the manager to use the shoehorn phrase in regards to his selection of Jig at CB. Instead you could merely state that you disagree with his opinion that LM is one of our best CBs. I associate "shoehorn", "Barry back pass" or "monster munch" with a lack of maturity or an inability to make a coherent argument. It is lazy, childish and not conducive of decent debate.

Guest TravelingWilBEARy
He looks comfortable at the back when we're in possession and not being attacked by the opposition, I'll give you that much! When players are attacking our box it's more like... :confused::eek::ohoh:

Regarding the shoe-horned comments, I don't think it's particularly fair to have a go at anyone for using that term if the circumstances are right. The simple fact is that many fans are rightfully confused as to why the manager sees Jig as a central defender. Fair enough in emergency situations when injuries or a red card forces the manager's hand, but to repeatedly play Jig at centre half ahead of more mobile, more experienced and fully fit options for the position is mind-boggling. We're just about getting away with it against 3 tier opponents, but against better opposition there's every chance of Jig being exposed big time in that position.

He slotted relatively comfortably into Centre Back when we were winning titles under Walter as well. Talking about having a go unfairly, some of the comments and outright insults directed at McCulloch I've seen and heard since he signed for us have been outrageous. It seems to stick in some people's craw that he is a fans favourite, particularly among the online community.

He was pretty clearly Rangers best and most inspirational player. He also made a few last ditch challenges which prevented certain goals from Arbroath. I don't know what it is about Jig that inspires such over analysis from people but he was clearly more than comfortable yesterday.

he was comfortable. we were playing arbroath.

he still caused us problems one of which very nearly gave arbroath an early lead.

he simply will not be good enough at ch against any kind of quality opposition. so what do we do wait till he causes a problem and put in some other rusty player who's been on the bench tearing his hair out.

getting away with hin in sfl3 is not a reason to play him.

I see 'shoe-horning' is the new Vogue term on message boards for those always looking for negatives. McCulloch slotted comfortably into Centre Half yesterday, not shoe-horned at all.

He scored a hat trick and won man of the match, for crying out loud.

I actually wasn't talking about players being out of position - rather the manager attempting to force a variety of players into the team as opposed to genuinely sticking by guys. For example, he either has faith in Little up front or he doesn't; the lad certainly isn't a left-winger in any way or form. I've no real issue with McCulloch at centre-half but he's hardly the long term solution so I'd rather we played Faure where possible.

Guest TravelingWilBEARy
he was comfortable. we were playing arbroath.

he still caused us problems one of which very nearly gave arbroath an early lead.

he simply will not be good enough at ch against any kind of quality opposition. so what do we do wait till he causes a problem and put in some other rusty player who's been on the bench tearing his hair out.

getting away with hin in sfl3 is not a reason to play him.

We're more than getting away with it, in fact we've only conceded 2 goals this season - both of them wonder strikes. He slotted in comfortably when we were winning titles and continues to do so at this level. He was clearly our best player yesterday and the main protagonist in yet another comprehensive victory.

Why let the facts get in the way though?

I don't think Lee McCulloch is forced into the team at all. I think that he is McCoist's first pick whenever he is available.

McCoist had the chance to play him in defensive midfield yesterday, which I think would have given Law more opportunity to go forward, but he didn't. This makes me think that McCoist sees him as a first choice centre back who will play up front if Daly is out. Individually I prefer Faure but I'd bet that McCoist will only play an 'inexperienced' pairing when forced to.

The decisions to play Little on the left and Faure on the right were underwhelming but peripheral. I thought that we missed Black and that when he plays Law can go further forward. I think that this is what the big difference was yesterday. Perhaps Peralta should move into the middle in MacLeod's place. This, of course, might upset even more people online.