SO that was North America, a place which brought the touring Rangers squad mixed results and mixed fortunes during its stay in the United States and Canada over the last two weeks.

Was the trip perfect? With over 14,000 miles flown, a few injuries picked up on the way and goals conceded in three games out of four – one of those a defeat – it’s hard to argue it was.

But did it serve a purpose? Absolutely. Scorelines from across the Atlantic might not have been convincing but being there has allowed Gers to keep building well ahead of 2014/15.

Despite what the world might think at present following the unrelenting happiness of the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony, Scottish people are naturally quite pessimistic.

The old phrase which claims some are only happy if there’s something to complain about springs to mind and that’s certainly the case with certain Light Blues fans I know.

While there are undoubtedly things Ally McCoist will wish had gone differently, he has more positives to reflect on than you might think.

Following the intense schedule in Brora at the start of the month, further double sessions abroad – particularly in California – have helped increase fitness levels again.

As the pool settles into a more regular training programme after the weekend, any lingering weariness will go and the players will get sharper as they freshen up.

Although the team itself still has to click into gear, individuals within it gave enough food for thought during our fortnight away.

Kenny Miller’s finishing might not be as consistent as he’s hoping it will become yet but his running and intelligence will help Rangers a lot this season.

Nicky Law produced a fine finish to win the game in the final match against Ottawa Fury – Gers’ best display of their four – and he looks alert and hungry too.

Ian Black falls into that category as well while Stevie Smith has continued his good form from the end of last term and looks as fast and direct as ever.

Lee Wallace has made a strong recovery from the hip problem which ended his campaign early in April as he limped out of the Challenge Cup final defeat to Raith Rovers.

But the biggest plus of all isn’t just Lewis Macleod’s return to action but the way he has come in and stamped his mark on the team already off the back of nearly six months out.

Few were left in any doubt of how seriously under threat the 20-year-old’s career was when he took unwell at the start of the year.

A bad reaction to a virus left him in real danger of having to think of hanging up his boots and there was a genuine chance he’d never have the chance to fulfil his very clear potential.

Thankfully Macleod has made a full recovery and so far it looks like he has never been out of the side.

Against Sacramento Republic, he grew in stature the more the game went on and I was impressed by his temperament as he kept his cool despite one heavy challenge after another.

Four days later at Ottawa, his footwork at times was sublime and you’ll already be hard pushed to find a better piece of skill this season than his turn to set up Law’s goal.

The way he stood on the ball then turned away from two men was so elegant and it was the type of move you simply don’t tire of watching.

Already there’s a clamour once again in some quarters for McCoist to move Macleod inside and give him a more central role in his midfield.

Over time, I fully expect him to take a place there and he’ll both flourish and relish the responsibility such a position entails.

But for now, I don’t think it’s a bad thing for him to continue on the left side for the simple reason it’s an area he and the team profits from.

Sitting narrower than a natural winger would, he allows Wallace to get forward with good effect and the two combine very well down that side.

It’s worth remembering that when Rangers played their best football of last season in the early part of the campaign, those two players got a lot of joy together on the left.

I’m not sure having someone else in Macleod’s present position would bear the same fruit and if he was central in a 4-4-2 shape, Wallace certainly wouldn’t get upfield as much.

I look forward to seeing Macleod take command and dictate from the middle over time but for now he’s doing a lot for Gers where he is.

And as McCoist’s team gets stronger in the weeks ahead, I’ve every faith the club’s most outstanding emerging talent can influence games just as much from slightly wider out.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/opinion/item/7321-best-left-where-he-is

An unusually critical piece from Andrew Dickson and he makes a very good point about McLeod playing LMF allowing Wallace more freedom to attack. He may well have been prompted to write this but it is true nonetheless.

The old phrase which claims some are only happy if there’s something to complain about springs to mind and that’s certainly the case with certain Light Blues fans I know.

The old phrase which claims many Light Blues fans are blind in their loyalty as they didn't question the regime in a meaningful and timely manner springs to mind.

Omnishambles FC........................But apparently nowt to complain about

Mr.Dickson must have been drinking the same stuff that Graham Wallace was prior to telling us about our robust finances.

The old phrase which claims many Light Blues fans are blind in their loyalty as they didn't question the regime in a meaningful and timely manner springs to mind.

Omnishambles FC........................But apparently nowt to complain about

Mr.Dickson must have been drinking the same stuff that Graham Wallace was prior to telling us about our robust finances.

Yes but do you not agree with the general thrust of the article.

You can read the reason for playing him at lm and it can make sense. The real problem is that ally does not trust mcleod in the middle, replacing one of the experienced pros. God forbid the loon might go of on a midfield run into the box, like durrant in his heydey, and expose our soft centre defence!! Hutton, now thats ok as he just sits in and does nothing fancy , or actually just nothng!

You can read the reason for playing him at lm and it can make sense. The real problem is that ally does not trust mcleod in the middle, replacing one of the experienced pros. God forbid the loon might go of on a midfield run into the box, like durrant in his heydey, and expose our soft centre defence!! Hutton, now thats ok as he just sits in and does nothing fancy , or actually just nothng!

I'd have Hutton for Black in my team any day of the week.

But you're right about McLeod. Fact is Law and Black HAVE to play because of the wages they're on, ergo McLeod on the left because he's too good to be left out. Nothing about tactics at all; but the thrust of the article is to make to make it seem that it is a well thought out tactical plan, it's not, it's just opportunistic.

I'd have Hutton for Black in my team any day of the week.

But you're right about McLeod. Fact is Law and Black HAVE to play because of the wages they're on, ergo McLeod on the left because he's too good to be left out. Nothing about tactics at all; but the thrust of the article is to make to make it seem that it is a well thought out tactical plan, it's not, it's just opportunistic.

Juan Román Riquelme ?

:confused: