Surely the Motherwell result is as bad, if not worse than our Malmo one? Which puts McCall in the same bracket as McCoist, or McCoist in the same bracket as McCall? That's another one to tick off the list of possible replacements.

You've got to admit that postmen seem to make pretty good footballers, though not quite as good as they used to be at cycling in the US.

Ah, but unlike the yanks, the Icelanders will be clean.

I am proud to be Scottish as well as proud to be from Glasgow and a Rangers fan. I have amended the OP accordingly.

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion, no doubt shared by many; personally I take no pride in the failings of any of Scotland's teams in Europe.

Normally I'd have said the same but the summer of 2012 changed everything for me. The 10 clubs who voted Rangers out the top division now need to be asked why they took that decision. Until they come out & explain their decision I shall fervently hope they lose every game they play in such as these. The collapse of the BTC means the only feeble reason they had was the newco nonsense which holds no water as Hibz did the same thing in 1991 and weren't voted out.

Normally I'd have said the same but the summer of 2012 changed everything for me. The 10 clubs who voted Rangers out the top division now need to be asked why they took that decision. Until they come out & explain their decision I shall fervently hope they lose every game they play in such as these. The collapse of the BTC means the only feeble reason they had was the newco nonsense which holds no water as Hibz did the same thing in 1991 and weren't voted out.

I understand that point of view completely and it is one that is held by a great many people, although the Clubs voted based on what was in front of them at the time.

Nonetheless, my feeling is that we will be playing them again in the not too distant future (and some next season!) and that we need to move on. I will visit those Club's grounds whenever I can get a ticket becasuse I put supporting the team ahead of any feelings of ill will towards them.

I understand that point of view completely and it is one that is held by a great many people, although the Clubs voted based on what was in front of them at the time.

Nonetheless, my feeling is that we will be playing them again in the not too distant future (and some next season!) and that we need to move on. I will visit those Club's grounds whenever I can get a ticket becasuse I put supporting the team ahead of any feelings of ill will towards them.

And that's fair enough - but we can visit their grounds yet still wish them to get beat in every game they play, Europe included.

Surely the Motherwell result is as bad, if not worse than our Malmo one? Which puts McCall in the same bracket as McCoist, or McCoist in the same bracket as McCall? That's another one to tick off the list of possible replacements.

Sweden are ranked 24th in the UEFA coefficients and Iceland 37th, so I'd say getting beat by an Icelandic team is worse.

The only redeeming feature is that both the Swedes and the Icelanders play spring-autumn seasons which does mean that it is very difficult to play those teams in July when our Clubs have not had a comptetitve match and they are half way through their seasons. This shouldn't be underestimated.

When we lost in Malmo, Scotland was 15th and Sweden was 28th; Rangers were ranked 33rd in Europe and Malmo were completely unranked (currently 233rd) so it WAS a TERRIBLE result for us. (Slovakia 25th/Maribor 217th). At the time I think we all felt that getting beaten by Maribor who were more not much more than amateurs getting paid about €1,000/month was a worse result but in hindsight perhaps Malmo was rock bottom. Interesting too that Maribor have climbed to 99th and are possible opponents for Celtic in the Play-Off Round if both win their 3rdQR ties.

Looking at the last 5 seasons, Rangers have only dropped below Celtic because of inactivity in Europe these last two years (we're still 92nd), Motherwell have moved between 183rd and 191st, Malmo have never been above 216th (2012) but Maribor have improved every season since 2010.

Interesting. I take it, therefore, that you'll be wanting celtic to win their next round?

I think I have made my opinion clear on this as I have done in the past.

It is in the best interests of all Scottish Clubs playing in Europe or who might play in Europe that all scottish Clubs perform well so as to boost the coefficient. In the past Celtic and others have benefited from our performances, most notably in 2007/08 and we and others have benefited from Celtic's performances most notably in 2002/03 & 2003/04.

I just don't want to see Celtic win anything, that would be too much to bear.

Now I'll get my tin hat on.

Is it not now proven to be the case these 10 clubs took a decision based on deliberately inaccurate information aimed at causing the maximum possible damage to Rangers? The decision to eject Rangers from the top division has cost Rangers well into tens of millions of pounds in lost revenue. Will the board make any attempt to recover that lost revenue from either these ten clubs or the SFA itself who should have taken any such decision?

Is it not now proven to be the case these 10 clubs took a decision based on deliberately inaccurate information aimed at causing the maximum possible damage to Rangers? The decision to eject Rangers from the top division has cost Rangers well into tens of millions of pounds in lost revenue. Will the board make any attempt to recover that lost revenue from either these ten clubs or the SFA itself who should have taken any such decision?

What information do you regard as "deliberately inaccurate"? The fact that we have been exonerated in the BTC doesn't mean it wasn't accurate information at the time. I have said in another thread that I think there is a possibility that we might recover some TV & prize money but obviously not transfer fees that were due, albeit by oldco, because you can't expect the Clubs to repay that. Also our playing in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th tiers has indeed cost us money but perhaps not as much as might be thought as ST numbers and attendances were high for the last two seasons at least albeit at lower prices. And what of the Clubs in the lower reaches who have benefited; the corollary of us getting money back would be that they would lose money. Are they to unbuild the new terraces etc that they have put up? Of course we lost sponsorhsip and European money etc but how would you quantify that?

The big issue would be the cost effectiveness of any such action; care would need to be taken to ensure that the lawyers weren't the biggest earners.

Negotiation seems the best way forward to me.