Final Mock AGM Results and Analysis

http://www.gersnet.co.uk/index.php/match-analysis/208-final-mock-agm-results-and-analysis

Within this article, you can find the final results of our mock AGM which concentrated on the meeting resolutions related to the appointment of various directors – both existing and potential. While I’d like to reiterate that the poll was not a serious piece of scientific analysis, the results are nonetheless very interesting.

In many ways, the outcome is actually broadly along the lines I expected – showing uncertainty for elements of the current board and reasonable support for those nominated to join it. However, it’s especially thought provoking to note a lack of genuine support for the new chairman (possibly as a result of an unnecessarily petty ‘open letter’ of earlier this month). If you compare this with the results for Graham Wallace (whose comments have been much more measured) then it does show how important it is to retain a positive outlook in the media. By way of balance, there appears to be a distinct lack of backing for previous chairman Malcolm Murray with four out of ten voters unimpressed with his nomination. Was it a mistake to offer himself back up for election?

Generally though, the incumbents have a lack of obvious support from our voters with Brian Stockbridge especially having only one in ten people able to vote in favour of his reappointment as Finance Director. Even the so-far anonymous Norman Crighton struggles to poll convincingly as voters remain undecided on his contribution.

On the other hand, the requisitioners appear to have a solid base to approach Thursday’s AGM with most of their nominations having clear backing from the 1300-1500 total voters. It certainly appears that many fans appreciated their efforts to communicate directly with them in Glasgow last month. That has resulted in around three quarters of voters supporting Paul Murray, Scott Murdoch and Alex Wilson’s nominations. It should also be noted that a similar private poll of RST members has results consonant with this open one, though even more in favour of boardroom change. Thus, I think it’s fair to say many Rangers fans remain cynical about those in charge of the club. However, clearly a fair number of people appear less than enthused about Murray et al.

Of course, while these polls are worth exploring, fans only make up for around 12% of the whole when it comes to the actual AGM vote with institutional and major individual investors holding the real power for Thursday’s vote. Indeed, yesterday’s Times suggested this was a foregone conclusion with the existing regime likely to be supported by the majority; although the article was unclear with respect to specific nominees so some change may still happen.

Whatever does transpire it’s clear from this poll and recent protests that large numbers of Rangers fans (and indeed investors) remain far from convinced the club is being run well enough to secure its future. That should be worthy of serious consideration by all and I’m glad this AGM is being belatedly held to ensure some democratic process in that sense. However, this also means, no matter the result, the club needs some respite going forward to consolidate its position.

With that in mind, I think it’s reliant on all involved to consider a minimum three month moratorium on the issue of boardroom change. For example, we’re told that April will be a low point in the club’s finances so any attempt to destabilise the club further ahead of this period would be extremely detrimental to its future viability. Tacit threats of non-engagement such as boycotts of merchandise and/or season tickets are unlikely to be widely supported so should not be made lightly. Instead, the fan groups discussing such actions would be much better served concentrating on how they can lobby more effectively rather than considering suicidal scare tactics. There’s no doubt genuine change in our supporters organisations is as desperately needed as anything else.

On the other hand, neither should any moratorium be seen as an opportunity for the club to continue to hide from its responsibilities. No matter how the board is constituted after Thursday, all involved have to openly discuss the club’s short, medium and long-term future with the fans and potential investors. Both Paul Murray and Sandy Easdale claim they have finance ready to be invested once stability is achieved but how can fans/investors be assured they’re not throwing good money after bad with the share price already halved from last year’s IPO?

All in all, lots of rhetoric and spin aside, I don’t know any Rangers fan not concerned about the club’s future. It doesn’t matter if you want to give the Somers administration support or want Paul Murray to ‘cleanse’ the club; fans just want the chance to talk about football again. Indeed, apathy and fatigue may actually present the biggest barrier to all going forward – the team may be winning on the park but unless we see a dramatic change in the way the club approaches a range of issues, we may just be stumbling towards mediocrity instead of climbing purposely back to the pinnacle of the Scottish game.

In that sense, Thursday’s AGM may provide some short term relief from all the pain of the last few months but the only way the club (and the fans) can really move forward is via leadership, communication and mutual trust. Can we construct a recognisable path forward in 2014 or will we continue to dig our own grave?

Mock AGM Results

Somers

1417 votes cast

Yes 20%

No 75%

Undecided 5%

Wallace

1370 votes cast

Yes 62%

No 16%

Undecided 22%

Stockbridge

1413 votes cast

Yes 12%

No 86%

Undecided 2%

Crighton

1347 votes cast

Yes 18%

No 40%

Undecided 42%

Easdale

1203 votes cast

Yes 21%

No 72%

Undecided 7%

P Murray

1373 votes cast

Yes 71%

No 27%

Undecided 3%

M Murray

1361 votes cast

Yes 59%

No 34%

Undecided 7%

Murdoch

1338 votes cast

Yes 76%

No 17%

Undecided 7%

Wilson

1331 votes cast

Yes 76%

No 17%

Undecided 7%

What 12% of muppets voted to keep Stockbridge?

To be fair, the vote was open to all so we can expect an element on timpostery. Even so, there's definitely some fans out there who'd back all elements of the current regime so we should respect their opinion.

What 12% of muppets voted to keep Stockbridge?

To be fair, the vote was open to all so we can expect an element on timpostery. Even so, there's definitely some fans out there who'd back all elements of the current regime so we should respect their opinion.

Even when trying to be balanced and fair it's extremely difficult to respect the opinion of any fellow fans who will vote for Stockbridge to be reinstated.

Btw Frankie, you mention the figure of 12% in respect of how many votes the fans will have, but that was the figure before Ally reportedly handed over approx' 1.5% to the fans, which would bump the total up to about 13.5%.

How long will it be before a low count poster appears and accuses Frankie of rigging the vote in favour of his own agenda?

Haha - I'd hope the analysis of the results would preclude that but knowing a few folk's opinions of my supposed 'two faces' you might not have to wait long. :(

Even when trying to be balanced and fair it's extremely difficult to respect the opinion of any fellow fans who will vote for Stockbridge to be reinstated.

Btw Frankie, you mention the figure of 12% in respect of how many votes the fans will have, but that was the figure before Ally reportedly handed over approx' 1.5% to the fans, which would bump the total up to about 13.5%.

Sure, I can't understand why anyone would vote for him but that's up to them.

As for the fan vote, I decided to stick with 12% because, like you say, as much as the reports about Ally's proxy are probably true, they are just reports for now. Not to mention the fact I'd imagine a fair section of that 12-13.5% won't vote in any case.

How long will it be before a low count poster appears and accuses Frankie of rigging the vote in favour of his own agenda?

Anyone who seriously suggested such a thing about Frankie would just instantly look like an idiot who shouldn't be allowed to play with computers or electronic communication devices.

Sure, I can't understand why anyone would vote for him but that's up to them.

Incredibly, there's actually Rangers fans out there who've voted for Stockbridge purely on the basis that they want to oppose the requisitioners, or as they would call them... the "rebels", "rebs", "rhebels", "rhebs" [enter lengthy list of expletives and vitriol]

As for the fan vote, I decided to stick with 12% because, like you say, as much as the reports about Ally's proxy are probably true, they are just reports for now. Not to mention the fact I'd imagine a fair section of that 12-13.5% won't vote in any case.

That last sentence is a good point actually because there's no way all of the small shareholders will actually vote. As with polling in national politics, a certain percentage of voters will think their vote won't make a difference and just not bother.