This latest failure, what's the players' part in it all?

Thought I'd create a few threads for us to chat about the various issues that have clearly all added up to mean we're looking at another trophy-less season (although there's still the UEFA cup).

How about we use this one to discuss the players' role in all of this? Are they good enough? Have they underachieved or are they just simply not up the standard required to challenge for the SPL title?

The players ultimately take the responsibility as once they are on the pitch, there is little the manager, coaches etc can do.

As for our current squad, some are not good enough, that is obvious. Some look like they could be good enough but they are either not giving 100% or being coached incoorectly. Some are good enough but aren't good enough to carry the rest of the team.

The worrying trend for me is that this team / squad have the same failings as AM's - they can not defend, can not take advantage of set-pieces and can't kill teams off. I may have been hoping for too much, but in PLG I thought that we had a coach who could have identified and fixed these traites. He didn't / couldn't.

Cammy F

The players ultimately take the responsibility as once they are on the pitch, there is little the manager, coaches etc can do.

As for our current squad, some are not good enough, that is obvious. Some look like they could be good enough but they are either not giving 100% or being coached incoorectly. Some are good enough but aren't good enough to carry the rest of the team.

The worrying trend for me is that this team / squad have the same failings as AM's - they can not defend, can not take advantage of set-pieces and can't kill teams off. I may have been hoping for too much, but in PLG I thought that we had a coach who could have identified and fixed these traites. He didn't / couldn't.

Cammy F

Agree with you Cammy,this season we have been making the same basic errors as last season.

Cammy F

I agree Cammy and PLG does need to take some of that responsibility but at the same time I don't think he had enough time.

However, I will leave that for the PLG thread.

The players, almost to a man, should go to their fancy homes this evening and take a long hard look in the mirror and ask themselves if they gave everything for their employers today and I doubt many of them can say they did.

It matters not whether the manager puts out the wrong tactics and it matters not that we were managerless. The simple fact is that I reckon even I would be able to take our squad and put a team on the pitch that should beat DAFC with given them little to no instructions.

Tactics did not defeat us today - what beat us today was a lack of application, determination, will to win for 50 minutes - and that is something you get from professional pride - it cannot be taught.

In all seriousness, it is still my opinion that BF is the ONLY player that we have that is 'good enough' to play for Rangers. Now, not getting into another debate about the merits of him being in the team, that means the new management team require to find 10 replacements before the start of next season (and that doesn't take into account the time required for them to 'gell'). If BF goes, that makes an entire new team required.

Now, having seen some of the reserve games at the beginning of the season, IMO there is NOTHING there at the moment that would help the first team squad. They may have improved since the last time I saw them, but probably not.

Can WS, Stuart McCall and Ally McCoist turn the current squad into a decent team? IMO, yes they can, but it depends on what you would class a 'decent team'. The best they will get IMO is to run Craptic close in the league (win it a few times) and win a few trophies. They will make us hard to beat, but not the most attractive team to watch. Basically, they will be Rangers under AM (so hardly a step forward).

It all depends on the transfer budget given to them, or any other management team. We must bevelop a 'spine' to our team just as Souness did when he took over. He bought (over a few seasons) Woods, Butcher, Wilkins and Hateley - what a spine of a team that was.

WS will attempt and possibley get (over a few seasons) - Gordon (any better than McGregor?), Webster, Rino and Boyd / O'Connor. Add a few other Scottish players like Brown, Thomson or Hartley (we won't get both), Neilson (is he any better than Mutton?), Quasie and maybe we'll unearth a few foriegn diamonds.

IMO, for us to become successful domestically, we have to hope for a fall in standards from our rivals rather than seeing an significant improvement from ourselves.

Oh and if that isn't bleak enough, I still think we'll get worse before we get better.

Do you think this team would win the SPL?

McGregor

Hutton/Neilson

Webster

Svensson

Smith

Rino

Fergie

Brown

Hartley

Boyd

Novo/Prso

EDIT - actually, it may have a chance if coached correctly

Cammy F

Ferguson and a fit Prso are the only two quality players we have at the moment. A couple of the younger lads are showing potential, but you can't put together a successful team based on that.

Thing is, Smith is now in a similar position to PLG in that he's going to have to be brutally honest and rebuild this team from the ground up. The problem for Smith is that he's not got much time to do this as he's also got to get 2nd place in order to get the CL for us.

If DM gives Smith a reasonable amount of cash to spend, then I think some players will be in for a shock and will find themselves out the door.

Ferguson and a fit Prso are the only two quality players we have at the moment. A couple of the younger lads are showing potential, but you can't put together a successful team based on that.

Thing is, Smith is now in a similar position to PLG in that he's going to have to be brutally honest and rebuild this team from the ground up. The problem for Smith is that he's not got much time to do this as he's also got to get 2nd place in order to get the CL for us.

If DM gives Smith a reasonable amount of cash to spend, then I think some players will be in for a shock and will find themselves out the door.

no chance of money for smith mibby 2 mill tops and scott brown/kevin thompson

no chance of money for smith mibby 2 mill tops and scott brown/kevin thompson

He also has the option of selling Fergie. On the radio it said Aston Villa were ready to pay 4 mill for him. Bring in Thomson, Brown and Hartley and you have three for one and maybe even hold a few bob over for say Gow who would cost 100.000.

I sincerely hope we do not buy Hartley and Neilson.

Gordon is another matter all together.

As for the current crop of players , I cant believe they are still turning in performances of this ilk , someone should give them all a swift boot up the erse