The drinking culture within Ibrox

Guest carter001

They obviously had the Quality within Scotland Craig but what could we have done in Europe if these players had stuck to the same practices and diets as the teams on the continent. We will never know.:sigh:

Fair point Pete.

I would, however, right now take winning the SPL with European mediocrity.

I can't believe this day in age drinking is still a problem with proffesional footballers. Have they not all learned their lesson by now. Barry Ferguson of all people should just look to his brother to see what can happen when you mix bevvying with football.

FFS these guys have the best job in the world, get paid top dollar for it and are prepaired to risk it all for a few bevvy sessions. Most of them will have hung up their boots by 35, they will have approx 35+years to get steaming after they retire.

I think its more of a case of being in the society of binge drinking and how the players are drinking.

You look back to the 70s, 80s and even 90s (with the 9IAR team) and you hear the likes of Andy Gray and Gordon McQueen talk all the time about these days when they would be in the pub have a pint and a game of cards at lunch time. But come 3pm on a sat they would be ready to role up there sleaves.

A pint at lunch time would probably do no harm but its the guys who are out clubbing until 2am and lapping up the attention that need sorted out.

I remember Laudrup saying when he came to club, he went for lunch and all the guys were having a pint and he felt left out as he want drinking. He said abroad its the guy who has the beer who looks left out. But those 9IAR players gave everything for the team and had success.

So IMO its down to the manner of drinking.

The worst thing is the example it gives to the young players.

Efforts being made to keep the likes of John Fleck on the straight and narrow are undermined by last weeks events.

What kind of example was our ex-captain giving- He was passionate, shouted alot with little result, played well but ultimatelyis a poor professional.

My uncle played pro-football in the 40�´s and 50�´s (Allan Brown)

He was with East Fife, then was transferred to Blackpool (of Stanley Mathews) for 28,000. He went to the WC of 54 with Scotland.

He never drank alcohol, he always told me that a professional career is short and you must take care of your body and make the most of the good luck that you had in being a footballer.

I think it's being totally over played. If Bazza's drinking is so unprofessional, how come he plays the sober foreigners like Sionko, Clement, Sebo, N'Diaye, and Papac off the park? How come Boyd scores all the time while Sebo, Buffel and Novo don't? Sounds like big Dado is a partier too but he also puts in a great shift.

Maybe it needs to be tackled eventually. But I think getting our new players to play to the standard of our drunken Scots would be a bigger priority.

You can blame drink when our best players are the drinkers.

What you need to do is get the non drinkers playing better than the drinkers and so pick them first. You can then tell players they'll only get back in the team if they quit excessive drinking and get to the standard of the non drinkers.

Without non-drinkers playing better than drinker then this excuse is logically absurd.

I think it's being totally over played. If Bazza's drinking is so unprofessional, how come he plays the sober foreigners like Sionko, Clement, Sebo, N'Diaye, and Papac off the park? How come Boyd scores all the time while Sebo, Buffel and Novo don't? Sounds like big Dado is a partier too but he also puts in a great shift.

Maybe it needs to be tackled eventually. But I think getting our new players to play to the standard of our drunken Scots would be a bigger priority.

What you need to do is get the non drinkers playing better than the drinkers and so pick them first. You can then tell players they'll only get back in the team if they quit excessive drinking and get to the standard of the non drinkers.

Without non-drinkers playing better than drinker then this excuse is logically absurd.

Is that the same sort of reasoning as:

30% of all car accidents are caused by drunk drivers.

That means 70% are caused by sober people.

So lets all get sloshed before driving.:rolleyes:

Surely playing to the best of your ability must come in there somewhere. If you are drinking excessively then you are not playing to the to best of your ability as we saw with Fernando Ricksen in the season he was off the drink

Talk about sticking your head in the sand...

You say

"Maybe it needs to be tackled eventually.",...........No mate, it needs tackled NOW.

But don�´t worry it won�´t be, we�´re going backwards...

But remember you gotta take what goes with it, no seriously ambitious footballer will come to Rangers, unless he�´s only interested in money, and when it�´s only money it isn�´t good for the team.

Thing is though, even I know that drinking and training don't really go together and I'm anything but an athlete. If I start training for a marathon, the drinking goes out the window apart from the odd one here and there. Its not rocket science and if I know what the benefits are, then you can bet that professional footballers and coaches know the pros and cons. The Scottish players have also been getting slated for their diets - again, its basic stuff. No wonder PLG was pissed off with them.

These guys are supposed to be professional footballers ffs. They're getting paid a ridiculous amount of cash and have a short career ahead of them. How fucking stupid are they exactly?

Talk about sticking your head in the sand...

You say

"Maybe it needs to be tackled eventually.",...........No mate, it needs tackled NOW.

But don�´t worry it won�´t be, we�´re going backwards...

But remember you gotta take what goes with it, no seriously ambitious footballer will come to Rangers, unless he�´s only interested in money, and when it�´s only money it isn�´t good for the team.

How is my head in the sand? At least explain your insult and give some points why you think it is appropriate - you've made absolutely no relevant points at all.

Since when is stopping players drinking more important than players performing well on the pitch? I rather have a bunch of drunks that win the league and do well in the CL (like in 92/93) than a bunch of non-drinkers who can't even get into a team that loses to almost every team in the bottom half of the table and gets put out of both cups at the first attempt (like Le Guen's imports).

If you think not drinking is more important than playing well then I've completely lost you!

If drinking reduces performance then it should be tackled but where is your evidence of this when all our best players are the ones accused of drinking?

I think that points to the fact that there are more significant causes of our bad performances that obviously need to be tackled first. If your heating isn't working you don't play around with the thermostat while you have a big leak in the pipes.

I think you need to think about what football is ultimately about - winning, not sobriety.

How is my head in the sand? At least explain your insult and give some points why you think it is appropriate - you've made absolutely no relevant points at all.

Since when is stopping players drinking more important than players performing well on the pitch? I rather have a bunch of drunks that win the league and do well in the CL (like in 92/93) than a bunch of non-drinkers who can't even get into a team that loses to almost every team in the bottom half of the table and gets put out of both cups at the first attempt (like Le Guen's imports).

If you think not drinking is more important than playing well then I've completely lost you!

If drinking reduces performance then it should be tackled but where is your evidence of this when all our best players are the ones accused of drinking?

I think that points to the fact that there are more significant causes of our bad performances that obviously need to be tackled first. If your heating isn't working you don't play around with the thermostat while you have a big leak in the pipes.

I think you need to think about what football is ultimately about - winning, not sobriety.

didn�´t mean it as an insult mate, sorry

We�´ll have to agree to disagree on the subject