How far behind mhanks are we - on and off the field

Guest Thenorthlondonblue

Guest Thenorthlondonblue

I am very unhappy that a very average mhanks team is so far ahead of us both on and off the pitch.

Despite the fact that we are considerably behind them on the pitch, I am concerned that they also are pulling in about �£30 million more than us a season.

We have lost potentially 5 or 6 games worth of revenue by being knocked out of both cups early, and I imagine that a fair few non season ticket holders will not be rushing out to buy tickets given the dross on the park at present.

Murray needs to give the manger/s some �£�£�£ and fast, otherwise I could see us finishing outside top 2 which would be unthinkable :mad:

I am very unhappy that a very average mhanks team is so far ahead of us both on and off the pitch.
- very average???? They are romping the SPL (only lost one game so far) and have qualified for the last 16 of the CL - something they haven't doen in many a year.

Despite the fact that we are considerably behind them on the pitch, I am concerned that they also are pulling in about �£30 million more than us a season.

We have lost potentially 5 or 6 games worth of revenue by being knocked out of both cups early, and I imagine that a fair few non season ticket holders will not be rushing out to buy tickets given the dross on the park at present.

Murray needs to give the manger/s some �£�£�£ and fast, otherwise I could see us finishing outside top 2 which would be unthinkable :mad:

Yip, they are getting stronger and stronger off and on the field as we get weaker and weaker. Another failure to reach the CL next season for us is unthinkable, but a very very very realistic nightmare.

Cammy F

- very average???? They are romping the SPL (only lost one game so far) and have qualified for the last 16 of the CL - something they haven't doen in many a year.

Yip, they are getting stronger and stronger off and on the field as we get weaker and weaker. Another failure to reach the CL next season for us is unthinkable, but a very very very realistic nightmare.

Cammy F

Cammy, we reached the last 16 with what can only be discribed as a very poor team. The present Mhank team is better, but it is still a poor team.

I would be hard pushed to agree that Celtic are a poor team. They may not be world beaters but they have many qualities that have given them such a lead in the SPL and qualification in the CL.

If they are so bad how come they are so far ahead of the strongest Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen for years (apart from the fact they take points off each other)?

I think some people are only looking at one or two specific qualities in a team when there are many that produce results.

You could have a team full of Ronaldinho's but they could be powder puff, not play together well, be prima donnas and have no fight when they go one or two down.

Celtic have some average players but Strachan has them playing as a unit with great belief and high motivation. They are very organised and never believe they will get beat. They come back from behind time and again or against us they open the scoring against the run of play.

They have put together this team with not much more spending than we have, it's just they don't spend all their money on players who don't play then pay offs when we can't get rid of them. So they have been spending money far more efficiently than us with not too many donkeys in their squad.

In fact they have signed a couple of dodgy players like Caldwell and turned them into half decent players - and in this example they have taken the likes of Telfer, Caldwell, McManus and Naylor and turned them into the best defence in Scotland by miles and even with Balde in for Calwell and gifting chances, they can still get a clean sheet against Man U. That is an achievement.

They are a model that we should be trying to emulate until we find a better way than them for doing things.

We had technically better players under Advocaat but didn't do any better than this Celtic team with arguably poorer SPL opposition.

Celtic may not be individually the most technically gifted bunch of players but they have other attributes which truly raise their level.

I think what some people are doing is looking at their team and thinking "I don't fancy any of those". However, they are 17 points ahead of our squad just after Christmas and also in the last 16 of the CL... If you're objective you would be daft not take all of them along with Strachan and their points in an instant (although Lennon and McGeedy might stick in your throat).

As they say, the league table doesn't lie - and while that's not completely true, there is a pretty good correlation.

Cammy, we reached the last 16 with what can only be discribed as a very poor team. The present Mhank team is better, but it is still a poor team.

We had players playing out of their skins along with a load of luck and it was in a group where we had a top team who couldn't really be bothered, a great team who had become crap in Europe overnight and one of the poorest teams in the CL.

We qualified with 7 points and one lucky win and basically were good at getting a draw.

Celtic haven't been much better but have shown they can beat teams at home while they can't travel. But they have needed a lot less luck and favourable results than us. However, they are improving and you wouldn't be surprised if they did it again next year.

Objectively I think you need to qualify multiple times before you can really say a team is any good in the CL. I think any old team can get to the last 16 once on the back of some good form and lucky results, it's not exactly winning anything - not even the group...

To get real respect in the CL you have to qualify for the quarters multiple times - which is what Lyon have done.

There is no doubt Celtic are strides ahead of us on the park at the moment but its purely down to getting the basics right. They play a 4-4-2 or a 4-4-1-1 and each player is comfortable with there job and in the right position. They also play more as a team.

Until Pressley came id say there defence was shaky but he has brought steel to it. They are solid in midfield and have players scoring from all positions, again something we dont have.

There strikers arent even firing in all cyclinders aswell but they are still crusing.

I think Walter will come in and steady our ship. But its too late this season. I think Celtic may also get a bit of a scare with WS and Ally coming as they know Rangers will install fight again, and Walter was the master at beating celtic home and away.

Celtic have been reliant on team spirit and a core of experienced players for the last 4 years or so I think. During that time there's not been many players I'd look at and wish they were playing for us. But MON and now Strachan has had them playing as a team which has made all the difference. MON also realised that in the SPL, if things aren't going well, just resort to the long ball game. That's why Celtic signed a couple of big guys at the back and the front. Hardly a genius bit of management, but its worked for them.

I still think Celtic are average at the moment, but with the money coming in from CL each year and their willingness to reinvest, I think they could stretch the gap even more between us and them on the pitch. This transfer window is vital for us. Leaving team rebuilding until the summer is simply not going to work, we need to have a core of a team in place now so that we can hit the ground running next season.

Celtic have been reliant on team spirit and a core of experienced players for the last 4 years or so I think. During that time there's not been many players I'd look at and wish they were playing for us. But MON and now Strachan has had them playing as a team which has made all the difference. MON also realised that in the SPL, if things aren't going well, just resort to the long ball game. That's why Celtic signed a couple of big guys at the back and the front. Hardly a genius bit of management, but its worked for them.

I still think Celtic are average at the moment, but with the money coming in from CL each year and their willingness to reinvest, I think they could stretch the gap even more between us and them on the pitch. This transfer window is vital for us. Leaving team rebuilding until the summer is simply not going to work, we need to have a core of a team in place now so that we can hit the ground running next season.

But we need a Manager to buy players.... and we don't have one. What we do have are players in abundance who do not try a f*cking ounce.... until they are three down that is!