Ah, the good old "pub teams" argument. Never played for one but played against plenty for my work team. The last year I played we finished runners up in both the league and cup. Seems from that evidence like I could have been a pretty good professional in the lower Scottish leagues even though I wasn't one of the more talented players - but in reality I know that's not even a minute possibility in this universe.

This is an argument that just starts off with zero credibility.

There are scarcely any decent players in the SPL in Scotland, let alone in the third tier where the players aren't even professional.

Maybe you should devise this plan and send to all the lower league clubs in Scotland and see who takes you up on it. Take 120 days over it as it's full of as much meaning as the corporate speak in Wallace's review.

The other lower level league clubs don't begin to have comparable resources to us.

And achieved the non-negotiable goals of successive promotions.

Some youngsters have praised McCulloch for helping them progress... As has been said, if you take this playing youth to it's natural conclusion, it means playing 11 of them - what's the difference in that and the U21 league, except that they would be under incredible pressure in front of tens of thousands of fans for the results?

These arguments always seem to go round in circles with the proponents claiming that Hutton is 23 and Little is 24 and so don't count, but it just suggests that players over 22 should never be played and should retire from the game.

You have to wonder what people want to achieve and why they think that a guys in their mid to late 20's and early 30's are too old to play football.

I want to achieve promotion and then become champions of Scotland, and if that means avoiding playing a bunch of youngsters, most of whom have no chance of making it to the top, in some fantasy that they will all become world class, then that's all well and good to me.

The team could have picked themselves and won back to back promotions. That was never up for debate. Playing 11 youths? Why is that the natural conclusion? The ideal teams have a mix of youths and experience. That is the best philosophy. Considering Little doesn't play for us, no he doesn't count. And the reason they are not considered youths is because...they are not youths.

PS - Lee McCulloch is vastly overpaid and should have left ages ago. Nobody else would have him on anything near the same wage.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Yes.

Cuellar

Boumsong

A.Hutton

All in a heartbeat.

Boumsong is 34 and hasn't played since his contract was up at Panathinaikos at the end of 2012/13. Not a step forward.

Hutton is still with Villa for another season and as was seen when he had the chance to go to Mallorca permanently, money is uppermost on his mind. Perhaps next season when he's a free agent and still only 30.

You have to hope we've been in touch with Cuellar; he's a free agent now and only 32. Bit injury prone, only played 94 league games for Villa in 4 seasons and 30 for Sunderland in 3 seasons; but would be easily better than anything else we have or are likely to have. Money would be an issue of course but it would give him an opportunity to make good on his statements in 2008 "I want to stay at Rangers for life." and "When I told Martin Bain on Sunday that I wanted to leave, I did so with sadness. The Rangers supporters have been fantastic to me, but I am young and want to play at the highest level and I hope they will always welcome me back. I want to thank them for everything." And an opportunity to take Rangers back to the top.