The drinking culture within Ibrox

Guest carter001

How is my head in the sand? At least explain your insult and give some points why you think it is appropriate - you've made absolutely no relevant points at all.

Since when is stopping players drinking more important than players performing well on the pitch? I rather have a bunch of drunks that win the league and do well in the CL (like in 92/93) than a bunch of non-drinkers who can't even get into a team that loses to almost every team in the bottom half of the table and gets put out of both cups at the first attempt (like Le Guen's imports).

If you think not drinking is more important than playing well then I've completely lost you!

If drinking reduces performance then it should be tackled but where is your evidence of this when all our best players are the ones accused of drinking?

I think that points to the fact that there are more significant causes of our bad performances that obviously need to be tackled first. If your heating isn't working you don't play around with the thermostat while you have a big leak in the pipes.

I think you need to think about what football is ultimately about - winning, not sobriety.

I agree with much of what you are saying calscot but just because the "drinkers" are playing better than the "non-drinkers" doesn't negate the fact that these guys get paid copius amounts of cash to be professionals.

How long in your job would you be if you consistently turned up for work drunk or in no fit state to do the job at hand ? Not long I would imagine. No different to these guys.

But just as importantly is that, if they remain sober and act like proper professionals, you probably get better performances from them.

Just because the "drinkers" have been the better performers doesn't mean that they are doing well, or at least as well as could be expected of Rangers players. As you yourself suggest, the league table doesn't lie and that makes us a very poor second to Celtic - should these players be drinking ? I don't think so as they are paid for being professional and as athletes sobriety makes you more of a well-oiled machine. Is our distance behind Celtic a result of lack of sobriety ? Who knows. But we have lacked stamina later in games and that COULD be attributed to lack of professionalism in training (note COULD), but also could be a plethora of other things.

I guess what I am saying is that whether they are the better performers or not there is every chance even they could be playing better if applying themselves better on the training pitch.

I know your argument about the 92/93 CL run and the team that drinks together etc - however, that was 15 years ago, football has moved on even since then and players are more professional, more conscientious with diets etc - we CANNOT remain in the dark ages in Scotland or we will never progress.

However, as calscot says, there are more pressing problems at the club than the drinkers vs non-drinkers issue.

Has there been reports on some player(s) turning up for training drunk or something?

That's the impression i get reading through this thread but i never heard anything of it.

Pretty much agree with what's being said by most, they are professionals who are getting paid thousands of pounds every week to perform to their highest level. I

If they are drinking too much and it is showing in their playing abilities or fitness then they should be shown the door asap.

Has there been reports on some player(s) turning up for training drunk or something?

That's the impression i get reading through this thread but i never heard anything of it.

Pretty much agree with what's being said by most, they are professionals who are getting paid thousands of pounds every week to perform to their highest level. I

If they are drinking too much and it is showing in their playing abilities or fitness then they should be shown the door asap.

There have been RUMOURS Chris, mostly from PLG's side.

There have been RUMOURS Chris, mostly from PLG's side.

That probably means they were out on the Saturday night and still a bit bleary-eyed by the Monday or something. :D

Still it is a bit concerning.

But i have no doubt that if that did happen, PLG would have put the player through their paces as much (maybe more) as if they hadnt come into training in that state.

I think PLG is the kind of man to push a player like that in training when he feels the player isnt giving the correct amount of respect for their team.

WS will just rip the player a new one.:thup::D