Boss Hopeful On Injuries

Wednesday, 16 April 2014 13:00

Boss Hopeful On Injuries

Written by Andrew Dickson

b963166b7f1c8e623e9054fb5f848aba_XL.jpg

ALLY McCOIST is hopeful of being able to call on some different faces at Stenhousemuir on Saturday as recently-injured players and under-20 squad members become available again.

The manager went into last night’s game against Forfar without Lewis Macleod, Andy Little, Cammy Bell, David Templeton and Lee Wallace.

Of those, there’s a chance Bell and Little could return to the fold at Ochilview but the other three will definitely miss out.

McCoist also omitted his youngsters yesterday because of the fixtures they have to fulfil at their own level.

Gordon Durie’s team played 120 minutes on Sunday in energy-sapping conditions against St Mirren in the SFA Youth Cup and hosts Partick tonight in the SPFL Under-20 League.

But with a free weekend ahead for them, there will be the opportunity to bring selected emerging talents into the first-team pool once more.

That means the likes of Calum Gallagher, now with five senior outings under his belt, and Charlie Telfer – a regular substitute in 2014 – could feature against the Warriors.

McCoist said: “I would hope we’ll bring some people back again. We don’t seem to get an injury where someone returns after one game out.

“I’d be really hopeful a couple of the boys can get themselves fit and turn up for their work against Stenny, who will make it really tough for us.

“The ideal situation is we’ve a healthy squad to pick from and nothing annoys me more than a busy treatment room. We want to avoid that at all costs.”

One other concern for McCoist is the fitness of Arnold Peralta, who had to go off against Forfar yesterday with a hamstring strain.

The Honduran international is being assessed today at Murray Park and the manager is hoping the issue isn’t too serious.

McCoist added: “The last thing we need is more injury problems. I read somewhere we have 57 players but I’ll need to have a good look to see where they are.

“Arnold, Andy and Lee are all good, good players for us but we’ve got injuries all over the place. It’s like a hole in the head.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/6782-boss-hopeful-on-injuries

i think theres some value in this in fairness.

they have a chance of a double.

Exactly. I was hoping we might see the likes of Telfer getting a game last night along with Gallagher and Gasparotto, but I hadn't realised that the U20 team were playing tonight.

Fair enough, if the ambition is to become a successful under-20 side.

The lad in the thread the other day about our youth policy was slating us for focusing on the first team - but what else is the rationale for being a full time professional sports club? Every team below the first exists to provide players for that top team and for that reason only.

Our season is over after the last 2 games. He should have utilised the squad when it mattered.

Yes going unbeaten in the league is something to play for but once the title was wrapped up a few key players should have been rested while bringing 1 or 2 of the U20s in for experience.

It has to be said Ally is failing on many levels.