EXCLUSIVE: £50m! That’s how much King says it will take to rebuild Rangers — and he’ll put up lion’s share

Dave King has revealed he is ready to spearhead a £50million plan to rebuild Rangers with at least £30m of his own money.

The South Africa-based businessman believes it could take that sum spread over the next four years to make the Ibrox club genuine competitors to Celtic at the top of the Scottish game once more.

Despite losing a £20m investment made during Sir David Murray’s tenure, King is willing to take on the burden of the funding. And he wants it to start with a £5m war chest for Ally McCoist to ensure Rangers win the Championship and are ready for top-flight football.

The 58-year-old has given the current Ibrox board until the middle of next month to come up with a credible plan to restore the club at the end of chief executive Graham Wallace’s 120-day business review.

That outcome is key to what happens next – and whether a proposal for supporters to withhold season-ticket money in a trust account is pressed into action.

King’s desire is to lead a new share issue that would see him acquire a position of significant boardroom influence, with other wealthy fans also investing substantially.

And he has now detailed the huge amount he is prepared to remove from his family fortune - in the knowledge he may not see a penny of it back.

‘My view of what it will take to make Rangers competitive again is bottom end £30m but probably £50m — over the next four years,’ King told Sportsmail.

‘From the discussions I have to date I think there are other people who would come with me.

‘But I would say I would probably have to put in £30m of the £50m over the period of time. And I could probably get other people to put in £20m.

‘Would I be willing to invest £30m despite what happened previously? Of course. Sure.’

King’s public statement of intent piles further pressure on the board ahead of Wallace revealing the long-awaited results of his review.

The Castlemilk-raised entrepreneur believes a share issue should be part of the plan and insists it should take place this summer.

McCoist is currently waiting to discover whether he will be able to strengthen his squad for a tilt at the Championship, but King is adamant the manager needs significant financial help.

‘It (a share issue) is going to have to happen at the beginning of next season,’ he continued. ‘As things stand at the moment with the club, and from the terms of the money that has been borrowed from Laxey Partners, it’s clear there is financial distress.

‘You have to invest quite a bit in the current squad ahead of getting to the top division. That would be in the hope it could be a relatively seamless process.

‘I would think Ally needs a minimum of £5m for next season. No disrespect to the current squad, they have won League One by a mile and done very well. But that squad might not win the league next year. Hearts might be there and other strong clubs.

‘If we want it to be a seamless process to make sure we not only win next year but have a squad that can begin to compete, then I think Ally needs a minimum of £5m in wages and then a very big chunk the following year to compete with Celtic.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2588429/Dave-King-commit-30m-ensure-Rangers-return-Scottish-Premiership.html#ixzz2wvUtuM76

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

That doesnt wash ian as he has had plenty to say about other non performers in the rangers set up. My fear is ally is going to slip under the radar in all the hoo ha going on and we will be stuck with him on an extended contract. Also why should he not be "under pressure"? A statement that if he invests he will overhaul every dept top to bottom including playing side would be start. If ally cant handle that pressure then he is the wrong guy

That doesnt wash ian as he has had plenty to say about other non performers in the rangers set up. My fear is ally is going to slip under the radar in all the hoo ha going on and we will be stuck with him on an extended contract. Also why should he not be "under pressure"? A statement that if he invests he will overhaul every dept top to bottom including playing side would be start. If ally cant handle that pressure then he is the wrong guy

Read his statement!,he does talk about giving Ally cash

5 million for McCoist to spunk next season, no thanks.

Is that the best you can come up with?, is not more important the club gets rescued first and foremost?,or is this just going to turn into yet another Ally bashing thread?.