SPFL Loony Tunes brigade Suggest Sash Bash at Parkhead?

Thought the piece was good but the headline was a bit naff. A "sash bash" sounds more Looney Tunes to me.

Also the capitalisation of the headline was inconsistent which is fine for the forum but doesn't look so good on News Now.

Interestingly, I noticed the difference between professional publications and blogs for headlines is: that all the former don't unnecessarily capitalise words, while all the latter do - as does the official site which makes it look more like an amateur blog.

I work for what is pretty much a publishing house and our rule is not to capitalise except the first word and proper nouns.

Thought the piece was good but the headline was a bit naff. A "sash bash" sounds more Looney Tunes to me.

Also the capitalisation of the headline was inconsistent which is fine for the forum but doesn't look so good on News Now.

Interestingly, I noticed the difference between professional publications and blogs for headlines is: that all the former don't unnecessarily capitalise words, while all the latter do - as does the official site which makes it look more like an amateur blog.

I work for what is pretty much a publishing house and our rule is not to capitalise except the first word and proper nouns.

Must admit, I chop and change when I publish stuff but lately have went for what you suggest.

Pray for Zappa! :cool:

I can't see any reason to make amateur publishing adhere to professional guidelines.

The author wanted a bloody bouncing ball animation jumping across the words in the title, to make it look even crazier, but I told him that was going too far and also probably copyrighted by Pacific Quay.

I can't see any reason to make amateur publishing adhere to professional guidelines.

Maybe not, but when it's very easy to do and makes the article easier to read and look a bit more polished and professional then why not take that step? In fact I'd say the way we've been doing it is more difficult for an amateur to decide when to capitalise and when not to, as you have rules something like:

1. Capitalize all major words: all words 4 letters or more, all verbs, linking verbs, nouns, adjectives, adverbs, and pronouns.
  2. Use lowercase for conjunctions, articles, and short prepositions (3 letters or less).
  3. Capitalize all words four letters or longer.
  4. Capitalize both elements of a hyphenated compound word (i.e., Death-Defying).
  5. Capitalize first word after a colon.

Instead of one rule like this:

1. Only capitalize the first letter of the first word in a heading unless the word is a proper noun or proper name.

I think the capitalisation was useful before we had multiple fonts as it distinguished the heading from the body of text. It's therefore no longer needed and is definitely harder to read and doesn't look as nice.

Each to their own though.